walkhighlands

Long-running quiz threads, photo competitions and post-a-photo threads. Please keep them here to keep the General Discussion board tidy.

Glen Shiel Photo Opportunities

Glen Shiel Photo Opportunities

Postby malrobb » Fri May 26, 2017 2:22 pm

Hi All,

Changing the usual stomping ground of Glencoe to do some Munros at Glen Shiel this Sunday onwards. Plan on doing the Saddle/Forcan Ridge and Sgurr na Sgine, , The South Glen Shiel Ridge and then the Brother's Ridge. Does anybody have any good spots for photography around there i.e. any must capture spots?

Grateful for any pointers or advice.

Thanks

Mal
malrobb
Mountain Walker

Munros:201   

Re: Glen Shiel Photo Opportunities

Postby Mal Grey » Fri May 26, 2017 9:42 pm

malrobb wrote:Hi All,

Changing the usual stomping ground of Glencoe to do some Munros at Glen Shiel this Sunday onwards. Plan on doing the Saddle/Forcan Ridge and Sgurr na Sgine, , The South Glen Shiel Ridge and then the Brother's Ridge. Does anybody have any good spots for photography around there i.e. any must capture spots?

Grateful for any pointers or advice.

Thanks

Mal

The "must capture" shots tend to be those of the 5 Sisters, e.g. from Mam Rattigan (road) pass. Dome rather a lot though!

I was rather struck by the view of the Forcan ridge whilst climbing Faochag, though the snow helped:

If you can get the light right, so the ridge is lit against shadow, its a remarkably alpine view.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby malrobb » Sat May 27, 2017 6:01 pm

Thanks Mal,

I will have a look at these locations now. Thanks for taking the time to respond and nice shot.

Cheers

Mal
malrobb
Mountain Walker

Postby jmarkb » Sat May 27, 2017 7:03 pm

I'm struggling to think of many good spots that you wouldn't naturally visit on the ridge traverses. There's a good view of Faochag and The Saddle from the main road at the battle site with the river and old bridge in the foreground: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/927999. The E face of Sgurr na Sgine could be good subject with its vertical rock ribs if you get the light right:https://www.flickr.com/photos/53725815@N00/3589996765
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby malrobb » Sat May 27, 2017 9:32 pm

Thanks jmarkb,

That first shot is a cracker and as you say, I think a lot of photo opportunities will present themselves. Thanks for taking the time to reply and send the links; much appreciated.
Off tomorrow and weather looking not too bad.

Thanks

mal
malrobb
Mountain Walker

Postby Sgurr » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:09 pm

The Forcan ridge from Faochaig is good. This is a rubbish pic taken pre-digital in 2003, but you get the idea

Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Photo threads, comps and quizzes