walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

hunners and hunners

hunners and hunners

Postby ancancha » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:03 pm

Route description: Beinn Dearg from near Blair Atholl

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Dearg (Blair Atholl)

Date walked: 05/06/2015

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 31.8 km

Ascent: 837m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Beinn Dearg.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The new mountain bike with the super dupper suspension is now set up for me; oh and including the angle of dangle of the saddle :!:
Still unfit and overweight, but it is now a pleasure to cycle on these estate mountain tracks.
I'm stilling pushing it up the steepest gradients, but expect most people are.

Anyway on with the story.

Great free parking at bridge of tilt and a tarmac road leading onto a very good 4x4 track out to the bothy. The short stretch through the woods only lasts just over a kilometer

beinn dearg start woods.jpg

and then opens out to moorland. Pass through a deer gate and there is an interesting old bridge right at the boundary of the forrest and moorland

beinn dearg start open.jpg

The track rises steadily until you get to the built cairn, with an interesting small bridge on the way, suspect the road it used to be connected too washed away a while ago; sorry about the quality of the photos, taken on the phone which was in the waterproof bag, there were a few showers and it had been raining quite heavily earlier.

beinn dearg tiny bridge.jpg

and the built cairn

beinn dearg built cairn.jpg

Have to say my opinion of cycling differs from Howzat. I would find the walk out to this munro a slog, on a bike it is a lot of fun, especially on the way back :lol:

Once past the cairn the still very good track undulates slightly as it dips into a few stream gulleys, a substantial lump of concrete bridges this one

beinn dearg concrete.jpg

The track turns slightly to the left and the going is pretty easy. At the turn the view opens out and at first I thought I was looking at the objective, but it's probably Beinn Mheadhonach.

beinn dearg Beinn Mheadhonach.jpg

Another kilometer and around a bend and the Beinn Dearg comes into sight. It's not exactly dramatic, but I'm really enjoying the cycle out to it.

beinn dearg first sight.jpg

The track descends steeply to the bothy, which although in the middle of back country is well kitted out with a picnic table and chairs outside, a fireplace, sleeping platforms and pots and pans amongst other attractions.

beinn dearg bothy.jpg

Crossed the stream behind the bothy, and the track steepens as it climbs more or less in a straight line up the gulley

beinn dearg up the gulley.jpg

some deer on the top of the ridge across the stream watched me make my way up, wish I'd brought the good canon super zoom as they were pretty still and I'd have got some good shots. Shortly afterwards and oh how I'd wished I'd had the super zoom camera as an eagle bothered its way down the ridge on my side mobbed by a couple of smaller birds. I'd thought I'd seen eagles before and am pretty sure my sighting on Ben Wyvis recently was genuine, but this time there is no mistaking the enormous wing span and lazy flapping, this the best of the photos

beinn dearg eagle.jpg

Shortly afterwards and I am at the old stalkers path. On the way up there was a constant rumbling which initially I had thought were jets from Lossie or Luchars, but then realised that due to the very v shaped gulley it is actually the noise of the stream as it flows down amplified.

beinn dearg stalkers path.jpg

To be honest if you were very fit and capable you could probably still cycle up most of the stalkers path and there was in fact some evidence of bike tracks up top. I though, hid the bike in the heather and made my way up on foot. It's a pretty easy climb, the zig zags taking all the sting out of it.

I was soon up on the plateau and my first close up view of the Beinn Dearg

beinn dearg plateau.jpg

and encountered the only real bog factor on the entire route, it only lasts fifty meters or so and is easily skirted around

beinn dearg bog.jpg

The climb up is straight forwards literally. The cairn in the distance is Meall Dubh

beinn dearg meall dubh cairn.jpg

There's a slight dip before the climb up to Beinn Dearg itself

beinn dearg dip.jpg

It was misty up top when I started, but by the time I reached the summit cairn the gods had smiled on me, this the view east towards what I assume would be Beinn a'Ghlo

beinn dearg view east.jpg

The clag may have lifted or more probably been blown away by the biting east wind, so a quick bite to eat and back down at double scamper :lol:

A view of the summit from the plateau once I'd got down

beinn dearg summit.jpg

A nice view south from the edge of the plateau, the bothy would be about center of shot

beinn dearg view south from edge of plateau.jpg

Concerned about my new pride and joy hiding in the heather without a cable lock around the wheels I quickly descended, collected it and contemplated the push up the steep start to the track home

beinn dearg collect bike.jpg

Wasn't an issue getting to the elevated start of what is a fantastic free wheel pretty much all the way back :D

beinn dearg track home.jpg

So where does the hunners and hunners from the title come in :?:
Just around the next bend a reasonable size heard of deer escape across the track in front of me; I'm really enjoying getting this close to them, on a bike you can get pretty close :!: and they are majestic as they bound along, very fit creatures. I really must get my go pro sorted out and come back for some movie shots.

Anyway I carry on down enjoying the 30 kph cruise when I spot another heard in the distance, and then further along another heard.
Managed a photo of the last heard that shows them clearly enough

beinn dearg deer.jpg

There were literally more than a hundred altogether, but the expression I believe is hunners and hunners :lol:

Must make sure the good camera is on these excursions at all times and the gopro as well.

Deer sightings over it is down the last of the moorland track and through the deer fence; no surprise they have to have these :!:

beinn dearg moorland track.jpg

as you can see a really nice cruise back down, in total including stopping to take in the awesome deer it took about an hour to get back from summit :!:

Once through the deer gate along past the firing range

beinn dearg range.jpg

it's more or less tarmac again and continuing to cruise downhill.
Watch out at the bottom of the hill for the left turn just after the new big farm sheds though as if on a bike at speed it's easy to get carried away and overshoot down through the collection of cottages at the bottom.
I back tracked, got my barrings and was soon at the car.

As I say on foot I think this munro would be a slog, on a bike its definitely great fun 8)
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Re: hunners and hunners

Postby Fife Flyer » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:59 pm

Enjoyed reading that :clap:
The purists prefer the long slog, not me I cycled it from Calvine :wink:
Didn't enjoy the cycle as much as you, my bike doesn't have suspension & over the stony track I was getting 'all shook up' :lol: Out of interest has all the pipe laying work finished? Was out that way April last year.

ImageDSCF3679 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/126167535@N05/,
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby ancancha » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:52 pm

I'm an out for the smile on my dial rather than the masochisium :lol:
Looked at bikes for a very long time and hired a couple up north recently
Full suspension makes a big difference, and combined with the new 29" wheels pretty much absorb everything at speed.
Be prepared to make adjustments for a couple of times after getting one, despite what they set it up as in the shop.

Anyway to answer your question there still seems to be construction activity about 1500m down the gulley from the bothy, evidently I noticed it, but wasn't aware what it was about.
There is a very good road down to this in the Glen Bruar Gulley

flyer pipes.jpg

All the big volume pipes in your photo weren't there, so presumably unless they had a change of mind they are buried.
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby Oldwoodpusher » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:14 pm

Thanks, great report. I did that route about 20 years ago, also on bike in? May. Had to abandon the bike about halfway: the landrover track holds the snow long after it's melted elsewhere. In the gullly above the bothy, a ?peregrine flew past, carrying a still flapping grouse, upside down. No eagles though. And the top was in clag, I found the trig point only after doing a square search. Nice to see the view from the top, after all these years!
Oldwoodpusher
Mountaineer

Munros:186   
Sub 2000:9   

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland