walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgurr an Airgid - Kintail

Sgurr an Airgid - Kintail

Postby Gordon Ballantyne » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:17 am

Corbetts included on this walk: Sgùrr an Airgid

Date walked: 18/10/2018

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 7.8 km

Ascent: 845m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Early start to catch the ferry at Tarbert. Arrived with time to spare so went into the hotel for breakfast.
Caught the ferry and drove down through Skye, musing on the way whether I would have time to do a Corbett.
Felt I had to work off the two breakfasts I'd had in Tarbert and on the ferry, so decided I could just squeeze Sgurr an Airgid in if I didn't stop.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Sgurr an Airgid from the Ratagan Hostel on the way out to Lewis.jpg
Sgurr an Airgid from the Ratagan Hostel on the way out to Lewis

Parked at the cemetery car pak and headed off up the path. Didn't see anyone, but near the top I cut up off the path to Mam na Dubharaiche, as I wasn't sure if there was a path up from the bealach to the top of S an A. Of course there was ! Followed the path up to the top, arriving at the same time as the clag. Fortunately it was just wafting around. The trig point was in a bit of a state - thought it was a waypoint marker rock until I got closer. Didn't stay long at the top as the darkness was creeping in and the rutting stags were roaring away.

The semi demolished trig of Sgurr an Airgid.jpg
The semi demolished trig of Sgurr an Airgid

Not far back down from the top a stag crossed the path about 20m away. When it saw me, it just stood and looked at me. Oops, I thought, hope it doesn't think I'm a stag. I clapped my hands, but it still stood there looking at me until it realised I didn't have horns, then trotted away back into the corrie where it came from. That was a let-off......

Mam na Dubharaiche after the stag encounter.jpg
Mam na Dubharaiche after the stag encounter

There were a couple of stags roaring at one another in the bealach, so I took my shortcut back down to the path to avoid getting involved in any rutting.
I hurried on down to avoid having to use my head torch, which resulted in Jeelie leg syndrome back at the car. Supper, a shower and bed at Ratagan Hostel sorted that.
Next morning it was minging weather, so I lost my opportunity to knock off Sgurr Mhic Bharriach on the way home.
Och well, it'll still be there the next time I pass !
Gordon Ballantyne
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:91
Fionas:20   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:59   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland