walkhighlands

Long-running quiz threads, photo competitions and post-a-photo threads. Please keep them here to keep the General Discussion board tidy.

Can I have a "P" please Bob - Scotland (2nd edition)

Re: Can I have a "P" please Bob - Scotland (2nd edition)

Postby CharlesT » Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:21 pm

rohan wrote:I think this is overdue for a clue. Tea and biscuits are probably involved, particularly the latter but possibly not at No 10.

Alright I give in and return to the fray.
Sir Alexander Grant of McVitie's biscuits fame was allegedly given hus baronetcy by James Ramsay McDonald in return for providing the latter with a car and shares in McVitie's, the income from which would pay for its upkeep. They were lifelong friends..
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby rohan » Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:02 pm

CharlesT wrote:
rohan wrote:I think this is overdue for a clue. Tea and biscuits are probably involved, particularly the latter but possibly not at No 10.

Alright I give in and return to the fray.
Sir Alexander Grant of McVitie's biscuits fame was allegedly given hus baronetcy by James Ramsay McDonald in return for providing the latter with a car and shares in McVitie's, the income from which would pay for its upkeep. They were lifelong friends..

Thank-you Charles and you are correct. The subsequent inquiry cleared Ramsay McDonald of any wrongdoing. Alexander Grant gave away a lot of his acquired wealth including an endowment that enabled the setting up of the National Library of Scotland. He is also credited with developing the McVities digestive biscuit when he was just a humble baker with the company.
Good to see you back in the fray. Maybe you will wake us up a bit.
rohan

Postby CharlesT » Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:21 am

Thanks Rohan, just couldn't sit on my thumbs looking at the lack of responses.☹
Try this one, Ag and Aa are found in the UK only in a particular Scottish environment.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Postby CharlesT » Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:37 am

CharlesT wrote:Thanks Rohan, just couldn't sit on my thumbs looking at the lack of responses.☹
Try this one, Ag and Aa are found in the UK only in a particular Scottish environment.

Poles apart in origin, but together here, users of this site may have played a part in their discovery.

Clue, the italics are significant.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Postby rohan » Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:19 pm

This would be the recent discovery of Amanita groenlandica a species of fungi that has its origins in the Arctic and another fungus Acrodontium Antarcticum from Antartica. Both were discovered in the Cairngorms along with a previously unknown species from the Squamanita group of fungi. Amazing finds, great poser, good clues.
rohan

Postby CharlesT » Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:32 pm

rohan wrote:This would be the recent discovery of Amanita groenlandica a species of fungi that has its origins in the Arctic and another fungus Acrodontium Antarcticum from Antartica. Both were discovered in the Cairngorms along with a previously unknown species from the Squamanita group of fungi. Amazing finds, great poser, good clues.

Well done Rohan, it's amazing what can be lying unremarked until its looked for. Your go.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Postby rohan » Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:03 pm

it's amazing what can be lying unremarked until its looked for.
Indeed.
Thanks Charles. I am hoping this subject hasn't been covered before. I did a search on this site and it didn't come up.
Not a species as such but something else that has been found is the OV . It also has a less flattering soubriquet and is said to be the earliest of its kind in Scotland ('til others are found that is)
rohan

Postby rohan » Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:14 pm

If the OV is the high brow name for this find, the WW must be the low brow name and that could have two i s depending on how it is spelt. I make that two brows and possibly two things that sound like i. A word of caution though, it is a modern intepretation and may be something else.
rohan

Postby rohan » Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:13 pm

I was holding back more clues in the hopes that someone would know this but either people have better things to do at the moment or its not as easy as I thought. Time for a picture clue. The map is only a very rough depiction of the place. The drawing is more accurate (it was easier to draw). Could it also be the earliest depiction of circumflexes, full stops and a hashtag ever found?

Untitled-1.jpg
rohan

Postby CharlesT » Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:29 am

Think that is a map of Westray, so OV may be the Orkney Venus aka WW, Westray Wife. Can't identify the folks or the hieroglyphics at present.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Postby rohan » Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:33 am

CharlesT wrote:Think that is a map of Westray, so OV may be the Orkney Venus aka WW, Westray Wife. Can't identify the folks or the hieroglyphics at present.

Well done, Charles. I am surprised you recognised my crude drawing of Westray and not my copy of the face of the Westray Wifie (or Wife). The people were added to give a wider reach for people who may not be familiar with this find. The man is Michael Venus, a New Zealand tennis player and the woman is Rosa Nouchette Carey, the author of a book called "The Wee Wifie". It has nothing to do with the Orkney Venus except in its title and is apparently full of drugs and insanity.

I love the speculation about the Westray Wifie. I wonder what life forms will exist in this planet in 5,000 yrs time and what they will make of a find of a cindy doll with no arms dug out from somewhere.
Here is a (blurry) photo of my WW (bought from the heritage centre on Westray a few years ago) . At just over 4 cm it is lthe size of the original.
WW.jpg

Over to you.
rohan

Postby CharlesT » Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:12 am

I knew it was Orkney, so recognising Westray wasn't too hard.

What is this, where was it found and why is it important?
20220731_101025.jpg
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Postby rohan » Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:29 am

It looks a bit like the squashed snicker bar found at the bottom of my rucksack when I was down to my last peanut.
rohan

Postby CharlesT » Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:40 pm

rohan wrote:It looks a bit like the squashed snicker bar found at the bottom of my rucksack when I was down to my last peanut.

I favour Snickers too, though not in Winter when they would make good substitutes for housebricks.
Here's a wider view, which may help.
20220731_101324.jpg
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Postby CharlesT » Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:36 am

One of only two examples from Scotland, it evidences a capability previously only conjectured.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Photo threads, comps and quizzes