walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Colt Hill and a couple of Arches

Colt Hill and a couple of Arches

Postby McMole » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:46 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Colt Hill

Date walked: 08/09/2020

Time taken: 2.5 hours

Distance: 12.2 km

Ascent: 406m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This year's objective was to tick off the remaining mainland Marilyns south of the Highland Boundary Fault. With five of eight done by March, covid-19 threw a four month delay into the schedule and it was the end of August before I was down to the final summit. I was keen to take advantage of even a semi-reasonable forecast before another lockdown arrived. It arrived and I set off for Colt Hill to the north-west of Moniaive. A couple of hours later I drove through Moniave, turned right at the Stiriding Arches road sign onto North Road and promptly hit the worst pothole of the day as I did so! The following five miles from there is single track all the way with only a few marked passing places, but many field gates and driveways et cetera providing other passing opportunities, though the frequency of both diminished to near zero over the last couple of miles. Fortunately I met absolutely nothing coming towards me. The road quality also deteriorated markedly after passing Benbuie. The tarmac ended there and a stony well-potholed track slowed progress until I reached a closed gate at Blairoch
P1040756 s.JPG
The padlocked gate at Blairoch
.I had read that it was now padlocked and so it proved. There was a 'no parking' sign there, so I turned and parked at the start of a forest track 180m back down the road.
P1040753 s.JPG
The potholed rack and what appears to be a well-used parking spot.
P1040755.JPG
A first confirmation of he cloud level
Colt Hill route s.gif
Once I'd reassembled my bike I cycled off along the track and one kilometre later reached the junction leading to the Cairnhead Striding Arch where others, including Fife Flyer, had parked before the gate had acquired its padlock. I met two walkers who'd just visited the arch there, and after a quick chat I cycled on past a couple of information boards with built-in bench seating.
P1040769b s.JPG
Information boards with seating
After another kilometre the track joined what must be the main forestry road. It started to ascend more rapidly and I was soon pushing my bike through the forest and up into the clouds.
P1040767 s.JPG
Looking back down the forest road
P1040768 s.JPG
View up the forest road half way to the top.
As it crested the ridge I left my wheels at the 510m col and walked 650m east following a well-travelled path beside the fence to find the Colt Hill Striding Arch and trig point appearing out of the mist.
P1040758 s.JPG
Follow the fence uphill
P1040760 s.JPG
The arch and trg point come into view
P1040761 s.JPG
A clearer view. The summit is located beyond the trig point.
I visited both and also the summit said to be about 20m ENE of the trig point and 30cm higher at NX 69878 99010. That whole area is quite flat so no one point is obviously the highest. In fact the highest point there is now the top of the arch, but I wasn't tempted to climb it! Some of the stones appeared to have slipped slightly so they don't form a smooth curve.
P1040762 s.JPG
Has that second bottom stone slipped outwards?
P1040765 s.JPG
and is this more evidence of slippage? Return in a few years and take another photo perhaps.
It would be interesting to find an earlier photograph to see if they have moved. Perhaps a return visit in a few years to see if they've moved any more. By now I'd realised that any hopes for a sunny day had evaporated, or rather had washed away, as a chill wind and a slight shower encouraged me to leave my lunch in my rucksack and return to my bike for a rapid descent. I passed another pair of walkers as I sped down to visit the Cairnhead Striding Arch. What had taken almost an hour to ascend took about 20 minutes to descend braking all the way.
P1040776 s.JPG
Approaching The Byre. The arch is at the far end.
P1040772 s.JPG
The Cairnhead Striding Arch
Named on one map as The Byre the arch has been constructed through an opening in its gable end. I'd have gone inside but the door was locked. The nearby cottage has been left to crumble.Back at my car I found it had been joined by another, and as I removed my boots a delivery van headed to and then returned from Blairoch. As I drove back I saw some information boards beside a small patch of woodland.
P1040781 s.JPG
Information signs at possible start for the Bail Hill Striding Arch
P1040781c.JPG
Plan your route around the four arches but there are now more forest roads
I stopped to read them and decided that it was a possible start point for those wanting to visit all four arches. There was a map showing the locations of all four, but don'r rely on that alone for planning a route. There are now more forest roads to offer alternatives. On the way to Moniaive I was relieved to meet only one car when I was almost there, and a quick 20m reverse solved that.

And I did later find a 2009 photograph of the Colt Hill Arch on-line and it looked then the same as it does now .
McMole
Walker

Munros:141   Corbetts:50
Fionas:40   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:149   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:4   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland