walkhighlands

Long-running quiz threads, photo competitions and post-a-photo threads. Please keep them here to keep the General Discussion board tidy.

Photo Competition Comments

Re: Photo Competition Comments

Postby gammy leg walker » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:42 pm

Gammy! - camera details? And dinnae just put "point and shoot" cos thats what we all do! :lol: Also it's 2014 now. :roll: :lol:[/quote]

My camera is a thingumyjig I set the shutter speed to zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby electricfly » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:46 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:My camera is a thingumyjig I set the shutter speed to zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Ah yes, think I owned one of them in the seventies. Problem was, everytime I collected my photies from Boots, they all turned out like this!..

:lol: :crazy: :lol:
electricfly

Munros:282   Corbetts:34
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:45   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:22 pm

David Main's camera is a Nikon D3100 and he used a Sigma 10-20mm lens
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:48 pm

gammy leg walker's camera is a point and shoot................no sorry, a Fuji 650 :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Postby SusieThePensioner » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:34 pm

Gareth Harper's camera info..........."it's m4/3 camera - Panasonic G1".
SusieThePensioner

Postby Gareth Harper » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:42 pm

Do not understand why you insist on entrants stating what camera they use.
It's irrelevant. A camera is a camera.
I certainly don't look at a picture and think - I wonder what camera was used for that.
Of the entrants so far this month I am familiar with only 5 of the cameras used (I just scrolled through and looked), or 6 if you include mine. I'd have to look the rest up, they mean absolutely nothing to me.
I don't get it.

Editing allowed? What does that mean. Strange statement. :?
Gareth Harper

Munros:204   Corbetts:82
Fionas:26   Donalds:50
Sub 2000:6   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Tue May 06, 2014 5:41 pm

As most people know, I took over the running of this competition at the start of the year and have just continued with the format. The rules were put in place a couple of years ago, as far as I'm aware, but, some people have questioned as to why the camera information is required.

I would appreciate hearing what other people think and, whether this should be something that needs to be given when entering the competition. Also, are there other things that should be changed or included? This competition is meant to be a FUN event but, I don't want it to disintegrate into chaos!!

Please let me know what you think :)
SusieThePensioner

Postby clivegrif » Tue May 06, 2014 6:31 pm

Hi Susie

At the risk of sounding like a boring anorak, I actually do find the camera details and settings to be useful.

I'm still very much at the learning stage, and the details provided often help with the 'How on earth did they do that?' question.

Its a great fun competition, but it is also a great way to pick up tips on how to take better pictures.

Thanks again for running it! :clap:
clivegrif
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:37
Fionas:15   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:194
Wainwrights:50   Islands:3

Postby Gareth Harper » Tue May 06, 2014 8:21 pm

Firstly thanks for running the competition Susie.

I am somebody who's quite passionate about snaps.
I think photographs are, well just that, they should stand alone.
It doesn't matter what camera or lens you used, and in a competition there should be no need to state what equipment you used.
When ever I post pictures online I strip out all that information out, ie the exif details. I want people to look at the image not technical information.

I also don't understand the statement - photo editing is permitted. If I shoot digital I shoot raw files, without editing they could never become photographs. If I shoot film, say b&w film which I used to love to use, I am already editing as I process the film, the choice of developer and my preference for creating flat low contrast negatives. In the darkroom I'd select the paper I want, the contrast, I might even pre-expose the paper a little, then dodge and burn varying the exposure across the paper. I might also use a toner, sometimes I'd split tone using two toners. It's all editing. Editing is to be encouraged, not discouraged. Film or digital cameras do not see as we see, nor are they emotional, do you want to recreate what you saw, or what you felt when you took the picture, through editing you can do either.

I'd often tell people the difference between a dull run of the mill snaps and a stunning photograph is often in the finish - ie the editing.

I also later when doing photo jobs, well I'd ink over the camera logos, scratch em off or use tape to cover em. It made life easier, quite a lot of people do it.

I can be quite interested in equipment when I want to, I'm very fussy about the gear I purchase and I want it to last, but I don't want to state what camera I'm using when I post an image.

Anybody who wants to know can just ask. Same if you are learning (every day is a school day), anybody can ask or start a thread. I've certainly learned loads over the years from the wonder that is the internet.

But naw as a snapper I just don't like stating routinely, what camera, lens, ISO, shutter speed etc etc next to a picture.
Gareth Harper

Postby RicKamila » Tue May 06, 2014 9:11 pm

Gareth. I set the rules two and a bit years ago when i started this competition. Susie has decided to keep them and for the majority they are a non-issue.

Really there are only three requirements. Taken the previous month - list the date, location and camera used.

Camera information required is useful as it gives you an idea of what other users are using. I like to compare what my photos with the Fujifilm are like compared to others and my own editing of photos.

Photo editing rule is there because a year or so ago there were people up in arms about some winning entries being highly edited so I had to enter this rule and point out its not going to guarantee votes, and infact that month a plain point and shoot photo won it. I also like to see how people edit their photos and it gives me inspiration too.

Rules don't please everyone, but at the end of the day, you seem to be the only one having an issue with them. Is it really such a big deal?
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby Gareth Harper » Tue May 06, 2014 11:18 pm

Rick, film cameras are light tight boxes, digital camera record ones and zeros, they are of little importance.

But,OK,OK, I'll withdraw from the competition. It's not a problem.
Gareth Harper

Postby Tinto63 » Wed May 07, 2014 8:45 am

Firstly, Gareth please don't quit the competition because of the need to state the camera used, many of your images are truly stunning. Secondly, I'm very grateful to both Rik and Susie for the opportunity to a) see how many talented photographers use this site and b) display some of my modest efforts.

I find the need to state the camera used a handy guide when picking my top three, I'll certainly have a preference for those great photographs taken on phones or point and shoot compacts. At the same time I fully appreciate the time and trouble of those walkers who are prepared to haul a full frame dslr, a bag full of lenses and a tripod to the top of a munro, often in the dark, in their quest for the perfect dawn shot.

Finally, my understanding is that this competition is open to all WH members, whether they consider themselves photographers or just happy snappers - photography is a broad church, and there is plenty of room for all of us. I'd like to see more people both submitting photos each month and voting.
Tinto63
Wanderer

Munros:129   Corbetts:46
Fionas:38   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:30   

Postby xpfloyd » Wed May 07, 2014 10:09 am

Its all meant to be fun but there will always be a camp that thinks photo editing is the devils work and others that think its an absolute necessity to achieve a wall hanger type photo (I fall under that banner). There are some that think a photo should be an exact replication of what you saw with the eye, and there are others that believe photographs are art and edit them to achieve their vision of the scene wether it true to life or not.

Theres no right and no wrongs and everyone is allowed their opinion. I have even been branded part of the "touch up brigade" on this forum as I post process my shots :)

With ragards to stating the camera used, I dont think its all that necessary personally, after all its the phtoographer and not the equipment and all that, but it doesnt bother me that I have to state it. I sometimes even state my ISO, Aperture and exposure times as I find these useful myself especially when I see a shot I like and want to compare the settings used to the settings that I think I would have used for the shot.

Gareth - Dont stop taking part just because you need to state the camera used, like I say, its all just a bit of fun and the more the merrier

Susie - Thanks for continuing the competition this year, I do enjoy looking at everyones photos each month
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   

Postby rohan » Wed May 07, 2014 11:22 am

xpfloyd; absolutely, my feelings too.

Susie, you are doing a great job dealing with the spectrum of photographers that enter this, long may you continue.

Rohan
rohan

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Wed May 07, 2014 12:13 pm

I'm not really 100% sure just what Gareth's problem with saying what camera he uses is or why it's necessary to state it to be honest. :? but being as it's an inoffensive rule I have no issue either way.

I also like to continue on Eddie's (xpfloyd) comments as regards processing an image. I personally do not like the term editing, I manually process the RAW files I take with my camera. This requires more time and effort than letting a dumb computer inside a point and shoot (or DSLR for that matter) make a bit of a mess of processing whenever the light is in anyway difficult. Given my aim is to extract as much detail from the RAW file this is hardly editing, far from it, I'm not putting anything else in and in actual fact showing more of what was really there than any computer generated jpeg can ever manage. For me editing is when some unwanted object is cloned out of an image and in some ways this is cheating to a degree. Personally I feel my photos are a more honest and accurate depiction of "what was really there" when I go this way about getting results.
The human eye has a far greater range of different light that can be seen at the same time than any camera yet devised, by processing images correctly this can be compensated for. How many people have holiday snaps taken at sunset where trees, people, buildings are silhouetted against the sky? Nothing wrong with this type of picture but I'll bet you this isn't what your eye saw at the time just a symptom of the cameras inability to deal with the range of light.
Sorry for going off topic but I'm a bit bored :wink:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Photo threads, comps and quizzes