walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

No thunderstorms on Garbh Bheinn

No thunderstorms on Garbh Bheinn

Postby malky_c » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:55 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Garbh Bheinn (Ardgour)

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn Bheag (Ardgour), Sgòrr Mhic Eacharna

Date walked: 10/06/2018

Time taken: 6.75 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 1340m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Corbetts: Garbh Bheinn.
Grahams: Sgorr Mhic Earcharna, Beinn Bheag.
Date: 10/06/2018.
Distance: 12 km.
Ascent: 1340 m.
Time: 6 hours, 40 minutes.
Weather: Overcast, warm, still.

Link to previous day

We woke in Essan to another calm but overcast morning, with a typical infestation of midges outside to greet us. Last night we had discussed routes for Sunday and decided that Garbh Bheinn would be a good bet if the weather was looking half-decent.

Essan

Loch Eilt from above Essan

The boats were where we'd left them - no flooding overnight! It didn't look that likely that the flood waters would ever reach the level of our boats but that was exactly what had happened to a family last October.

Fortunately no flash floods last night

Leaving Essan

A brief respite from the midges as we paddled back over was followed by a scrabble to get the boats folded away and into the cars. Then down the road to the loop of old road at the mouth of Coire an Iubhair.

Back to the car

Hugh on Loch Eilt

Again I felt lazy, and would've settled for a quick up and down of Garbh Bheinn despite knowing full well that it wouldn't do the mountain justice. I kept quiet about that as I knew things would be fine once I was on the hill. This was another circuit I had done with my dad in the distant past - 1995 I think. I remember bits and pieces from that day; it was hot and sunny, there were big drops between the summits, a bit of a scramble up the back of Garbh Bheinn, and we cycled back to Ballachulish afterwards. That third bit of knowledge was useful, as it reminded me that an anti-clockwise circuit would be easier for route finding.

Garbhbheinn map.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Sron a’ Ghairbh Choire Bhig

It's a pathless beginning up Druim an Iubhair, but with the ground being particularly dry just now, it was fairly easy going.The broad ridge goes on a bit, but eventually we were on the final ascent to Sgorr Mhic Earcharna, where you really do get a grandstand view of Garbh Bheinn. I've seen it enough times before, but still....so much rock! The weather over Glencoe and Glen Nevis didn't look especially bad, but we seemed to have better here.

Firth of Lorn and Lismore

On the way up Druim an Iubhair

NE face of Garbh Bheinn

Hugh on Sgorr Mhic Earcharna

Summit of Sgorr Mhic Earcharna

This next bit did stick in my mind. Beinn Bheag looks like an easy wander from here, but the closer you get to it, the bigger the drop between the two hills appears, until you are back down below 500m again. The north ridge and east face of Beinn Bheag is an impressive sweep of slabs right to the floor of Glen Gour, although you don't see too much of that on the ascent. Probably one worth exploring from that direction sometime :) .

Beinn Bheag from Sgorr Mhic Earcharna

Garbh Bheinn

It was most definitely liunchtme on the summit of Beinn Bheag - even the lack of sunshine couldn't ruin this day out 8) . Rum and Eigg emerged to the west looking much clearer than yesterday. Despite taking far too many photos, I don't seem to have picked them up at all.

A glimpse of Loch Sunart

Hugh on Beinn Bheag

Back down Coire an Iubhair to Loch Linnhe

The ridge west made for very pleasant walking, narrowish in places (although not very arête-like), then the steep descent to Lochan Coire an Iubhair. This was possible to do mostly on steep grass, avoiding the extensive loose rock and scree on the face.

Along the summit ridge of Beinn Bheag

Bealach Feith n’ Amean

Garbh Bheinn

Sgurr nan Cnamh and Ben Resipol

Now for the fun bit, which we had been looking at on our descent. We opted for a steep watercourse which turns into a gully higher up, at which point we moved out onto easy rocks to the left. This took us fairly sharply into the little corrie high up on the back of the hill, where we had a quick breather. Following a bouldery run to our left, we popped out on the north ridge of Garbh Bheinn, from where a few easy scrambly moves took us to the summit. The rock was bone dry and really grippy, and I suspect some decent scrambling could be had lower down on the ridge. While we probably could have found our way down this side of the hill, it was much easier to have come up it.

Our route up Garbh Bheinn

The back of Garbh Bheinn

NE Buttress of Garbh Bheinn

Lochan Coire an Iubhair

Beinn Bheag and Sgorr Mhic Earcharna

Sgurr nan Cnamh

Looking back to Beinn Bheag

Although still a bit grey on top, you can't argue with views like this! A couple of lurking midges put paid to us stopping too long though.

Summit of Garbh Bheinn

In the back corrie of Garbh Bheinn

Back down the corrie to Sgurr nan Cnamh

Fiaclan Garbh-bheinn

Down Coire an Iubhair with Loch Leven in the background

Fiaclan Garbh-bheinn

Appin and Loch Linnhe

On the way down, we passed a couple of climbers high on the South Wall of Garbh Bheinn. As their rucksacks were nearby, they appeared to have walked all the way up here to do some shortish routes high on the mountain. Probably a sensible move given the midges!

Climbers

Climbers on Meghini on the South Wall of Garbh Bheinn

Crossing over Sron a' Gharbh Choire Bhig, you get a great look at the main crags on the hill, but lower down, there is less to see. That certainly made the case for the full circuit :D . We kept losing and re-finding the path on the way down, until eventually we were on the final descent where it became a bit of a trench.

Garbh Bheinn NE face

Crags of Garbh Bheinn

Garbh Bheinn from Sron a’ Ghairbh Choire Bhig

Glencoe peaks from the final descent

Inversanda and Loch Linnhe

Another fantastic day in one of my favourite parts of the country 8) . Cheers to Hugh for suggesting the weekend in the first place, and picking some great hills. As a bonus, when flicking through facebook and some walk reports later, it appeared that just about everywhere else in the Highlands (including Glencoe, which hadn't looked too bad) had experienced extremely heavy rainfall and thunderstorms. We didn't see a single drop of rain in the entire time we spent west of the Great Glen :D .
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: No thunderstorms on Garbh Bheinn

Postby rockhopper » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:31 pm

Have just read your "Rois-bheinn and co" report - great day for it and good to see you're fully clothed again with a rather efficient way to get across to the bothy. Then on to this one - looks like you picked the right area given some of the other reports of the weather conditions. :thumbup:
Having just done the straight up/down route recently, I can see how the full circuit would be more interesting - must bear it in mind if get back again - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby gaffr » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:22 am

Thunderstorms.....reminded me of a very quick retreat made from the summit of Garbh Bheinn, after topping out on one of the very fine classic routes on the hill, to get away from the scary flashes. Beautiful rough rock. Several climbs to be found on the crags. The one shown in the image looks harder than the ones that we did.
Didn't know of the two Grahams in the area. Obviously makes a grand circuit. :)
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby PeteR » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:33 am

I might have this as one of my top 10 favourite circuits. Anti-clockwise is definitely best, as it gives you that changing view of the main event all the way round :D And the climb/scramble up the back is a little belter too.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Alteknacker » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:32 pm

What a phenomenal hill - rock, rock, rock! GB looks like it has it all, irrespective of viewing angle.

Another to add to my ever-growing to-do list....
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby yokehead » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:17 am

Ah, memories! A while back I stayed in Onich for a couple of weeks in Feb in mostly good weather and looked over Loch Linnhe to the superb sight of a snow-capped Garbh Bheinn. I had planned on doing your route but chose the wrong day to go, although fine when crossing on the ferry by the time I started from the car the cloud was down. So I walked up the corrie to the lochan intending to just climb BG but it snowed steadily all day and was near-whiteout at the lochan. I couldn't see the route of ascent to my satisfaction so headed back - a tough day with no summit!

So it was good to see your report, in particular the possible ways up from the lochan. Nicely done, and I must go back!
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland