walkhighlands

Long-running quiz threads, photo competitions and post-a-photo threads. Please keep them here to keep the General Discussion board tidy.

Can I have a "P" please Bob - Scotland (2nd edition)

Re: Can I have a "P" please Bob - Scotland (2nd edition)

Postby rohan » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:45 pm

Sgurr wrote:Is it the Skyline Hill Race? Maybe was a turning point in getting Scotland on the international map of hill races. Haven't a clue.

Not a competitive event and the SHR was a one off although other similar incidents may also have driven different turning points.
rohan

Postby Glengavel » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:19 pm

rohan wrote:Brain fog must have got to Glengavel who got most of my puzzle correct in January 2021. T

Brain fog is my default state. Occasionally a shaft of enlightenment breaks through.

Is the R in SHR a revolt or rising?
Glengavel
Walker

Munros:29   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:29   Islands:19

Postby rohan » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:34 pm

Glengavel wrote:
rohan wrote:Brain fog must have got to Glengavel who got most of my puzzle correct in January 2021. T

Brain fog is my default state. Occasionally a shaft of enlightenment breaks through.

Is the R in SHR a revolt or rising?

Close, particularly to revolt but the participants were trying to suppress something and failed (hurrrah!)
rohan

Postby Sgurr » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:16 pm

Is it the Surgeon's Hall Riot, after which women could study medicine?
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby rohan » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:20 pm

Sgurr wrote:Is it the Surgeon's Hall Riot, after which women could study medicine?

It is indeed. In 1869 Seven women had been admitted to Edinburgh University (the first women in Britain to be admitted to university) to study medicine. They became known as the Edinburgh Seven. There was some opposition to their presence which was stirred up by Sir Robert Christison so much so that when one of the 7 came top in the first examinations that they sat, it was decided not to award her the Hope Scholarship ( awarded to the top 4 students) and it was awarded to the top 4 males in that year. The women suffered abuse from fellow male students and Christison's influnece was such that university staff who had supported them, withdrew their support. The press, however, were supportive. Hostility to them grew until the time of the anatomy exam in November 1970 when they found their way to the exam at Surgeon's Hall barred by a crowd of several hundred who started pelting them with mud. They only gained entrance to the exam with the help of sympathetic male student. The riot back-fired in that it galvanised support for the women and highlighted the case for women being able to study and practise medicine although it was some years before Scottish Universities did start to admit female students and another 100 or so years before women were admitted in equal numbers to men to study medicine, now they exceed men. I maybe should have used the women, as it was their perserverance before and after the riot that advanced the case for women doctors but seven sets of initials were a bit daunting.
rohan

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:59 am

rohan wrote:
Sgurr wrote:Is it the Surgeon's Hall Riot, after which women could study medicine?

It is indeed. In 1869 Seven women had been admitted to Edinburgh University (the first women in Britain to be admitted to university) to study medicine. They became known as the Edinburgh Seven. There was some opposition to their presence which was stirred up by Sir Robert Christison so much so that when one of the 7 came top in the first examinations that they sat, it was decided not to award her the Hope Scholarship ( awarded to the top 4 students) and it was awarded to the top 4 males in that year. The women suffered abuse from fellow male students and Christison's influnece was such that university staff who had supported them, withdrew their support. The press, however, were supportive. Hostility to them grew until the time of the anatomy exam in November 1970 when they found their way to the exam at Surgeon's Hall barred by a crowd of several hundred who started pelting them with mud. They only gained entrance to the exam with the help of sympathetic male student. The riot back-fired in that it galvanised support for the women and highlighted the case for women being able to study and practise medicine although it was some years before Scottish Universities did start to admit female students and another 100 or so years before women were admitted in equal numbers to men to study medicine, now they exceed men. I maybe should have used the women, as it was their perserverance before and after the riot that advanced the case for women doctors but seven sets of initials were a bit daunting.

By coincidence, last night we watched The Great British Menu, where an Edinburgh chef made a dish out of 7 local Scottish ingredients to celebrate the achievements of the Edinburgh Seven.

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby rohan » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:09 am

HalfManHalfTitanium wrote:
rohan wrote:

By coincidence, last night we watched The Great British Menu, where an Edinburgh chef made a dish out of 7 local Scottish ingredients to celebrate the achievements of the Edinburgh Seven.

Tim

Excellent! I've never watched that programme but I think I will watch that one now.
rohan

Postby Sgurr » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:40 am

EG the most celebrated P in the world comes from Scotland.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Postby RICHARDCFF » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:05 pm

The percussionist, Evelyn Glennie?
RICHARDCFF
Mountain Walker

Munros:280   Corbetts:34
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:15

Postby Sgurr » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:43 pm

RICHARDCFF wrote:The percussionist, Evelyn Glennie?

Correct. Hoped that would go quickly as once I had put it up beyond recall, I couldn't think of any subsidiary clues.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Postby RICHARDCFF » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:10 pm

WM was chief protaginost in the transformation of DP, A and DS
RICHARDCFF
Mountain Walker

Postby RICHARDCFF » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:25 pm

As a result of these transformations:
DP became TT
A became A
DS became TC
And there were others
RICHARDCFF
Mountain Walker

Postby RICHARDCFF » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:14 pm

EM was also involved in these tasks
RICHARDCFF
Mountain Walker

Postby Sgurr » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:49 pm

Is it Willa Muir's translations, some of which Edwin Muir helped with? Amerika became America, Der Process became The Trial, Das Schloss became The Castle.

I should have cottoned on FAR EARLIER. they lived in our house for a while.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Postby RICHARDCFF » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:08 pm

Yes it is, well done! :clap: :clap:

My picture clue of the Franz Kafka statue in Prague not now required!

Over to you...
RICHARDCFF
Mountain Walker

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Photo threads, comps and quizzes