walkhighlands

Long-running quiz threads, photo competitions and post-a-photo threads. Please keep them here to keep the General Discussion board tidy.

Can I have a "P" please Bob - Scotland (2nd edition)

Re: Can I have a "P" please Bob - Scotland (2nd edition)

Postby Sgurr » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:01 pm

RICHARDCFF wrote:I would thoroughly recommend "Travels With a Donkey in the Cevennes", a very early account of a long distance walk that is often humorous and always fascinating. The "Stevenson Trail" is definitely on my list of walks to be done in the future...

Your go!

Customer of mine did that trail after his wife died and wrote an excellent book about it. Tho' I prefer his others.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Travel-Hopefully-Journal-Death-Foretold/dp/1861977085/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=Christopher+Rush&qid=1611410303&s=books&sr=1-4
User avatar
Sgurr
Munro compleatist
 
Posts: 4801
Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:219   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:138
Wainwrights:160   Islands:58
Joined: Nov 15, 2010
Location: Fife

Re: Can I have a "P" please Bob - Scotland (2nd edition)

Postby rohan » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:30 pm

Sgurr wrote:
RICHARDCFF wrote:I would thoroughly recommend "Travels With a Donkey in the Cevennes", a very early account of a long distance walk that is often humorous and always fascinating. The "Stevenson Trail" is definitely on my list of walks to be done in the future...

Your go!

Customer of mine did that trail after his wife died and wrote an excellent book about it. Tho' I prefer his others.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Travel-Hopefully-Journal-Death-Foretold/dp/1861977085/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=Christopher+Rush&qid=1611410303&s=books&sr=1-4


I love this quiz because it leads to hidden treasures. I have just been browsing some of Christopher Rush's work on Kindle. I am lining up a comprehensive reading list, along with "Travels with a Donkey". I'm afraid my current poser won't lead to any literary gems.
User avatar
rohan
 
Posts: 1138
Joined: Mar 12, 2012

Re: Can I have a "P" please Bob - Scotland (2nd edition)

Postby rohan » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:55 am

How may CB, LL and BH be related.


For clarification, none of these are animal; they are mineral but may have animal and vegetable in, on or about them
User avatar
rohan
 
Posts: 1138
Joined: Mar 12, 2012

Re: Can I have a "P" please Bob - Scotland (2nd edition)

Postby Sgurr » Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:27 pm

Largo Law, Cipheagil Beag and Ballincurra Hill are all Marilyns
User avatar
Sgurr
Munro compleatist
 
Posts: 4801
Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:219   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:138
Wainwrights:160   Islands:58
Joined: Nov 15, 2010
Location: Fife

Re: Can I have a "P" please Bob - Scotland (2nd edition)

Postby rohan » Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:38 pm

Sgurr wrote:Largo Law, Cipheagil Beag and Ballincurra Hill are all Marilyns


Wrong, but coincidentally you have one single word correct
User avatar
rohan
 
Posts: 1138
Joined: Mar 12, 2012

Re: Can I have a "P" please Bob - Scotland (2nd edition)

Postby Sgurr » Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:03 pm

OK Lumsden Law, Cnoc Buidhe and Back Hill are all Tumps or isn't it the Law that was correct?
User avatar
Sgurr
Munro compleatist
 
Posts: 4801
Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:219   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:138
Wainwrights:160   Islands:58
Joined: Nov 15, 2010
Location: Fife

Re: Can I have a "P" please Bob - Scotland (2nd edition)

Postby rohan » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:55 pm

Sgurr wrote:OK Lumsden Law, Cnoc Buidhe and Back Hill are all Tumps or isn't it the Law that was correct?


Apologies, I thought I had replied to this, I had not. You are off track. You are not looking for a single category of "thing" as in hills but there maybe a Hill (or Law or Ben) in there. There are more that I can add to the list or not add. Still only one single word correct. You have 2 that you have repeated from your first answer, take your pick of which is the correct one.
User avatar
rohan
 
Posts: 1138
Joined: Mar 12, 2012

Re: Can I have a "P" please Bob - Scotland (2nd edition)

Postby Sgurr » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:24 pm

They are all hills with different parts of their name meaning hill
L Law, Creag B and C Beinn
User avatar
Sgurr
Munro compleatist
 
Posts: 4801
Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:219   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:138
Wainwrights:160   Islands:58
Joined: Nov 15, 2010
Location: Fife

Re: Can I have a "P" please Bob - Scotland (2nd edition)

Postby rohan » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:21 pm

Sgurr wrote:They are all hills with different parts of their name meaning hill
L Law, Creag B and C Beinn


In my opinion, I think you are getting closer to the idea of what links them. Here is another in the series EFW, possibly my favourite. although I is a near close second.
User avatar
rohan
 
Posts: 1138
Joined: Mar 12, 2012

Re: Can I have a "P" please Bob - Scotland (2nd edition)

Postby Sgurr » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:42 pm

Are these all hills on the watershed?
User avatar
Sgurr
Munro compleatist
 
Posts: 4801
Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:219   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:138
Wainwrights:160   Islands:58
Joined: Nov 15, 2010
Location: Fife

Re: Can I have a "P" please Bob - Scotland (2nd edition)

Postby rohan » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:02 pm

Sgurr wrote:Are these all hills on the watershed?


At the risk of repeating myself, I will say again, they are not all hills although there may be hills in the list. I haven't checked if there are any on the Watershed. I'm not sure if there exisits a definitive list. These are ones that I have found with the help of wiki, google and the book "Scottish Hill and Mountain Names". Each of my individual examples are different in all other respects from one another apart from one characterisitc. I am now away to see if I can see any on the Watershed or not...I may be some time.
User avatar
rohan
 
Posts: 1138
Joined: Mar 12, 2012

Re: Can I have a "P" please Bob - Scotland (2nd edition)

Postby rohan » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:07 pm

rohan wrote:
Sgurr wrote:Are these all hills on the watershed?


At the risk of repeating myself, I will say again, they are not all hills although there may be hills in the list. I haven't checked if there are any on the Watershed. I'm not sure if there exisits a definitive list. These are ones that I have found with the help of wiki, google and the book "Scottish Hill and Mountain Names". Each of my individual examples are different in all other respects from one another apart from one characterisitc. I am now away to see if I can see any on the Watershed or not...I may be some time.


I shouldn't have said "all other respects" but they would be described as different features in the landscape.
User avatar
rohan
 
Posts: 1138
Joined: Mar 12, 2012

Re: Can I have a "P" please Bob - Scotland (2nd edition)

Postby Sgurr » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:49 pm

OKay, another pot shot. Are they passes? Lairig Leacach, Carter Bar and something Hill>?
User avatar
Sgurr
Munro compleatist
 
Posts: 4801
Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:219   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:138
Wainwrights:160   Islands:58
Joined: Nov 15, 2010
Location: Fife

Re: Can I have a "P" please Bob - Scotland (2nd edition)

Postby Glengavel » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:53 pm

Names with a common root, L could be Loch Leven, I is Innerleithen and, er, I don't know after that!
User avatar
Glengavel
Walker
 
Posts: 450
Munros:22   Corbetts:5
Grahams:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:23   Islands:18
Joined: Aug 29, 2010
Location: Fifeshire

Re: Can I have a "P" please Bob - Scotland (2nd edition)

Postby rohan » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:15 pm

Sgurr wrote:OKay, another pot shot. Are they passes? Lairig Leacach, Carter Bar and something Hill>?


No, I liked your idea of different names for hills though. Cf. with my reply to Glengavel.

Glengavel wrote:Names with a common root, L could be Loch Leven, I is Innerleithen and, er, I don't know after that!


No but along the right sort of lines. Cf. with my reply to Sgurr.

Clearly my rambling, all over the place replies with heavy hints are not clear. I could add more to the list but that doesn't add anything to help you. In reply to Sgurr's earlier question, yes, I have found at least one clear one on the Watershed and a couple that maybe argued in discussion. That is only in the Borders, there may be more further north or not. Knowing that knowledge will not help you though.
User avatar
rohan
 
Posts: 1138
Joined: Mar 12, 2012

PreviousNext



Walkhighlands community forum is advert free


Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?



Return to Photo threads, comps and quizzes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests