walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Grange Fell Maze

Grange Fell Maze

Postby Mountaineer » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:36 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Grange Fell

Date walked: 11/09/2020

Time taken: 1.15 hours

Distance: 3.5 km

Ascent: 170m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had originally planned to tick Grange Fell and Culkin Rigg on my way home from a few days in Snowdonia, but with the weather closing in I elected to climb just Grange Fell this day.

As others have described, there is good parking under trees at NY253815, a situation helped by the seemingly ongoing road closure. From here the ascent up the zig zag track is simple, the only slightly tricky part (easy enough with a GPS) being finding one's way though the trees that have now overgrown the firebreaks. The trig point stands in the middle of a small clearing in the forestry plantation.

I got back to my car just in time to avoid the cats and dogs that began to fall from the leaden sky.
Attachments
8B23D036-757E-49DE-B766-75B5F8EF4E00.jpeg
Mountaineer
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:218   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:98   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:14   

Re: Grange Fell Maze

Postby Jaywizz » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:02 pm

Quite agree about the maze around the summit. I had reached the latter by using GPS and then deliberately put it away when I left the trig and avoided the way I had arrived there. Just for the challenge ......... good to know my sense of direction still works!! :D
Jaywizz
Wanderer

Munros:237   Corbetts:34
Fionas:71   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:167   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:4   Islands:26

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland