walkhighlands

Check this board for announcements about new features and content on Walkhighlands

Outdooractive/ Viewranger

Outdooractive/ Viewranger

Postby Sand01 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:42 pm

Ok - I know there has already been a lot of chat about this switch across. Today has been a wet day and I have been determined to get to grips with the new Outdooractive app. I loved being able to upload the WH routes to Viewranger and felt a lot safer when out walking on my own. (even with a map etc)
I have tried everything I can think of this afternoon, but can not work out how to download a GPX file from WH and upload it as a route on Outdooractive. I am using the apps on an Android phone. Is it possible?? If so, then any easy to understand step by step guidance please would be really appreciated?
If I can't do this then the app is going. If this is the case, then are WH' s recommending an alternative?
Thanks all
Sandra
Sand01
Mountaineer

Munros:36   Corbetts:10
Fionas:3   Donalds:4

Re: Outdooractive/ Viewranger

Postby KatTai » Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:53 pm

Outdooractive doesn't support the download with the route descriptions, you can download just the GPX file though. On the walks description page go to download GPX files, that brings you to the download page scroll down the the bottom and click on download it should automatically request if you want to open link if not you need to click on the download link. You can still use Viewranger which is what I'm doing at the moment just no fancy paid-for stuff with it now. Tried Outdooractive and didn't like it. There are a few threads where people have suggested alternatives in General Discussion :)
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:52   
Islands:32

Re: Outdooractive/ Viewranger

Postby jayedubya73 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:29 am

Sandra

2 ways of doing this on Android. Sadly its not as easy as the old link between viewranger and OA.

1. Use a browser on a laptop. Log into OA using same username/password as phone. Download the GPX file from Walkhighlands and then import using the 'Route Planner' menu. You will then see it under your routes. When you next open OA on your phone it will appear.
There is a download option here - so you can hold on the phone once you get out on your walk and there is no 4G.

https://www.outdooractive.com/en/

2. I use a tool on the phone called Solid Explorer. I download the GPX on the phone, and open the file using Solid. It can open the file straight into OutdoorActive. This is the easiest way.

Sadly neither is as easy as the old WH/ViewRanger link. Fingers crossed we will get that back in future.
jayedubya73
Hill Bagger

Munros:231   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:12+6
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walkhighlands announcements and feedback