walkhighlands

Check this board for announcements about new features and content on Walkhighlands

Spelling

Spelling

Postby overloaded » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:36 am

Hi Admin,
I know this is pedantic but I have been comparing the names of the Munros on this site to the Paul & Helen Webster book and I have found some discrepancies. Please can you advise which are the correct spellings as I am looking to climb for charity and want to post pics on public media at the summits holding a card with each name.
(This sites spelling is listed first).
1: Beinn Bhuidhe: Ben Bhuidhe
2: Mullach nan Dheiragain: Mullach na Dheiragain
3: Sgurr Mor (Beinn Alligin) Sgurr Mhor
4: Stob Daimh Stob Diamh
Apologies for the triviality.
Thanks and Regards
Rob :)
overloaded
Walker

Munros:46   
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   

Re: Spelling

Postby Paul Webster » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:12 am

Hi Rob, not trivial at all. We try to use latest OS spellings as the source for our spellings generally, so you could check there, though even then you'll get into problems (e.g. it's Sgurr Mhor on 1:25k OS maps and Sgurr Mor on 1:50k), most of your examples they have used both spellings in different scales.

I'm sure fluent Gaelic speakers can tell you many OS spellings are still incorrect, but then I guess placenames in all languages are very often corruptions of their base language and original meanings, through history. Sometimes local pronunciations are different from what a present-day Gaelic speaker would say.

An authoritative place to look is https://www.ainmean-aite.scot/

We are trying to keep up to date with maps (and also correct typos - Mullach na Dheiragain was spelt both ways in different parts of the site, which I've now fixed). Generally the website is going to be more up to date than the book, which only gets printed very couple of years. (The Munros book is out of stock everywhere as there was a covid outbreak at the printers that shut down work in the middle of the print run. It's printing elsewhere and should be back in time for Xmas orders).
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby overloaded » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:39 am

Many thanks Paul.
The copy was given to me a couple of years ago and I have found it extremely useful. Thank you both. Unless there is some major changes then I will stick with that. I have printed off the routes from this site to take with me on each walk.
I will use the website versions for the purpose I need. (I had enough problems with English before I started this project) lol
Thank you so much for setting up this site and the book, I know there are many more occasions I will be using it. I have noticed today that I can get walking buddies. I had been struggling to get anyone in this part of the country to commit so a great weight off my mind.
Regards
Rob
overloaded
Walker

Postby MaximusGreatest » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:32 am

This is interesting, it is the first time I encountered something like this.
MaximusGreatest

Postby overloaded » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:03 am

MaximusGreatest wrote:This is interesting, it is the first time I encountered something like this.

What is it you have found interesting Maximus?
overloaded
Walker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walkhighlands announcements and feedback