walkhighlands

Long-running quiz threads, photo competitions and post-a-photo threads. Please keep them here to keep the General Discussion board tidy.

Can I have a "P" please Bob - Scotland (2nd edition)

Re: Can I have a "P" please Bob - Scotland (2nd edition)

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:57 am

rohan wrote:I've not been keeping up with this thread having had a series of visitors, the latest I took into Stonehaven today. I persuaded them to buy some Sunset Song beer (brewed by the local Burnside brewery) as my reisdence is mentioned 3 times in SS which is also my favourite Scottish fictional book. They have a young baby and are currently resting so I was catching up with this, recognised the answer (but Tim was already there) but have to add that the TV series captured the essence of Chris and the way of life in the Mearns 100 years ago whereas the film adaptation (IMHO) did not.

Thanks Glengavel!

Not seen the new film (I wasn't aware of it) but the old TV series was very good.

Complete the sequence -

BM, SA, CE ..
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby rohan » Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:58 am

I thought this was the sequence of Island Munros by height but came unstuck at CE of course. Tried Highest Island Munro, then Corbett but came unstuck after Ben More... back to the drawing board.
rohan

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:36 pm

rohan wrote:I thought this was the sequence of Island Munros by height but came unstuck at CE of course. Tried Highest Island Munro, then Corbett but came unstuck after Ben More... back to the drawing board.

Not too far away... no need to go all the way back to the drawing board....
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:58 am

HalfManHalfTitanium wrote:
rohan wrote:I thought this was the sequence of Island Munros by height but came unstuck at CE of course. Tried Highest Island Munro, then Corbett but came unstuck after Ben More... back to the drawing board.

Not too far away... no need to go all the way back to the drawing board....

The idea of hills is correct. The idea behind the sequence is P. P is used as part of the definition of Cs and Ms, but not Ms (I confess, that last bit is courtesy of Wikipedia)

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Postby rohan » Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:00 pm

I conclude that we are talking P for prominence and the definition applied to Corbetts is 500 ft or 152m drop on all sides and Marilyns 492 ft or 150m. but not Munros. You do not include Grahams in your clue but I wonder if we are talking highest island Marilyns so now I have to complete my research. I suspect someone who likes these facts and figures will be ahead of me!
rohan

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:51 pm

rohan wrote:I conclude that we are talking P for prominence and the definition applied to Corbetts is 500 ft or 152m drop on all sides and Marilyns 492 ft or 150m. but not Munros. You do not include Grahams in your clue but I wonder if we are talking highest island Marilyns so now I have to complete my research. I suspect someone who likes these facts and figures will be ahead of me!

I have to admit that I know very little about what makes a Corbett, a Marilyn etc. I mentioned them only as examples (which I found via Wikipedia) of where the idea of P (which you correctly identify as Prominence) is used.

My list has nothing to do with any particular classification of hills as Munros, Corbetts etc. And although one island (apart from Great Britain) features in the list, the puzzle is not specifically about islands.

The final name in my sequence is very well known.

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:19 pm

HalfManHalfTitanium wrote:
rohan wrote:I conclude that we are talking P for prominence and the definition applied to Corbetts is 500 ft or 152m drop on all sides and Marilyns 492 ft or 150m. but not Munros. You do not include Grahams in your clue but I wonder if we are talking highest island Marilyns so now I have to complete my research. I suspect someone who likes these facts and figures will be ahead of me!

I have to admit that I know very little about what makes a Corbett, a Marilyn etc. I mentioned them only as examples (which I found via Wikipedia) of where the idea of P (which you correctly identify as Prominence) is used.

My list has nothing to do with any particular classification of hills as Munros, Corbetts etc. And although one island (apart from Great Britain) features in the list, the puzzle is not specifically about islands.

The final name in my sequence is very well known.

Tim

Correction - rather than “one island (apart from Great Britain) features in the list” I meant to say “the name of the highest point of one island (apart from Great Britain) features in the list.”

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Postby Sgurr » Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:39 am

Is it BN? Pominence going upwards. Ben More, Sgurr Alasdair, Carn Eighe Ben Nevis??? Just back from the Lake District where mere pimples along a ridge count as separate Wainwrights (Rampsgill head anyone? it is virtually flat between it and Kidsty Pike.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:48 pm

Sgurr wrote:Is it BN? Pominence going upwards. Ben More, Sgurr Alasdair, Carn Eighe Ben Nevis??? Just back from the Lake District where mere pimples along a ridge count as separate Wainwrights (Rampsgill head anyone? it is virtually flat between it and Kidsty Pike.

Although rohan did the hard work, and got almost all the way up the hill :clap: :clap: :clap: , it is sgurr who has touched the cairn first :clap: :clap: :clap:

Yes - my list is the most prominent Scottish mountains, listed in ascending order. The Ben More above Crianlarich just sneaks into fourth place ahead of its namesake on Mull, and of course Ben Nevis tops the list.

Wainwright certainly had an idiosyncratic way of separating hills from each other, Ramsgill Head and Kidsty Pike being a classic case. I have just done a quick Google and Kidsty Pike has a prominence of 15m.

I quite like his eccentricity on this. Helvellyn Lower Man doesn't get a chapter - Stone Arthur does. My favourite is Mungrisedale Common - he treated it as a separate fell, while saying it was "a pudding that has been sat on". Perhaps giving it its own chapter was his idea of a joke. Or maybe it was just to pad out the slim-looking Northern Fells volume.

Sgurr, I hope you had a good holiday in the Lake District, and bagged a few Wainwrights (however they are defined). Over to you!

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Postby Sgurr » Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:16 pm

ER persuaded an O to leave usual haunts and visit the H

I bagged Birkhous Moor; Branstree & Selside Pike & Kidsty Pike, High Raise, Rampsgill Head & The Knott and had 2 ambling around days. Everthing was fine until about 250 metres from the car on the last day my left leg just crumpled beneath me & I don't know why. Luckily it could operate the clutch. It was bad for a day, but now seems to be on the mend, but rather alarming to contemplate what would have happened higher up. NHS 111 has referred me to some online exercises.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Postby Sgurr » Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:28 pm

All recorded for posterity.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Postby Sgurr » Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:50 pm

Sgurr wrote:All recorded for posterity.
In a book and on TV
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Postby Sgurr » Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:47 am

Neither are Scots, but have done much for Scotland.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Postby Sgurr » Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:24 pm

The O was AW
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:54 pm

Eric Robson persuaded outlander Alfred Wainwright to visit the Highlands?

tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Photo threads, comps and quizzes