walkhighlands

Long-running quiz threads, photo competitions and post-a-photo threads. Please keep them here to keep the General Discussion board tidy.

Can I have a "P" please Bob - Scotland (2nd edition)

Re: Can I have a "P" please Bob - Scotland (2nd edition)

Postby Sgurr » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:51 pm

Awaiting another knock back with LLight, Caladh Beacon, and Beacon Hill
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby rohan » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:57 pm

Sgurr wrote:Awaiting another knock back with LLight, Caladh Beacon, and Beacon Hill

Knock back duly delivered but you have something not unrelated in there but only one correct word which you now know.

A Short Summary of what is known
H is Hill
I also suggested there maybe something in the 2 following statements as well

Glengavel wrote:Names with a common root

Sgurr wrote:They are all hills with different parts of their name meaning hill

but you know that they are not all hills so maybe play around with the above 2 statements.
In addition to Sgurr's correct word, Glengavel has one that could be 2
rohan

Postby rohan » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:20 pm

I think my clues are lost in translation...
rohan

Postby Glengavel » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:21 pm

There are two Loch Levens. Leven is possibly from the Gaelic for 'grey'. I'm baffled. EFW - Ettrick Forest Water?
Glengavel
Walker

Munros:29   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:29   Islands:19

Postby rohan » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:58 pm

Glengavel wrote:There are two Loch Levens. Leven is possibly from the Gaelic for 'grey'. I'm baffled. EFW - Ettrick Forest Water?

No but you still have one single word right that could be 2.... Gaelic does play a part but so do other languages.

You may have seen the a third of the answer as wrong answer on another thread in this forum but maybe not as I was expecting someone to jump on it.
rohan

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:29 pm

rohan wrote:
How may CB, LL and BH be related.

For clarification, none of these are animal; they are mineral but may have animal and vegetable in, on or about them

Bit of a wild guess. Are they all names with a word meaning "beacon"? Loch Lomond and Beacon Hill - sorry not sure about CB!

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby rohan » Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:47 pm

HalfManHalfTitanium wrote:
rohan wrote:
How may CB, LL and BH be related.

For clarification, none of these are animal; they are mineral but may have animal and vegetable in, on or about them

Bit of a wild guess. Are they all names with a word meaning "beacon"? Loch Lomond and Beacon Hill - sorry not sure about CB!

Tim

No, sorry but you are all in hovering around the answer. Both "Loch "and "Hill" are contained in the answer.Due to the poor weather today I have finally managed to do a picture clue. NB 3rd pic has had all significant names removed and please ignore the green highlighter, it is irrelevant. All the first 3 contain the relevant location (number 1 IS the location)
WH clues.jpg
rohan

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:08 pm

Is it place names that have the name twice?

Loch Loch, Cove Bay near Aberdeen? Not sure where BH is though...

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Postby rohan » Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:44 pm

HalfManHalfTitanium wrote:Is it place names that have the name twice?

Loch Loch, Cove Bay near Aberdeen? Not sure where BH is though...

Tim

Yes, they are all tautological names.. I will give it to you as it has been going on for toooo long! My clumsy attempts to include tautological statements in my replies weren't much help. ("short summary" "at the risk of repeatinmg myself, I will say again" etc. Sgurr got different names for hill but assigned them to different hills rather than the same hill. Glengavel had common root but in fact they are different roots for the same name.
Further info, there are at least 2 Cove Bays (there is one on the Moray Coast), only one Loch Loch ( I gave this as a reply a couple of days ago to the "Name that Loch" thread) but a few BINN HILL or BINNS HILL more being made as people are adding Hill to "The Binn" etc. The one here is juxtaposed with a large landfill site but the name precedes the landfill and is at NO 17134 13819 .
My favourite is Eas Fors Waterfall (Isle of Mull)which is Waterfall Waterfall Waterfall using Gaelic, Norse and English. Inverarish uses the Gaelic Inbhir(inver) for burn mouth and the Norse term Àrais also for burn mouth.
The one I found on the Watershed is Dod Hill. There is probably a group of avid tautologists ticking these things off (or there were before lockdown). The first tautological name I remember learning was "bunch of bunches" being an incorrect translation from the French grappe (bunch or cluster) de raisin hence the pictures of bunches of grapes.
Phew! over to you Tim
rohan

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:28 pm

Thanks rohan! My brain is a bit duff today: the word “tautology” eluded me when trying to explain my attempt at a solution, durr...

D was a source of help for C and C. One C was badly affected by a comma; the other C was properly speaking CFS, now properly speaking DRC, while D is often known as CD. Because of D, MC is usually written and spoken of wrongly as MC.

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:45 pm

HalfManHalfTitanium wrote:Thanks rohan! My brain is a bit duff today: the word “tautology” eluded me when trying to explain my attempt at a solution, durr...

D was a source of help for C and C. One C was badly affected by a comma; the other C was properly speaking CFS, now properly speaking DRC, while D is often known as CD. Because of D, MC is usually written and spoken of wrongly as MC.

Tim

Here’s some bits and bobs that may help.

D was Scottish: C and C weren’t. C and C were closely connected with each other. D was also connected to the CFs, and had a sporting connection (but this is not a sports puzzle - my sports knowledge is zero) with three others, one of them Scottish, whose creations (like D’s) are arguably more famous than they were. And although unconnected to Scotland, one of the Cs had a neighbour who made a bizarre claim regarding Scotland - so bizarre that film was named after it.

Hope something in that jumble of facts helps!

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Postby rohan » Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:35 pm

I am none the wiser but wonder if the film was anything to do with "The Last King of Scotland" although attributed to Idi Amin, who had a habit of awarding himself bizarre titles I think the suggestion was put forward by a reporter.
rohan

Postby Glengavel » Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:03 pm

I think rohan's on the right track. Congo, formerly Congo Free State and now Democratic Republic of the Congo, borders Uganda, and it was the late and unlamented Idi Amin who proclaimed himself 'King of Scotland'. I think the comma refers to the shape of the parasite which causes sleeping sickness, which wreaked havoc in the Congo, although HMTM's clue implies it's the other C which suffered. The other C could be Cameroon?

Absolutely no idea on D, or MC.
Glengavel
Walker

Munros:29   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:29   Islands:19

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:11 pm

rohan wrote:I am none the wiser but wonder if the film was anything to do with "The Last King of Scotland" although attributed to Idi Amin, who had a habit of awarding himself bizarre titles I think the suggestion was put forward by a reporter.

Well done rohan! :clap: - you are correct.

Alongside awarding himself the titles "Lord of all the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Sea, and Conqueror of the British Empire in Africa in General and Uganda in Particular" Idi Amin did also claim to be the king of Scotland, as well as establishing a Uganda Pipe Band - see https://www.scotsman.com/news/obituaries/idi-amin-2469224.

I have not seen the film, but I gather it focused more on Amin's buffonery than his brutality. Some of the events that are a background to my puzzle are equally terrible - but much longer ago - that may be a route into solving it!

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:17 pm

Glengavel wrote:I think rohan's on the right track. Congo, formerly Congo Free State and now Democratic Republic of the Congo, borders Uganda, and it was the late and unlamented Idi Amin who proclaimed himself 'King of Scotland'. I think the comma refers to the shape of the parasite which causes sleeping sickness, which wreaked havoc in the Congo, although HMTM's clue implies it's the other C which suffered. The other C could be Cameroon?

Absolutely no idea on D, or MC.

Sorry Glengavel - I saw rohan's post but not yours.

You are correct about Congo Free State etc - it is one of the Cs.

But the comma (if it really was a comma - some thought it was just a random mark) was bad news for the other C, not Congo Free State - as you note. It was nothing to do with sleeping sickness.

Written in full, the non-Congo C is RC.

Tim

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Photo threads, comps and quizzes