walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glas Maol Munros

Glas Maol Munros

Postby SecondRow » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:54 pm

Route description: Glas Maol Munros circuit, Cairnwell Pass

Munros included on this walk: Cairn of Claise, Càrn an Tuirc, Creag Leacach, Glas Maol

Date walked: 16/06/2021

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 20.06 km

Ascent: 975m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Geal Chàrn, Monadhliath090621.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

This was a better set of hills than I actually anticipated. Not especially rugged, but with good views towards bigger hills and interesting quirks like a wall marking a boundary line at a summit (the dedication to wall building of days gone by never fails to amaze me).

I had planned to park at the Ski centre, thus doing the hills in a clockwise direction and getting the 2km walk along the side of the road out the way at the start. My recollection (perhaps mistakenly) was that the car park used to have a ticket machine. Arriving at 7am I was greeted by signs instructing me to pay for parking at the cafe or online. The cafe was still closed and I had no phone signal (3g/4g or otherwise). Unwilling to wait until the cafe opened, I decided not to risk the sour aftertaste of a parking ticket and drove to the small free car park about 2km North.

After the initial ascent up Carn an Tuirc, the walking was a doddle. The cloud cleared to give views of MacDui et al, still with snow in the corries.

The first 3 summits, while enjoyable all felt fairly similar. The 4th, Creag Leacach, has an altogether more angular feel to it, with an inviting looking ridge leading to the main body of the hill. It's not quite the Aonach Eagach, again for reasons I can only guess at, someone has seen fit to build a wall down the middle of it. The last little push to summit is rocky with loose stones, and while straightforward gave slightly more of a challenge that the first 3 hills.

Descending via the track below the chairlift, I was amazed how quickly I lost elevation and was soon back at the ski centre. The walk along the main road still need to be done, but it was not the grind I had anticipated.

P1010603.JPG

P1010604.JPG

P1010605.JPG

P1010606.JPG

P1010607.JPG

P1010608.JPG

P1010609.JPG
SecondRow
Walker

Munros:96   Corbetts:26
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:34
Walk wish-list

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland