walkhighlands

Long-running quiz threads, photo competitions and post-a-photo threads. Please keep them here to keep the General Discussion board tidy.

Photo Competition Comments

Re: Photo Competition Comments

Postby jacob » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:51 am

I read this:

Got no chance but its the taking part that's important.....apparently!!

as someone's comment on his/her own photo. Made me think of this joke by a Belgium comedian:

"My father taught me that in having extramaritial affairs, there's no winners, only loosers.................But taking part is more important than winning" :wink:
jacob

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:19

Postby Sgurr » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:27 pm

Photo of the double brocken spectre in Arran on my short list for next month already if Carole re-posts it. A cracking photo (Sorry, started to post this on the Competition thread, and realised it was out of order).
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby jacob » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:33 pm

@MalGrey, concerning your photo in the #50 competition (Feb. 2016)

Reminded me of these series. I imagined you'll like them.

http://www.hikingonthemoon.com/en/waves-vs-mountains-by-ray-collins/
jacob

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:19

Postby xpfloyd » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:05 pm

jmarkb - your photo in the feb 16 comp "Sunrise with nacreous clouds, Edinburgh" reminds me that I saw these clouds last month above Glasgow one morning (might have been the same day?). Never seen anything like it in my life and didnt know what they were called. Pretty surreal looking clouds
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   

Postby Mal Grey » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:42 pm

jacob wrote:@MalGrey, concerning your photo in the #50 competition (Feb. 2016)

Reminded me of these series. I imagined you'll like them.

http://www.hikingonthemoon.com/en/waves-vs-mountains-by-ray-collins/

Many thanks, those are excellent, very distinctive.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby jmarkb » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:47 pm

xpfloyd wrote: Never seen anything like it in my life and didnt know what they were called. Pretty surreal looking clouds

You most likely saw them the same day.
There's a good explanation of them here:
http://www.atoptics.co.uk/highsky/nacr1.htm - not very common at these latitudes and usually associated with stormy weather. Did you see the news piece on here? http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/news/nacreous-clouds-better-than-photoshop/0014432/
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby BobMcBob » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:08 pm

In this Februarys' comp, Tinto63 noticed:

"Anyone else notice the variations in the interpretation of 'sky blue' / 'blue sky' in this month's entries?"

And it's true, there was a huge variation. But the colour of the sky is not constant. It varies dramatically with time of day, time of year, and angle of the camera to the sun. It's one of my favourite things to play with. It also, in my recent experience, varies quite a lot with make and model of camera. Anybody else noticed this?
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:18 pm

BobMcBob wrote:In this Februarys' comp, Tinto63 noticed:

"Anyone else notice the variations in the interpretation of 'sky blue' / 'blue sky' in this month's entries?"

And it's true, there was a huge variation. But the colour of the sky is not constant. It varies dramatically with time of day, time of year, and angle of the camera to the sun. It's one of my favourite things to play with. It also, in my recent experience, varies quite a lot with make and model of camera. Anybody else noticed this?

You are quite right of course, I think it's the white balance and colour saturation that can change dramatically. I've even noticed different lenses on the same camera can have a noticeable effect on colour saturation. As for the necreous clouds In my shot and another the sky was really strangely dark in comparison to the clouds, very odd light indeed.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby jupe1407 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:51 am

BobMcBob wrote:In this Februarys' comp, Tinto63 noticed:

For me, lenses are the biggest factor. I generally shoot with a Canon 6D. I used to take it up hills with an old Canon EF 28-80mm zoom which I picked up on e-bay for about £50, good at the time though and I got some good images with it. I eventually plumped for a 16-35mm EF L, and the difference in colour and image quality is quite profound.

I recently started taking a Sony A6000 CSC camera on hillwalks instead, as it's much lighter, has decent image quality and takes up virtually no space at all. The difference in tone of unprocessed RAW images between the Sony and the Canon is very noticeable.
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby xpfloyd » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:20 pm

For those that are interested google nik collection is totally free as of today! https://www.google.com/nikcollection/

Color efex pro and silver efex pro are my personal faves and I hear good things about viveza too.

Highly recommended to those that like to post process
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:31 pm

xpfloyd wrote:For those that are interested google nik collection is totally free as of today! https://www.google.com/nikcollection/

Color efex pro and silver efex pro are my personal faves and I hear good things about viveza too.

Highly recommended to those that like to post process

Cheers Eddie, excellent heads up! :thumbup:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby BobMcBob » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:51 pm

We seem to be having some problems with Flickr at the moment. Over the past 48 hours I've been viewing the competition thread and photos that are Flickr links have intermittently been invisible to me. Flickr's been a bit rubbish for some time.

Could I please ask that if you view the Comp thread and there are photos you can't see that you PM me to let me know and I'll compile the results. If it turns out that linking to Flickr it becoming increasingly unreliable (Yahoo are in deep financial trouble) I may update the comp guidelines to recommend not linking to Flickr.

Cheers,

Bob
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby mountainstar » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:39 am

BobMcBob wrote:We seem to be having some problems with Flickr at the moment. Over the past 48 hours I've been viewing the competition thread and photos that are Flickr links have intermittently been invisible to me. Flickr's been a bit rubbish for some time.

Could I please ask that if you view the Comp thread and there are photos you can't see that you PM me to let me know and I'll compile the results. If it turns out that linking to Flickr it becoming increasingly unreliable (Yahoo are in deep financial trouble) I may update the comp guidelines to recommend not linking to Flickr.

Cheers,

Bob

I swapped from Photobucket to Flickr some time ago, as I was getting the problem of photo's disappearing temporarily if they were getting a lot of views in the given month, and getting constant emails to update (pay for) my account.
I've not had the problem (I don't think) with Flickr yet. :(
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby Mal Grey » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:26 am

Had the same issue as Mountainstar with Photobucketofpoo, and moved to Flickr. Not noticed any problems since, so interesting to hear what you say.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby soapy27 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:22 am

Thanks for the heads up. I've checked on my laptop ,phone and works computer and I can see all the flickr photos in the comp. Seems strange it's just some people can't see it. Would you like me to repost the photo ?
soapy27
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:175
Fionas:23   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:54   
Islands:23

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Photo threads, comps and quizzes