walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben A'an an' a banana

Ben A'an an' a banana

Postby denfinella » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:42 pm

Route description: Ben A'an

Date walked: 11/12/2017

Time taken: 2.5 hours

Distance: 4 km

Ascent: 340m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

0.jpg

Popular Ben A'an's only an hour's drive from our house but somehow we'd never climbed it. A freezing, sunny Monday seemed like the perfect day to do it, though we were hoping the paths wouldn't be too icy. Before getting there though, we had to drive over the Duke's Pass - we were slightly nervous about this given the -6C temperatures on the drive north from Glasgow. The steep ascent from Aberfoyle had been freshly gritted and was no trouble, but the gritter had turned around at a layby just beyond the summit of the pass, leaving the remainder with a heavy frost, perhaps a dusting of snow, and some large areas of water ice where streams had run across the road (check out the layby to the right on the photo above :shock: ). The views were undeniably stunning though in the morning sunshine:

1.jpg

2.jpg

Fortunately we made it to the parking area for Ben A'an without incident, where I wolfed down a banana so I wouldn't be walking on an empty stomach (see, there's an excuse for the report title!). There was one car already in the car park. The temperature had shot up to a balmy -2C here. Two welcome surprises: a very tame robin looking for food which actually hopped inside our car boot as we were putting on our walking boots, and the following:

3.jpg

What a shame! Not... anyway, onto the walk:

ben-aan.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We were carrying some cheap, novelty shoe grips in our rucksacks (given to us as a present last winter, but we'd never used them), but there was no snow down here, and the paths were mostly ice-free at first. There are basically three stages to the walk: a steep initial ascent, then a flatter stretch, followed by a steep final climb. The path all the way to the top is excellent:

4.jpg

Some beautiful ice sculptures in the adjacent burn:

5.jpg

First proper view of Ben A'an's rocky profile:

6.jpg

Ben Venue:

7.jpg

And from further up:

8.jpg

Approaching the final climb:

9.jpg

Back to Loch Achray:

10.jpg

Approaching the summit:

11.jpg

Near the top, the path headed across a more shady aspect, with a little snow and lots of ice - care needed.

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

I'd seen plenty of photos of the summit view, and it more than lived up to the hype: amazing.

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

We stuck around for around 20 minutes or so, before the wind got up. Given it was probably well below freezing, that was our cue to head down. Time to try out those shoe grips... except we should have actually checked they fitted in advance. One pair were fine, but mine were too small, so I had to be extra careful on the descent. Whoops...

20.jpg

A fantastic and very short walk at barely more than an hour to the top - I can't think of many hills which give such a reward after such a short ascent :D
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Re: Ben A'an an' a banana

Postby Mal Grey » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:57 pm

Lovely, thanks for sharing.

This is a glaring omission on my list, I really ought to get there. Now I want to do it in winter.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby johnscot55 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:46 am

I did Ben A'nn twice in late summer this year. First time on my own, I was at the back of my car and I swiped a crisp flake that had fallen out my rucksack in the boot, on to the ground. Barely had it touched the ground (I mean less than a second) when a robin swooped in out of nowhere and grabbed it from right beside my foot. I returned a couple of weeks later, this time with my grandson, and told him the story on the way. Guess what? As we were changing footwear at the rear of the car we found ourselves being eyed by a bold robin just a couple of feet away. I guess we met the same little guy (or gal).
johnscot55
Mountain Walker

Munros:67   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:8   

Postby denfinella » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:14 pm

Mal Grey wrote:Lovely, thanks for sharing.

This is a glaring omission on my list, I really ought to get there. Now I want to do it in winter.

Thanks! It was a glaring omission from our list too, but never really thought to climb it in winter until the opportunity presented itself. Turned out to be a good choice!

johnscot55 wrote:I did Ben A'nn twice in late summer this year. First time on my own, I was at the back of my car and I swiped a crisp flake that had fallen out my rucksack in the boot, on to the ground. Barely had it touched the ground (I mean less than a second) when a robin swooped in out of nowhere and grabbed it from right beside my foot. I returned a couple of weeks later, this time with my grandson, and told him the story on the way. Guess what? As we were changing footwear at the rear of the car we found ourselves being eyed by a bold robin just a couple of feet away. I guess we met the same little guy (or gal).

Aww sweet!
denfinella
Wanderer

Postby Frankyjoans » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:39 am

I'm going to be in Scotland for a week and am looking to do this hike. Will it be doable in early January? Do I need any gear? It looks amazing. Also, are there places to stay nearby? Honestly I'd take any suggestions to get outside while I'm in Scotland! I'm from Seattle and very familiar with strenuous hikes I just don't want to get stuck in a bad way.. do you recommend the trip from Edinburgh to make this hike? Thanks!

denfinella wrote:
0.jpg

Popular Ben A'an's only an hour's drive from our house but somehow we'd never climbed it. A freezing, sunny Monday seemed like the perfect day to do it, though we were hoping the paths wouldn't be too icy. Before getting there though, we had to drive over the Duke's Pass - we were slightly nervous about this given the -6C temperatures on the drive north from Glasgow. The steep ascent from Aberfoyle had been freshly gritted and was no trouble, but the gritter had turned around at a layby just beyond the summit of the pass, leaving the remainder with a heavy frost, perhaps a dusting of snow, and some large areas of water ice where streams had run across the road (check out the layby to the right on the photo above :shock: ). The views were undeniably stunning though in the morning sunshine:

1.jpg

2.jpg

Fortunately we made it to the parking area for Ben A'an without incident, where I wolfed down a banana so I wouldn't be walking on an empty stomach (see, there's an excuse for the report title!). There was one car already in the car park. The temperature had shot up to a balmy -2C here. Two welcome surprises: a very tame robin looking for food which actually hopped inside our car boot as we were putting on our walking boots, and the following:

3.jpg

What a shame! Not... anyway, onto the walk:

ben-aan.gpx

We were carrying some cheap, novelty shoe grips in our rucksacks (given to us as a present last winter, but we'd never used them), but there was no snow down here, and the paths were mostly ice-free at first. There are basically three stages to the walk: a steep initial ascent, then a flatter stretch, followed by a steep final climb. The path all the way to the top is excellent:

4.jpg

Some beautiful ice sculptures in the adjacent burn:

5.jpg

First proper view of Ben A'an's rocky profile:

6.jpg

Ben Venue:

7.jpg

And from further up:

8.jpg

Approaching the final climb:

9.jpg

Back to Loch Achray:

10.jpg

Approaching the summit:

11.jpg

Near the top, the path headed across a more shady aspect, with a little snow and lots of ice - care needed.

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

I'd seen plenty of photos of the summit view, and it more than lived up to the hype: amazing.

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

We stuck around for around 20 minutes or so, before the wind got up. Given it was probably well below freezing, that was our cue to head down. Time to try out those shoe grips... except we should have actually checked they fitted in advance. One pair were fine, but mine were too small, so I had to be extra careful on the descent. Whoops...

20.jpg

A fantastic and very short walk at barely more than an hour to the top - I can't think of many hills which give such a reward after such a short ascent :D
Frankyjoans
Scrambler

Postby denfinella » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:09 am

Frankyjoans wrote:I'm going to be in Scotland for a week and am looking to do this hike. Will it be doable in early January?

Hi Frankyjoans. Great choice of walk. If you are used to "strenuous" hikes then you shouldn't have any problems with this walk, provided there's not much snow. Most of last week's snow has melted, but it's too early to say what it will be like in early January. Probably being obvious here, but you'll need waterproofs and warm clothing, and a map / compass probably advisable (though the path is obvious).

If it's really icy, it might be worth either taking crampons or choosing a flatter walk instead.

If you're hiring a car, you could easily drive from Edinburgh for a day trip. There's no public transport nearby. There are a few accommodation options nearby if you want to stay overnight.
denfinella
Wanderer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland