walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cuillins:airy scrambling with my son,no rope.Great Skye view

Cuillins:airy scrambling with my son,no rope.Great Skye view

Postby Petr Dakota » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:45 pm

Route description: Am Basteir

Munros included on this walk: Am Basteir, Bruach na Frìthe

Date walked: 11/08/2018

Time taken: 8.1 hours

Distance: 14.3 km

Ascent: 1016m

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The Route:

RK_gpx _2018-08-11_0845.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

My 20 years old son came to visit us from the Czech Republic. He is climbing Ben Nevis always with me - every time he is here ( did also via CMD arete ), but this year he wanted try something else, something more adventurous and more difficult...with more adrenaline . Unfortunately he came after the dry weeks / months and found Scotland in the "normal" weather...rainy days just came in the same time like him. We spent first couple of days in Lake District, enjoying camping and the mountains area also with my 6 years old daughter Cheyenne, planned some mountains in Scotland after the trip. Checking the forecast it was very nice to see that Isle of Skye offered clear views with no rain on saturday. Decision made for The Cuillin Munros ! :D 8) :D He was excited to try the rocky mountains and looking forward to see the beauty of Isle of Skye from the top. After busy friday, we got to bed at 23:30, alarm set for 01:30 am...very short sleep, but determined.
We left home at 03:00 am ready for 5 hours of driving to Sligachan.
The parking layby was empty in the morning, another car just parked in the same time...
We followed the route to Bruach na Frithe, there on the summit we met another person - Neil from Paisley. We took photos each other and chatted shortly. We both would like to add also the near Munro Am Basteir, but from this side it looked impossible. Neil gone shortly before us as we were still busy making videos and photos from the summit and we also met a french couple there later. We decided to try descend on the other side and see how is the possibility for Am Baster. We met Neil there again as he wanted to try the 2nd Munro as well. Climbing around the rock we met another climbers there, but we also saw that who did Am Basteir they had ropes and helmets...we decided to try and started the climb - real exposed scramble towards the top of Am Basteir...My son Patrik, Neil and myself.
It was great feelings there later when we reached the summit, enjoyed every minute there, the great views over Cuillins...but we all knew that not easy descending is still ahead and mountain is done when you are safely back in the car park. We got safely back, talked with Neil all the time while descending before we split for our ways home. Short stop for a coffee in Sligachan Hotel, then driving 5 hours back home.
We were lucky and really happy with the weather conditions, especially the visibility...always good to use it when the West and beautiful place like Isle of Skye looks like that. 8) :D 8)
It was great to meet you Neil, hope you got safely home and maybe to see you again in the mountains some day. All the Best !

The Movie from Cuillins
Last edited by Petr Dakota on Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Re: Great Cuillin duo, airy scrambling , perfect Skye views

Postby Petr Dakota » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:12 pm

Photo story:

Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Re: Cuillins:airy scrambling with my son,no rope.Great Skye

Postby spiderwebb » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:02 pm

Great photos and video Petr, always great to get a clear day on Skye as it makes the route finding so much easier, and it is route finding rather than navigating, the intricacies of the ridge not being the place to be trying map and compass work :lol: :lol:
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby Petr Dakota » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:19 am

spiderwebb wrote:Great photos and video Petr, always great to get a clear day on Skye as it makes the route finding so much easier, and it is route finding rather than navigating, the intricacies of the ridge not being the place to be trying map and compass work :lol: :lol:

Thank you Dave :D Really great, but rare to find conditions like this on Skye as there is mostly wet, misty or windy on The West, so despite all the distance and short free time is always worthy to go for it and enjoy the beautiful views when the forecast shows excellent or very good visibility and then when the forecvast is even right ! :D :lol: :D
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby Petr Dakota » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:58 pm

20150918_083439.jpg
Looking towards the Cuillins from Blaven - September 2015
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby Alteknacker » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:11 pm

Some cracking pictures of this wonderful place, Petr :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

You're fortunate to have had such good weather!
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Petr Dakota » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:28 pm

Alteknacker wrote:Some cracking pictures of this wonderful place, Petr :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

You're fortunate to have had such good weather!

Thank you :) Really great place 8)
Planning trips long time in advance then it's 50:50 or in case of the West 80:20 for mist & wet :lol: and may be fortunate if the 20 for dry conditions and clear views :roll:
But we decided for the Cuillins one night before just because of the very promising forecast, then sacrificing of sleep, distance and the time is always worthy in case of the great place like Skye is. :D
Maybe crazy for one day trip with 5 hours of driving one way, 10 hours in the car in total, sleeping under 2 hours before, start in the night to be back the same day, but always worthy trips like this ! :D :crazy: :D 8) :D :wink:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland