walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Birthday Pinn

The Birthday Pinn

by Jaxter » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:51 pm

Route description: Sgùrr Dearg and the In Pinn

Munros included on this walk: Inaccessible Pinnacle, Sgùrr Mhic Chòinnich

Date walked: 09/07/2017

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Distance: 12.66 km

Ascent: 1267m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: The Birthday Pinn

Postby malky_c » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:28 pm

Nice one - find it hard to believe you were maintaining 18 points of contact just minutes before doing your standard pose :wink: . I was glad we managed to get up in one long pitch as halfway up on a tiny ledge is the last place I'd want to be sitting about thinking about the big space beneath me :)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby mamoset » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:56 pm

And i thought a lady never divulged her age!! :shock: :lol: What a grand day to spend your birthday :clap:
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Postby rockhopper » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:39 am

An enjoyable read as ever - nice see Mr McGuire in good form too. :thumbup:
Happy belated birthday wishes as well (you're making me feel ancient !) - cheers :)
rockhopper

Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Jaxter » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:11 pm

malky_c wrote:Nice one - find it hard to believe you were maintaining 18 points of contact just minutes before doing your standard pose :wink: . I was glad we managed to get up in one long pitch as halfway up on a tiny ledge is the last place I'd want to be sitting about thinking about the big space beneath me :)

:lol: :lol: I'm only going on what Darren said :lol: Didn't seem so stupid until they all started laughing :wink: :roll: One pitch must have been one hell of a long rope :shock:

mamoset wrote:And i thought a lady never divulged her age!! :shock: :lol: What a grand day to spend your birthday :clap:

Ah but I'm no lady :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks - it was definitely the best so far :D

rockhopper wrote:An enjoyable read as ever - nice see Mr McGuire in good form too. :thumbup:
Happy belated birthday wishes as well (you're making me feel ancient !) - cheers :)

Thanks dude - it was excellent fun 8) Paddy was fantastic, great fun and made us feel totally safe even when perched on a tiny ledge above a huge drop :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby litljortindan » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:56 pm

What a birthday!. Love the "artist's impression".
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby bigkeith » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:39 am

:clap: congrats. Good read and very useful report - I'm hoping to get up the In Pin this year. Looks scarier than I thought 😯. I bumped into Harry a couple of days ago at Glen Shiel campsite, him and his mate, Callum, were super friendly. Nice guys. Harry loved his day on the In Pin! 😀
bigkeith
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:17

Postby zatapathique » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:21 pm

Fantastic report and awesome photos - and happy belated birthday! :)

I love your artist's impressions and how you did the Jaxter pose even up there - I guess the word "vertigo" is not at all in your dictionary. :thumbup: 8)

I was thinking of choosing Skye for my 2020 Munro trip to Scotland, and climb the Inn Pinn before my bones are too old. After reading your report and seeing the photos, I wish I had gone there 10 years ago already... :lol:

A guide is a must for the Inn Pinn for me, I've gone climbing only twice in my life - indoors...

Sgurr a' Ghreadhaidh and Sgurr a' Mhadaidh also sound as if a guide would be a very good idea, as well as for Bruach na Frithe, Am Basteir and Sgurr nan Gillean. How about the rest of the main Cuilin ridge?
zatapathique
Mountain Walker

Munros:96   Corbetts:4
Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:26   

Postby past my sell by date » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:44 pm

zatapathique wrote:
Sgurr a' Ghreadhaidh and Sgurr a' Mhadaidh also sound as if a guide would be a very good idea, as well as for Bruach na Frithe, Am Basteir and Sgurr nan Gillean. How about the rest of the main Cuilin ridge?

Greadhaidh and Mhadaidh maybe - tthe ridge is very narrow and exposed there - the rest are quite straightforward
On the Inn Pinn, it's all about exposure. I suspect that if you could put a corrugated Iron fence each side of the (easy)route, people would walk up without a thought. You walk up much steeper things on other Munros
It's a bit like walking on garden walls as a schoolkid. 2 ft up run along, 4 ft a bit slower, 6 ft ooooer! 8ft no way :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I soloed it in a hailstorm on an unsuccessful attempt on the ridge - but I was young and foolish then - rather than old and foolish now :lol:
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby Sgurr » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:03 pm

zatapathique wrote:I was thinking of choosing Skye for my 2020 Munro trip to Scotland, and climb the Inn Pinn before my bones are too old.

A guide is a must for the Inn Pinn for me, I've gone climbing only twice in my life - indoors...

Did them aged 63 and 64. Took an abseiling course before we went. Husband had done all but Inn Pinn as a young man, but was worried about taking me. Mc Coinich and Alasdair were tagged onto our Inn Pinn day, and although I could have managed Alasdair, could not have managed McCoinich without a guide. Similarly, I wanted a guide for S Nan G and Am Basteir, and Bruach na Frithe came in the package. Did G and M with a long legged friend, who also came for Dubh Mor and nan Eag...it depends on how you feel. Why not sign up for a weekly package?
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby past my sell by date » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:26 am

Surely unless you do the Pinnacle ridge - which is much the nicest, Gilliean is a straightforward walk. Even the Abominable Wainwight managed it and he could scarcely climb a ladder :lol:
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Postby prog99 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:14 pm

zatapathique wrote:20 Munro trip to Scotland, and climb the Inn Pinn before my bones are too old. After reading your report and seeing the photos, I wish I had gone there 10 years ago already... :lol:

If your based in France then are the alps easy to get to from where you are? Good training for Skye on the numerous ridges.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby zatapathique » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:18 pm

Thanks Sgurr and Past my sell by date (or do I need to adjust the pronoun to "your" when addressing you? :wink: ) for the insight. I'll give the weekly package a thought.

prog99 wrote:If your based in France then are the alps easy to get to from where you are? Good training for Skye on the numerous ridges.

Not anymore I'm afraid. Used to live right at the doorstep of the French Alps (at the foot of Mont Salève) and went hiking in the Alps every possible weekend, starting at altitudes higher than The Ben, wallking up to 3257 m (that was the highest one I did, Haute Cime des Dents du Midi): http://www.ipernity.com/doc/henryvolt/7174128 (this is not a walking website, just a photo website like Flickr)
(I used to have a lot more photos on this website, fled there from Flickr, but recently they limited the free accounts' number of photos to 200, so I deleted all but the most popular ones)

Now I live in Northern Alsace, no mountains here, just wooded hills.
zatapathique
Mountain Walker

Munros:96   Corbetts:4
Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:26   

Postby past my sell by date » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:16 pm

Sorry I guess I should have been "past ones sell by date" - that would be more universal - but I can't change it now :lol: :lol: :lol:
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:21 pm

past my sell by date wrote:Sorry I guess I should have been "past ones sell by date" - that would be more universal - but I can't change it now :lol: :lol: :lol:

Even worse if one has misspelled one's handle, like at least one idiot :oops:
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

24 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland