walkhighlands

Check this board for announcements about new features and content on Walkhighlands

Links to Routes on ViewRanger app removed?

Links to Routes on ViewRanger app removed?

Postby DrDodgers » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:58 pm

Have the links to the routes in the ViewRanger app been removed? I can still find the routes when I search on the ViewRanger app itself but it was handy to be able to open directly from the WalkHighlands site.
DrDodgers

Munros:14   

Re: Links to Routes on ViewRanger app removed?

Postby KatTai » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:11 am

Viewranger has merged with Outdoor access and no longer supports paid-for route downloads which the ones on WH were. I'm not seeing any WH routes appearing on my VR just the free ones other people have created.
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:52   
Islands:32

Postby mje uk » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:42 pm

So, if ViewRanger no longer permits me to access the routes that I have previously purchased from WH, can anyone please suggest an alternative app than VR to use ? I have hitherto found VR far superior (i.e. reliable) to OS maps, and anyway I thought that there was a problem with trying to use WH routes in OSMaps because OSMaps would thereafter claim ownership of the said "private" route ?.
mje uk
Munro compleatist

Postby Paul Webster » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:10 pm

Viewranger should still allow you to use any WH routes you have purchased within Viewranger. It's just that nobody can purchase any more routes now - so if we kept the link, it would just be a broken link for everyone else.

You can still import our GPX files into Viewranger as well as OSMaps (or many other navigation apps) though.

OSMaps used require you to own copyright on all GPX files you used and grant them permission to use them as their own, as you describe. But this is no longer the case - I believe it reads the copyright tag in our routes and that excludes the route from being republishing as OS content.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby mje uk » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:37 pm

Thank you for that, Paul.
So if I move my Viewranger account to Outdooractive, as I am being pressured to do, then I will still be able to use my old WH GPX files in Outdooractive, plus any new gpx files from WH that I choose to download ?
Mike
mje uk
Munro compleatist

Postby Paul Webster » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:12 pm

Need to distinguish here between our GPX files, and the Premium WH routes you used to be able to buy in Viewranger. The latter included the full offline route description and photos etc.

GPX files., on the other hand, are the route line data with no description etc. We make these available for all our routes, for free for personal use, in any mapping app that supports them. I guess that Outdoor Active will let you use these the same as other mapping apps, though I've never used it so aren't the best person to comment!

The Premium WH routes you bought in Viewranger are within Viewranger and aren't available in any other app (or for anyone else to get, since Viewranger closed its store for these)
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby RGWR » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:57 am

I understand about the GPX files but is there a way of seeing route guidance on a mobile without having to go to the website? The Viewranger link was brill and it would be good to have a simple substitute.
RGWR
Ambler

Postby jayedubya73 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:18 pm

RGWR wrote:I understand about the GPX files but is there a way of seeing route guidance on a mobile without having to go to the website? The Viewranger link was brill and it would be good to have a simple substitute.

I haven't found an equivalent with Outdoor Active. I tend to open the WH description on the browser of my phone before I leave for the trip. The page is held in the cache, so I can read it anytime, even when the phone is out of signal. 100% not to be solely relied on, but I've never had a problem reading the route guidance.
jayedubya73
Hill Bagger

Munros:231   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:12+6
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walkhighlands announcements and feedback