walkhighlands

Check this board for announcements about new features and content on Walkhighlands

Munro Tops

Munro Tops

Postby amaciejk » Tue May 29, 2018 12:31 pm

Apologies if this has been asked before - but is there any chance of the Munro Tops being added as a Hill List on this site? It seems to be an obvious omission to me, given this is walkhighlands! Also there is a good chance of bagging a few Tops whilst walking the Munros, and you don't want the effort of starting from scratch and/or going over all your old walk reports to see which Tops you've already done.
amaciejk
Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:12
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:311
Wainwrights:214   Islands:20

Re: Munro Tops

Postby JoBaxter76 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:01 pm

I wondered this too. I'm new to hillwalking and have no idea if on my way to the top of a munro, I may also have chalked up some smaller hills on the way. Is there something on the site I'm missing?
JoBaxter76
Mountaineer

Munros:11   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:3   

Postby prog99 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:50 pm

The munro tops are hills the height of a munro but not considered the main summit. So I see you've been on Lochnagar, this has the main summit but also 4 subsidiary tops. Ben nevis has two tops, both called carn dearg. Your other two munros have no tops only a main summit.

Your unlikely to accidentally end up on a top instead of the summit but may well pass over one on the way to the main summit.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby GillSte » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:18 pm

Every list you could ever want is on hill-bagging.co.uk, including the Tops. But be careful, it's a bit addictive, you might end up bagging all the Marilyns too!
GillSte
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:39
Sub 2000:559   Hewitts:221
Wainwrights:107   Islands:69

Postby timstobart » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:05 pm

It's a shame they are not on here. I will always walk the tops as well as the 'peaks', but the omission on this site, does mean I have to research elsewhere, annoyingly. It does mean i keep an eye on other websites, so if something better does come along.......
timstobart
Munro compleatist

Munros:68   Corbetts:8
Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:26   Islands:34

Postby Paul Webster » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:12 pm

Thanks for raising - this has been discussed a few times before.

I'm afraid we're not planning to add the Munro tops. Only a small proportion of users are bagging Tops these days.
On Walkhighlands system a large part of the point of the hill lists is not just the tick list, but that there's a page for each hill and tagged walk reports then appear under that hill. It makes your walk reports into a lasting resource, rather than just a one-off share like a social media post.

Having separate pages for every Top doesn't seem to make that much sense. It would also mean that people would need to tag their reports with Munro Tops when they've climbed them, which is going to add alot of complication for most users when writing their reports - most won't bother to fill them in. It's tricky enough for many people to tag correctly at the moment, we don't want to put up barriers to filling reports. For hills like Lochnagar with lots of outlying tops, the round to climb them isn't going to appeal to most and so we wouldn't want to include them in our routes.

It's different for the other lesser hill lists like Grahams, as there aren't lots of Grahams people regularly climb by-the-by when doing Munros, for instance, so Grahams can just be ignored if you aren't into them.

If you are just looking for a tick-list, then yes you can mark 'Tops' on other sites.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Marty_JG » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:29 pm

Paul Webster wrote:Having separate pages for every Top doesn't seem to make that much sense. It would also mean that people would need to tag their reports with Munro Tops when they've climbed them, which is going to add alot of complication for most users when writing their reports - most won't bother.

Agreed, I think it would be a design nightmare to have separate pages, lists, etc., for tops but how about each mountain page at least list the tops for that hill to give some insight for those few who might care? The top name could be a URL to nothing more than the GPS link to your OS map and put a checkbox next to it, but NOT put this as part of the Walk Report?

That way people could keep track personally without it affecting the rest of the site.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walkhighlands announcements and feedback