walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Minigaig Track

Minigaig Track

Postby Gordie12 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:29 pm

Date walked: 14/09/2020

Time taken: 7.1 hours

Distance: 35.6 km

Ascent: 665m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I use the Minigaig path every April as it's good for doing a high mileage and seeing how the legs are before heading off to do a long distance walk.

It felt strange this year to be doing the walk in mid-September ahead of attempting to do the Dales Way in 4 days next month but that is the Covid world we live in.

As usual the track was deserted apart from the odd 4x4 heading for the lodge which is 8 miles off the A9.

Heading away from Calvine and the A9 there is a steep climb for the first few hundred yards before reaching a wooden hut before the gradient continues to climb but eases up. Half a mile in to the walk a chap in a 4x4 stopped and offered me a lift to the lodge (tempted but no thanks). The first 3.1 miles is just a steady climb then the track drops down in to Glen Bruar and is relatively flat for the next 5 miles before reaching the big lodge.

I had no intention of climbing Beinn Dearg today but in any case the clag was down so there would be no view from the top. I always had it in mind to continue beyond the lodge for around 3 miles and this meant I walked to the point where the Minigaig path changes to more of a stalkers path and climbs out of the glen.

A quick sandwich at the bridge and I turned and headed for home just as the clouds lifter and there was the odd spell of sunshine. When the sun was out it was surprisingly warm.

When I do this walk I always know that I have the climb out of Glen Bruar to look forward to and today this came at the 18.5 mile mark and it can be a real test of the legs.

The last 3 miles are downhill but can seem to go on forever and today it certainly felt that way.

Good to cover 22 miles but I need to be able to do that distance for 4 consecutive days in 3 weeks time so I need to get the finger out and get some walking done before the big day.

1.JPG

2.JPG
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland