walkhighlands

Check this board for announcements about new features and content on Walkhighlands

Using trains or buses to access walks

Using trains or buses to access walks

Postby Gregnut » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:48 am

Walk Highlands is a very useful resource for people like ourselves visiting Scotland, at least partly to walk. We came by train, attempting to be green, and wanted to use the trains or buses to access walks. But your site iincludes virtually no routes that ca be accessed by public transport. Surely it cannot be difficult to create circular or linear walks easily accessible by train or bus?
Gregnut
Bird-watcher

Re: Using trains or buses to access walks

Postby helenw » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:30 am

It's true that there is little public transport in some parts of the Highlands, but Walkhighlands features over a thousand walks reachable by some form of public transport. All walks have a public transport section which should also help planning. You can also use the Find a Walk search facility to look for walks with public transport - hope that helps.
helenw
Site Admin

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:19   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:93

Postby nigheandonn » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:15 am

If you're trying to get to somewhere in particular, or looking for advice on good walks in a particular area, come over to the General Discussion forum and ask - someone will try to help you out.

I do a lot of walking by public transport, and some places are a real challenge (although I like a challenge...), but as Helen says, there are hundreds if not thousands of walks that you can reach quite easily :)
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby MCorentin » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:06 am

I did all my walks using public transport, I usually check the walks which are around the train stations.

You can click on the "View on a map" button below the list of walks in a certain region to see which one are close to the station (it has been really helpful).

I agree with the posts above that a lot of walks are accessible and very feasible in a day, and if you miss a train you can wait for the next one at the pub ! :D
MCorentin
Munro compleatist

Munros:2   Corbetts:5
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:7

Postby Marty_JG » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:07 am

helenw wrote:You can also use the Find a Walk search facility to look for walks with public transport - hope that helps.

I've been here a couple of years now and had no idea the FIND A WALK was so comprehensive in feature selection!

I mean, I use the natter and banter in the forums for my guides thus far and they've not seen me wrong yet, but as a programmer I have to say it's a really impressive amount of consideration you've put into the search engine.

Have a thumb's-up, a round-of-applause, and a tip-of-hat. :thumbup: :clap: [no fedora-tipping smiley is available]
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walkhighlands announcements and feedback