walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Winter at Kylerhea

Winter at Kylerhea

Postby Jaxter » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:14 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn na Caillich (Kylerhea), Sgùrr na Coinnich

Date walked: 10/04/2021

Time taken: 5.55 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 706m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous day - it's not all about size

When I woke up for a pee early the next morning the light suggested it could be a good day 8)

When we were properly up and about a few hours later, it was a lovely morning. We got the tent down and drove around to the high point on the Kylerhea road.

We started up the hill – we’d thought that if we kept left-ish and stuck to the grass it would make the going easier. It turned out that it didn’t :lol:

Looking back to Ben Aslak

It was tough work – the ground wasn’t good, the gradient was steep and I wasn’t feeling good at all. For now though, the views were good, and as we climbed higher we could see Beinn Sgritheall

We kept plodding away, but could see a snow storm moving in. It looked like we were going to get hit :shock:

We hunkered down behind a rock and decided to sit it out. I was feeling dreadful so sat down and tried to eat something.

Once the storm had passed we were about to give up and head back down – I was feeling really bad, but thought it we continued a few metres higher we’d get some views. We plodded higher and soon the gradient and the ground improved. We could see ahead to the summit ridge

Caught the edge of another snow storm

Looking back to Rum

The Cuillin starting to appear

I was beginning to think that maybe we’d make it to the top of the first hill – I was feeling slightly better and the snow had cleared (for now :roll: ). We were now around the same height as Ben Aslak, so not too far to go…

Applecross hill starting to appear as we hit the ridge

Finally – the summit in sight!

Summit of Sgurr na Coinnich

It was an absolutely incredible viewpoint – I was so glad we’d made it.

Beinn na Caillich and Loch Alsh

Ben Aslak and the Sound of Sleat

We found a spot to sit down and had a bit of a breather. It was beautiful and not even that cold now the snow showers and wind were gone

Kintail

We could see another shower coming so we dropped down a little so we’d be more sheltered.

Once the snow storm was over we thought that we’d continue dropping off the back of the hill – although we hadn’t been contemplating the second hill, now that we were looking at it… :crazy:

Looking back up, the sun was starting to appear again so we continued down towards the bealach

Looking down to the Skye Bridge and Applecross behind

Looking back to what we’d just come down

Looking ahead – we decided to head up the left hand side where there were some ledges and we could head up diagonally and not too steeply

Some frozen waterfalls – generally the rock was dry though, and the snow was powdery here

We managed to zig-zag up the side of the hills, weaving inbetween the crags when they started to appear. We could see the Storr across the water

We were looking straight down on the Skye Bridge

Summit ahead

Knoydart was starting to clear 8)

Finally on the ridge we could see ahead to the summit – I was knackered but managed to drag myself the last few metres…

Jaxtering on the summit of Beinn na Caillich

Looking across the Skye Bridge towards Portree and north Skye

The Applecross Corbetts above Kishorn

Black and Red Cuillin

Looking across to Beinn Sgritheall

Looking down Loch Alsh

Torridon – Beinn Alligin particularly prominent

Snow angel :lol:

It was beautiful and we didn’t want to go, so sat around for a while before heading down

Dropping back down to the bealach wasn’t as bad as I’d thought it might be, and before long we were trying to make our way around the base of our first hill to drop back down

The ground wasn’t too bad as we rounded the base of the hill, and the views across to Beinn Sgritheall were superb 8)

Once we dropped out of the snow the ground got much steeper and very heathery. I was shattered by this point as was struggling. I suggested getting on the road as soon as possible.

It was hard work but we were making slow progress

Suddenly we were above the road…and it had got steeper

The last section to the road was horrendous, but at last we were there. Unfortunately we had to walk back up the hill, which was torture.

Finally back at the car we went for the world’s laziest camp :lol:

The views were spectacular 8)

And it was even a good spot for the sunset!

Next day - lovely coast walk and some paths!
Attachments

activity_6583829413.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland