walkhighlands

Check this board for announcements about new features and content on Walkhighlands

Walkhighlands routes and 'OS Maps' application

Walkhighlands routes and 'OS Maps' application

Postby Paul Webster » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:16 pm

We've had a couple of questions about using Walkhighlands' gpx files with the Ordnance Survey's 'OS Maps' application.

Unfortunately 'OS maps' makes - as the default (indeed as the only option for most users) - files uploaded by users publicly available for the Ordnance Survey to share to other users as part of 'OS Maps' - they effectively become part of the 'OS Maps' product. Even if you make them private, they become public whenever you close your OSMaps account or stop paying the subscription. This means that you can only legally upload GPX files you have created yourself (which is why they call them 'user generated routes'), files to which you own the copyright, or for which you have the permission from the copyright holder to grant redistribution rights to the Ordnance Survey.

Walkhighlands route descriptions and gpx files are available free for your own use. As with almost everything online, they cannot be re-published or re-sold. For these reasons it isn't possible to use Walkhighlands routes on 'OS Maps'.

Walkhighlands gpx routes remain compatible with all other mapping or GPS software that we are aware of (and that doesn't republish as default) such as Viewranger, Memory Map, Anquet, Route Buddy etc.

SEE UPDATE BELOW: Following policy changes by the Ordnance Survey you can now use Walkhighlands routes, set to private, in OS Maps
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Re: Walkhighlands routes and 'OS Maps' application

Postby SecretSquirrel » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:58 pm

Hi Paul,

I've been using OS Maps for the past year for loading routes and printing maps. I wish I had known their terms and conditions before now :o :o

We do not claim any ownership in your User Generated Routes / Content. However:

In the event that you mark your User Generated Routes / Content as private, you grant to us a royalty-free, non-exclusive licence to store, reproduce and display the User Generated Routes / Content to you on OS Maps or via our other Services for the duration of your Subscription. On the expiry or termination of your Subscription, you grant to us a royalty-free, non-exclusive licence to store, reproduce and display and distribute the User Generated Routes / Content to other OS Maps users (or users of our other Services) for their personal, non-commercial use; and

In the event that you choose not to mark your User Generated Route as private, you also grant us a royalty-free, non-exclusive licence to store, reproduce, display and distribute the User Generated Routes / Content to other OS Maps users (or users of our other Services) for their personal, non-commercial use as specified in these terms and conditions.

I don't remember seeing any options to mark my uploaded routes as private or otherwise. I had always assumed they were private to my account. Although its academic if they are claiming free use either way.

I have now deleted all content of 'My Routes'. Shame, it was a handy tool to use. No point in me renewing my OS subscription now :crazy:

Thanks for the notice and I hope I haven't inadvertently been giving away WH property :?
SecretSquirrel
Mountain Walker

Munros:124   Corbetts:26
Fionas:24   Donalds:76
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:1

Postby PaulD » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:58 pm

Absolutely appalling !, Have they not heard of copyright ?. What walks/routes i produce are mine and the choice to share should be mine not automatically taken from me. Just off to their website to check and if no option to make themm private they'll be deleted.
PaulD
Mountain Walker

Hewitts:54
Wainwrights:98   

Postby Paul Webster » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:32 am

A happy update to this.

Ordnance Survey have changed their OS Maps software and apps so our GPX files can now be used with them (if you are an OS subscriber). These routes should automatically be locked to private and will be deleted if you end your subscription.

So you can now use Walkhighlands routes with OS Maps.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walkhighlands announcements and feedback