walkhighlands

Check this board for announcements about new features and content on Walkhighlands

England & Wales 3,000 Footers

England & Wales 3,000 Footers

Postby Derek T » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:22 pm

Hi Paul,

I just posted this discussion thread asking for help identifying a definitive list of 3,000ft summits in England & Wales.

That made me think that there is no where I have yet found on the internet that lets walkers check off these great peaks as they do them unless they are grouped together with all the smaller peaks.

Would it be possible for Walk Highlands to have a separate category in the Walks Diary feature that only includes 3,000ft+ hills south of the border? It could be another first for WH !! 8)

Derek
Derek T
Munro compleatist

Munros:22   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:55
Wainwrights:100   

Re: England & Wales 3,000 Footers

Postby Paul Webster » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:57 am

Hi Derek

Thanks for the suggestion. However, we already have the Hewitts list of summits over 2000ft in England and Wales, which obviously includes the above, and putting in a second list with just a subset of this would make the site harder to use and navigate (where would we stop - would we also have over 2500? just in England or Wales? etc. etc.)

To help explain, including emails, the following have been requested at least once in the last year; Donalds (this is planned), Birketts, Munro Tops, Corbett and Graham Tops, Sub 2000 Marilyns in England and Wales, Welsh 3000ers, Nuttalls of England and Wales, Murdos, and the new Donalds. More lists are invented all the time! The main benefit of adding a hill category on Walkhighlands is so that users can tag reports with that hill so other people planning to climb that hill can find the reports, which doesn't really hold when we add more lists of the same hills. We had to make a judgment of the most important list for a given set of hills and for 2000ers in England and Wales we selected the Hewitts.

Sorry if disappointing!
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Derek T » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:07 am

No worries, Paul. Thanks for your reply.

I got some really helpful, and some scary, info out of the discussion thread last night so at least I now know which hills I need to climb to bag the lot 8)
Derek T
Munro compleatist

Munros:22   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:55
Wainwrights:100   

Postby magicdin » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:17 pm

The SMC list the "Furth of Scotland" here - 3000 feet hills of England ,Wales and Ireland
http://www.smc.org.uk/Hillwalking/HillKeyFacts.php
magicdin
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Postby fedupofuserids » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:41 am

Just out of interest (not suggesting any extra features on your site!) what list do you go by ?

ie. The Wainwrights are a list of 214 hills in the lake district, the majority are worth climbing some aren't but the list is regardless of height just the authors opinion - it has never changed.

With the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams they are dependant on height. The Donalds have 2 lists the first (original) worked by a formula the second a simplified critriea. But as any list by height they change as the land is remapped.

If you climbed the original Munro list,now does this count or do you have to climb the the current SMC list ?
fedupofuserids

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walkhighlands announcements and feedback