walkhighlands

Long-running quiz threads, photo competitions and post-a-photo threads. Please keep them here to keep the General Discussion board tidy.

Photo Competition Comments

Re: Photo Competition Comments

Postby BobMcBob » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:13 pm

Can anyone see Mal Grey's image on his entry in the current Photo Comp (March 2017)?

Just checking to see if it's just me that can't.
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby Sgurr » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:46 pm

You can see it (or at least I can) if you click on the top flickr link rather than on the little symbol.

https://flic.kr/p/SNMzRr
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Mal Grey » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:14 pm

Thanks BobMcBob for sorting this whilst I'm windbound on a loch and incapable of working out how to do it on the mobile...
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby nigheandonn » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:32 am

This seems to be the month of boats!
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby Mal Grey » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:56 am

nigheandonn wrote:This seems to be the month of boats!

Indeed. Fortunately, I am partial to an image with boats in.

Ironic really, for me, in that I have probably 10000 images of/from canoeing, yet not a single decent image to post from May.... :D
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Postby BobMcBob » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:01 pm

It's also the month when I forgot how to count. Just noticed I've called it Competition #64 when it's actually #65. The perils of cut'n'paste :) We'll just have to run the whole thing again now ;)
BobMcBob
Rambler

Postby Sgurr » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:11 pm

BobMcBob wrote:It's also the month when I forgot how to count. Just noticed I've called it Competition #64 when it's actually #65. The perils of cut'n'paste :) We'll just have to run the whole thing again now ;)

I'm quite happy. Now I see what a lot of boats there are, I could easily dig out a sheep one instead...sure it would have much the same result.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Tinto63 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:13 pm

...... and this was the version that I really wanted to submit......
:lol:

DSC_9132_01.JPG
Tinto63
Wanderer

Munros:129   Corbetts:46
Fionas:38   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:30   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:45 pm

An interesting point made by Rockhopper :? With Bob away I'm not sure we're going to get clarification on this issue quickly.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby Mal Grey » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:47 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote:An interesting point made by Rockhopper :? With Bob away I'm not sure we're going to get clarification on this issue quickly.

YEah, tricky one. I just posted this on the thread (I know we're not supposed to comment there but I think it needed a reply and that we should leave it to voters to decide in Bob's abscence)

"I interpret that rule as entering only one image each month, not that it can't be a composite. There have been panoramas in the past which presumably are stitched either in camera or afterwards? So to me, Graham's is one photo of a place on a certain night, which is composed of a number of images to make a scene that we may or may not want to vote for. Leave it to the individual voters to decide if they think its acceptable by voting, to me it is."
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:21 pm

Mal Grey wrote:
johnkaysleftleg wrote:An interesting point made by Rockhopper :? With Bob away I'm not sure we're going to get clarification on this issue quickly.

YEah, tricky one. I just posted this on the thread (I know we're not supposed to comment there but I think it needed a reply and that we should leave it to voters to decide in Bob's abscence)

"I interpret that rule as entering only one image each month, not that it can't be a composite. There have been panoramas in the past which presumably are stitched either in camera or afterwards? So to me, Graham's is one photo of a place on a certain night, which is composed of a number of images to make a scene that we may or may not want to vote for. Leave it to the individual voters to decide if they think its acceptable by voting, to me it is."

That would tend to be my feelings also but I think a definitive ruling for next month as to allow composite images or not may be helpful. Personally once again I'm with you on the images taken at the same time/place should be fine.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby jupe1407 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:36 am

You could argue that the final shot submitted is a single image taken within the required timescale. It just happens to be composed of a lot of raw files....
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby grahamw » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:48 am

First of all apologies if I've entered a photo that doesn't comply with the rules - this was not intentional!! if it's causing to much hassle this month then I won't be offended if you exclude it from this months competition. Whatever the decision is it's cool with me :D

On the other hand and may'be something to consider going forward - A lot of people shoot HDR or bracketed images of the same scene to control the dynamic range of an image then blend them in post. I do this often as sometimes I don't have the correct filters to capture the scene in one shot.

I have also saw images in this competition in the past where the milky way has been captured really well and blended with a 2nd image where the foreground is exposed correctly. This is the exact same concept that I applied, except I took one image for the foreground, left the camera on a timer taking 184 images to capture the sense of time moving in the sky, the trails... while I sat freezing for an hour and a half waiting for it to finish haha

I've entered a star trails image before and nothing was mentioned then so i thought it was ok to enter a similar image again.

Just some food for thought going forward. :D
Thanks,
Graham
grahamw

Munros:85   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:4

Postby BobMcBob » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:10 pm

I am away but I'm keeping half an eye on what's going on.

For me Graham's image is fine. We've accepted composites and stitched panoramas in the past.

I'll change the wording of the rules to read 'image' rather than 'photo', which should fix the ambiguity.

rockhopper, if you'd like to change your vote again in light of this I'll accept it.
BobMcBob
Rambler

Postby xpfloyd » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:12 pm

I don’t see an issue with it either. I’ve posted panoramas in the past and also blended images to control dynamic range. Would be different if the rules stated no composites. I don’t see anything gained by banning them
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Photo threads, comps and quizzes