walkhighlands

Check this board for announcements about new features and content on Walkhighlands

route planner GPX

route planner GPX

Postby DougB84 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:14 am

Hi, Anyone else lost the ability upload GPX files? Been away for a week and just got back and after opening up the GPS route planner the option to upload a GPX file has gone. Has this option been removed?
DougB84
Rambler

Munros:79   
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:59   

Re: route planner GPX

Postby helenw » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:40 am

Yes, this option (to upload routes to the GPS planner) is no longer available. You can still upload GPX files to trip reports.
helenw
Site Admin

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:19   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:93

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:59 am

Is there any chance this function could be restored? Please?... I used it quite often.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Postby DougB84 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:20 am

Is there any chance it could be brought back? I used it quite a lot! Your version is much better than the mapping software that came with my Garmin that's all...
DougB84
Rambler

Postby Paul Webster » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:43 am

Unfortunately it's very expensive to provide it - analysing a long track uses alot of system resources up which affects other people using Walkhighlands at the same time; we're intending to make both the forum/trip reports and the rest of the site work faster and more reliably for everyone.

For analysing large amounts of gpx data calculating ascents etc. (I presume this was why you used it?) I'd recommend using a desktop mapping program like Memory Map, Quo, Anquet or something similar.

You can still upload gpx tracks to illustrate walk reports, as before.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:34 pm

Not much of a problem, really - I'll survive without this function :wink: Used it mostly to view my pre-recorded GPS files and also to draw/save/change different ideas of routes. I understand why you had to cut it down.

I hope it will still be possible to open maps from existing reports in GPS planner (full-screen mode). I do that to print maps with routes drawn on them, if there is no WH route for a particular walk.
Cheers, BP
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Postby DougB84 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:48 pm

Ah right cool. Yeah I figured it would something like that but just wanted to check in case it was my computer having a drama. That's exactly it, it was a great feature for analysing routes and then working out alternatives by simply editing a point and then using the formula to give the distance and ascent changes.

No worries though, I'm sure we can all get by without it! Completely understand why it had to go if it was using up all the bandwidth!

Thanks for getting back to me,

Doug
DougB84
Rambler

Postby mrssanta » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:30 pm

I use the route planner to look at tracks of the routes I have just done (often on my local hills). and also to plan and modify routes when scheming for the next expedition. Can you recommend any software I can use to do this if I can no longer upload onto the GPS planner, preferably that doesn't cost the earth?
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Paul Webster » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:34 am

Just to be clear, you can still upload your tracks to trip reports to see them, and you can still use gps planner to plan routes. For reviewing your tracks in detail after a walk, I mentioned the three biggest software brands in my post above.

The mapping software I have and use myself is Mapyx Quo, which is fine if a little dated in design. As this does what I want, I haven't actually tried any of the others personally so couldn't recommend one against the others.
If you use Viewranger on your phone, you can also plan routes using their website on the same mapping you have bought, but for looking at large recorded track files I imagine having software on your computer is going to be the better option.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby billgobey » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:31 pm

I use another software which I pay an annual fee but walkhighlands is simpler quicker and much easier to edit so may suggest that an annual fee to resolve this matter
bill
billgobey
Mountaineer

Postby BlackPanther » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:07 pm

billgobey wrote:may suggest that an annual fee...

:eh:
If I may comment on this - I remember some time ago there was a debate on this subject and the vast majority of regularly posting users would prefer Walkhighlands to stay charge free, even at a cost of a few functions. I'm sorry, but introducing a fee to access this great site would only discourage people from using it - that's my private opinion. Walkhighlands is a fantastic free source of information about climbing/walking/exploring Scotland. Let's keep it this way.

I'd rather put up with one less gimmick in GPS planner :D :D

Regards
BP
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Postby Paul Webster » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:19 pm

Our thinking is in agreement with Black Panther.

There are plenty of sites and software that you can pay either a fee or subscription to do this sort of thing. That's great, but we have no intention of competing with them.

Walkhighlands' intention is to continue to be a free source of information about climbing/walking/exploring Scotland.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby Happy Tramp » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:10 pm

This was a first class facility and a real shame that it is no longer available.
Happy Tramp
Mountaineer

Postby kenlawson » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:11 pm

Like others I found this facility extremely useful and am sorry that it is gone. Perhaps I might respectfully suggest that the reference to it in the Help page is removed, so that people are not looking for something that is not there. Your site is a terrific resource, but the lost feature was considerably more than a 'gimmick'.

Ken
kenlawson

Postby tummelv » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:04 pm

A big shame to read that this feature was removed. Thought it was a problem with my computer that I couldn't upload my .gpx!

syd webster wrote:Very sad that the upload facility has gone....... You could try www-maptogps-com (edit to a url) which will "currently??" drop your route onto a detailed OS map

Regards

Syd

Many thanks for this.
tummelv
Mountain Walker

Munros:24   Corbetts:25
Fionas:19   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:77   

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walkhighlands announcements and feedback