walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

My Daily Walk - Further than ever before

My Daily Walk - Further than ever before

Postby RiverSong » Fri May 15, 2020 5:24 pm

Date walked: 15/05/2020

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Living in these strange and worrying times, I look forward to my daily walk, me and several hundred others. You can see us all out walking up and down the pavements, saying Hi from a distance, all of us determined to make the most of our hour of exercise. I've now made up dozens of walks starting from my front door and i've enjoyed each one. Official guidance now states we can go out for unlimited exercise, so I'm having fun planning much longer walks, but still from my front door. I've never been up the town since the lockdown started, so I'm looking forward to walking up there and seeing the Castle and the gardens again.

An unexpected bonus of the lockdown has been the improvement in air quality since the cars and planes were grounded. The views are tremendous, you can now see further than ever before and you can see things for the first time ever. Some people are saying you can see Ben Lomond and Ben Ledi from the local beach, i dont know if you can but i have a good look for them every time i go out.

Here are some photos from my latest walk, which show the views which are still in the process of opening up to us all.

The River Almond going over the waterfall at Cramond
007.JPG

The water is now very clean, just a few months ago this water was brown and very foamy. I think this is to do with the shutdown of the airport, as they used to dump antifreeze in the river :?
021.JPG

Mother with her ducklings.
There's always been a lot of wildlife in the river but still, it's nice to see this
037.JPG

Although most planes have been grounded, there are still some flying from the airport
064.JPG

An incredible view of the Fife coast from the Roman harbour.
I've seen this view thousands of times but usually you can only see the outline of the cliffs, being able to make out individual houses and paths along the cliffs is amazing. Is it just me or are the trees just that bit more green this year, and is the broom just that bit more golden?
071 (2).JPG

This is Barnbougle Castle. Just behind it you can see the towers of the three bridges at South Queensferry - the Rail Bridge, the Road Bridge and the Queensferry Crossing. The strange concrete pillars along the beach were built as part of the Forth Defences during the second world war, to protect the ports at Rosyth and Grangemouth
034 (3).JPG

Looking across to the Fife Coast, you can see Oxcars Lighthouse there. This was built by the Stevenson family, who built most of Scotland's great lighthouses.
035 (2).JPG

The Abbey on Inchcolm. It's incredible to see this, I've never been able to see the Abbey from here before. In the background is the domed peak of West Lomond Hill
076 (2).JPG

Someone's private plane on its way to land
006 (2).JPG

Robin on the golf course.
They are very tame now, and they will come right up to you looking for food.
015 (2).JPG

A lovely wee bird singing it's heart out for the whole world to listen to, but only me there to hear it.
023 (2).JPG

Wreck of a ship visible at low tide.
In the background is Inchmickery, an island made to resemble a battleship as part of the Forth defences. If you think the name is strange (as I've always done) it roughly translates to "Island of the vicars".
026.JPG

The shipwreck with Oxcars Lighthouse behind.
029 (2).JPG

Spring flowers in someone's garden
002.JPG

I'm convinced the trees are stronger and more colourful than ever before
010.JPG

One final look at the Fife Coast, amazing detail
025.JPG
Attachments
083.JPG
RiverSong
Walker

Re: My Daily Walk - Further than ever before

Postby RiverSong » Fri May 22, 2020 5:02 pm

My daily walk
RiverSong
Walker

Postby Sgurr » Fri May 22, 2020 8:52 pm

I hope you get to keep all your ducklings. Ours (at anywhere near the town centre) have been eaten by seagulls and the heron. I don't know if the seagulls are feeling extra hungry as there are no students leaving bits of chip suppers around. Whatever reason, none lasted out their first week. Some nice pics. Not a bad walk at all.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:219   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:139
Wainwrights:160   Islands:58

Postby RiverSong » Sat May 23, 2020 2:16 pm

Sgurr wrote:I hope you get to keep all your ducklings. Ours (at anywhere near the town centre) have been eaten by seagulls and the heron. I don't know if the seagulls are feeling extra hungry as there are no students leaving bits of chip suppers around. Whatever reason, none lasted out their first week. Some nice pics. Not a bad walk at all.

I really hope they survive. I've been feeding the ducks a bag of peas since the lockdown started and sadly, i think there's less of them around. i also think there's less seagulls and swans, but maybe they've just gone elsewhere in search of food. Thanks for your nice comments, it is a nice walk and one i do often :D
RiverSong
Walker

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland