walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Some Balmoral Tumps in Sketchers

Some Balmoral Tumps in Sketchers

Postby Gordon Ballantyne » Sat May 28, 2022 10:52 am

Date walked: 26/05/2022

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 29 km

Ascent: 800m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We switched from our first choice of Auchallater on account of the blustery weather forecast, to the more sheltered environs of the Balmoral estate.
Took our bikes to avail ourselves of the good quality surface of the Balmoral tracks.
Squeezed in at our usual parkup at Easter Balmoral.

Parkup at Easter Balmoral.JPG
Tight squeeze at Easter Balmoral Parkup

Mounted our electric steeds and headed up the track to our first hill, past the now manned "police station" with gun-toting constables.
Turned out to be a bit of a "DOH" day for me........read on.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Had a short detour to visit some stables in the woods as we tried to find the "shortcut" track across to Canup. Eventually found it and crossed the footbridge to regain the track that looped around by the Dee.
Chained our bikes to a tree and mosey'd up Canup, I found the first few metres strangely light-footed, and when I looked down found that I'd forgotten to change into my walking shoes, so was sporting my cheapo Costco Sketchers that I use for driving..
Ah well, I thought, if the old SMC folks climbed some of their early routes in "gutties", then this shouldn't be a problem.
Continued to the top of Canup, finding a piece of tape tied to a tree, marking the highest knoll.

Top of Canup.jpg
GordonC at the top of Canup

Wandered over to the Princess Royal's obelisk, marveling at how the precariously mounted orb on top had stayed there for so long...... Guess there must be a bit of rebar stuck up its chuff.

Grand view down Royal Deeside

P Royal Obelisk Canup.jpg
Princess Royals obelisk on Canup

GB at P Royal on Canup.JPG
GB and H at Princess Royal's obelisk

Plaque on P Royal obelisk.jpg
Weathered plaque on the Princess royal's obelisk

Returned to recover our bikes and head up the track to Ripe Hill.
Some of the maps show there is a "shortcut" through the woods to cut out a descending loop in the main track.
What started off as a nae bad track, degenerated into a forwarder track, which thankfully, didn't last long until we emerged back on to the main track - just as these cyclists - who'd we met following us on the main track previously - whizzed by, having taken the "long route". Ah well.......
We met these cyclist further up the track having lunch, so we stopped for a news. Seems they were medics "walking the talk" on the exercise front.
Carried on and missed the start of the track up Ripe Hill. However the going was easy up through the mature pine woods until we intersected the track near the top of the first patch of wood. Wandered up the track across the open ground to the, decrepit boundary dyke, then easily over fresh blaeberry growth, up the summit wood to the top.

Track up to Ripe.JPG
Track up Ripe Hill

Found a wee cairn at the top and sat down for a piece, sheltered from the gusty wind and glancing with some concern at the trees, bending and creaking above us with every gust.

Top of Ripe Hill.jpg
Cairn at the top of Ripe Hill

Scurried off back down to the bikes, leaving the swaying trees behind to the blustery breeze.
Biked up the track to where the path started towards our last two hills, where we "discovered" a huttie providing a perfect bike shelter for us. " Thankyou, Your Majesty".

The bike shed.JPG
The "bike shed" below Cnap a Choire Bhuidhe

As we prepared for our last walk, the blue-garbed medical cyclists reappeared, having been beaten back by the high winds whistling doon the glen beyond. Had another wee chat, then headed up the path, which had been repaired in a few places - great job.
Struck off up Cnap a' Choire Bhuidhe from the wee lochan, staggering around in the blustery breeze.
Hunkered down behind a big stone at the spot height for a snack. Continued to lurk a bit longer, as another squall passed over us, thus avoiding the worst of a drookin'.

GB near top of Bhuidhe.JPG
GB near the top of Cnap a choire Bhuidhe - Lochnagar behind

GC on Cnap a choire Bhuidhe.jpg
GC lurking behind the summit stane of Cnap a' choire Bhuidhe

We watched the clag swirlin around Lochnagars' Cac Carn Beag, then lurched off into the wind towards Craig Doin.
Staggered around the top of Doin and then agreed that with another squall imminent, it was not the weather for sight-seeing, so we didn't visit the cairn at the end of the summit plateau.

WClacg from top of Craig Doir.jpg
Clag envelops Cac Carn Beag, seen from top of Craig Doir

Turning our backs to the wind, we hurried back down to the path and to the sanctuary of the "bike shed".
Unlocked our bikes and cruised down to the Gelder brig, then past the stables by the track and down into the forest. We waved to the Polis on the way by and stopped at the cars.
AAAARGH, - nae car keys ! Frantic search through all my pockets and hillbag without a result.
Back on the bikes and up the glen. GC powered ahead with his mega battery, while I sputtered along with my puny one, which cut out every time I demanded more power.. Harvey & I waited at the stables before Gelder while GC powered back to the huttie, to find my bunch of keys adorning the floor. Whew, what a star ! Met him powering his way back down the glen, so focussed that he nearly swept by, until I shouted. Made sure that the keys were securely zipped up a pocket this time.
Isn't it typical that the only time we didn't do our " Spectacles,Testicles,Wallet and Watch" routine to check we hadn't left anything, was where I dropped my keys. Cest la vie....
Felt for poor Harvey as he had to do some extra trotting while we biked. However, his tail was still wagging when I gave him his last treat at the car - which I was now able to open - thanks to GordonC's sterling effort.
No time for coffee today, so straight home, while GC returned to his caravan at Braemar - what a pal !
Gordon Ballantyne
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:89
Fionas:20   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:59   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland