walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Blue skies and inversions on some hills in Assynt

Blue skies and inversions on some hills in Assynt

Postby rockhopper » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:54 pm

Route description: Cùl Mòr

Corbetts included on this walk: Breabag, Canisp, Cùl Beag, Cùl Mòr, Glas Bheinn (Assynt)

Date walked: 16/08/2020

Distance: 55 km

Ascent: 3600m

12 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

16.8.2020…..Cùl Mòr

Set off after breakfast on the Sunday morning for the long drive up from Glasgow. After a brief stop off in Ullapool for some lunch, I was lucky enough to get the only available space in the parking layby for Cùl Mòr a little before 1400hrs.

A good track from the layby took me north then NW across the moor. Met quite a few people walking back downwards.

NE towards Conival

Up and over Meallan Diomhain then aimed for the base of the northerly ridge to the right of the next photo.

It was surprisingly windy on the way up – more exposed on this side of Coire Gorm and I had to watch my footing at times.

Up to the summit trig with more extensive views of Assynt and the neighbouring hills

Suilven

I headed downhill round the cliffs of Coire Gorm and got a little shelter from the wind

Stac Pollaidh

Some interesting rock formations

Selfie

Then NW over Sròn Garbh to the 758m point

Another selfie

Looking back above Coire Gorm

I retraced my steps before going south and up to Creag nan Calman

Stac Pollaidh

Cùl Beag

Panorama

It was then just a case of going down eastwards alongside an allt aiming for the stony ground of Meallan Diomhain after which I rejoined the track to get back to the car.

I was now the only car in the layby. Wouldn’t have to use this as I’d brought my own.

17.8.2020….. Cùl Beag & Canisp

A rather inauspicious start as I woke to low cloud and mist before dawn. No point in getting up that early so the alarm was snoozed for an hour. Eventually set off at around 0615. Initially on a track skirting the edge of Lochan Fada then round Druim Donn. After going over a low fence, the track seemed to disappear so just a case of heading westwards into the clag.

Not much to say really from here until near the top as I couldn’t see much at all in the clag. I was convinced it was going to be this way for the whole way until up past Meall Dearg and the lochan I started to come out above the mist.

Inversion

The view towards Cùl Mòr continued to clear over the final 100m to the summit cairn.

Cairn

Stac Pollaidh was completely clear

Suilven in the distance

The wind was strong making it difficult to take photos. Waited for a while just watching the inversion blowing over then headed back down the same way – back into the clag after about 100m of descent then back to the car.

Drove up the road to the layby at the start of the Canisp track. Only a couple of other cars there when I arrived. One walker set off a short time before me and two other walkers with a dog set off a little after me.

Initially the track goes back down towards the loch until arriving at a bridge over a stream then changes to eastwards. I followed the track upwards over a small hillock then down towards the stream and up to the north of another hillier section where I came across a large slabby area – this made for very easy walking.

After that the path seemed to disappear but the going was straightforward enough often over some rocky ground. Some walkers in the distance who were descending.

View towards Suilven

Arrived at the summit with plenty of time for photos before the two walkers with the dog arrived.

Large stone shelter at the top

Quinag

Suilven

Conival

After the two walkers arrived, we said our suitably distanced “hellos” and I then set off back down. A little down from the summit, the other walker from the car park arrived – not sure which route he had taken as I hadn’t really seen him since shortly after he departed.

Stopped for a selfie

Basically retraced the outward route back to the car.

I then drove up towards Loch Assynt and stopped in the car park to walk over and visit Ardvreck Castle.

17.8.2020….. Glas Bheinn & Breabag

Parked in a small layby at NC238285 across from Quinag. Initially followed a path eastwards before turning to follow another track southwards until I got to around NC240279. Left the track at this point and aimed for a grassy gully which rose steeply up the hillside in a SE direction. Discovered a track for much of the way up the gully which aided progress. Some light scrambling needed at times until I got up to the rim of Coire Dearg.

Quinag

I then followed upwards round the rim of the corrie.

Got to the cairn above the corrie then headed over to the summit cairn.

Inversion to the east

Took a few more photos then returned directly NW to retrace my steps back to the car.

Loch na Gaimhich and track back to the car

Got back to the car about 0900hrs then drove south through Inchnadamph to the car park for the Bone Caves. The car park was empty at this point but another car arrived to drop off a walker just as I was setting off.

There’s a good path to follow alongside the Allt nan Uamh. Stayed on its northern side for the ascent until I crossed the Allt at NC275172 and headed eastwards up the hillside. A mix of deep heather, bog and rocky sections made for tricky walking at times.

Quinag

The walker from the car park had his dog with him and wasn’t far behind – he had taken a slightly more direct route up from south of the Allt.

Arrived at the top a little before him

Suilven, Canisp and Quinag

Conival and Ben More Assynt

Had a socially distanced chat with the other walker at the summit and for part of the way down. He had completed two Munro rounds and used to be in the Tayside MRT. We parted company before getting to the Allt as I wanted to take a direct route to see the caves and he was going to descend via my ascent route.

I headed west and contoured round the hillside to stay high where possible.

Canisp with the caves to the left of the photo

Got the foot of the caves path then went up to have a look inside them.

After that I descended directly from the caves, crossed the Allt and walked back to the car park. Met quite a lot of people walking up to the caves. By this time the car park was full. Got changed and waved to the walker I had met earlier as he was driving off.

Long drive back to the south of Glasgow – no major holdups other than the usual roadworks on the A9 and was back in time for dinner.
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Re: Blue skies and inversions on some hills in Assynt

Postby iainR » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:09 pm

Some really amazing pictures there, well worth the epic drive...cheers.
iainR
Walker

Munros:78   Corbetts:30
Fionas:26   Donalds:62
Sub 2000:21   

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:48 pm

I think this is probably my favourite part of the country and you certainly got your moneys worth from this trip with some brilliant walking and photos.

Good to see i'm not the only one that can't stop photographing Suilven when on nearby hills :lol:
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:05 am

'S math sin ..not far away now :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby rockhopper » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:14 pm

iainR wrote:...well worth the epic drive...
Thanks - my "unwritten" rule is that the drive time there/back shouldn't be greater than time on the hills :)

Gordie12 wrote:...Good to see i'm not the only one that can't stop photographing Suilven when on nearby hills :lol:
Thanks - yes, would agree especially when it's visible from quite a few :)

Collaciotach wrote:...'S math sin ..not far away now...
Thanks - the plan was to finish the corbetts this year but other events got in the way - fingers crossed for next year :)
rockhopper

Postby Mountainlove » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:28 pm

Some fantastic pictures from an amazing area :clap:
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:34 pm

Stunning - one of my favourite parts of the world, thanks for posting :clap: :clap:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby litljortindan » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:57 pm

Spectacular set of photos and legs clearly still working!
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Graeme D » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:43 pm

This is a no bad report! :lol: Seriously though, vintage rockhopping in Assynt! :clap: That first zoomed shot of Stac Polliadh! Wow. 8)
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby wildmountaintimes » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:50 pm

Great photos :clap:
wildmountaintimes
Mountain Walker

Munros:262   Corbetts:9
Sub 2000:1   

Postby rockhopper » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:34 am

Thanks everyone :D
litljortindan wrote:...legs clearly still working...
Graeme D wrote:... vintage rockhopping...
Of late, I've been noticing that I'm slowing up quite a bit as the years progress :roll: Certainly couldn't manage what I used to only 5 - 7 years ago. Still, it does allow more time to enjoy the walks I guess 8) - cheers :)
rockhopper

Postby Sunset tripper » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:00 pm

Hard to beat days like these Rockhopper. What a great area indeed. I have had a couple of good inversions myself since lockdown. :D

Not so sure about the trowel idea though. :shock:
Sunset tripper

Postby dogplodder » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:37 am

When conditions are right you can't beat Assynt - so well captured in your photos! :thumbup:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Alteknacker » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:15 am

WHAT a sequence of walks. Just marvellous in every way. And brilliant pics (except for the selfies :wink: ).

That's it: definite must do's for next year!
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby rockhopper » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:50 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:Not so sure about the trowel idea though. :shock:
:lol: :lol: A good idea I guess but haven't seen any being used (fortunately perhaps :wink: ) - cheers :)

dogplodder wrote:When conditions are right you can't beat Assynt :thumbup:
Yup - Assynt holds great memories from 60s/70s family holidays - cheers :)

Alteknacker wrote:(except for the selfies :wink: ).
One of these days I'll master the art and take one the right way round :lol: :wink: - cheers :)
rockhopper

12 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland