walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Mheadhonach, corbett from Bridge of Tilt

Beinn Mheadhonach, corbett from Bridge of Tilt

Postby gld73 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:50 pm

Route description: Beinn Mheadhonach, via Glen Tilt

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Mheadhonach

Date walked: 16/09/2020

Time taken: 5.2 hours

Distance: 22 km

Ascent: 820m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Had been thinking of trying to do a couple of munros further east as a bigger detour on my drive back to Inverness from a few days in Edinburgh, but an earlier start and higher cloud would have been better for that .... so at the last minute I decided just to stick to the A9 and stop off at Bridge of Tilt to do this corbett, having done the munros from here in the past.

Set off from the surprisingly full car park (given it was a cloudy Wednesday in September) at 12:15 and followed the WH route up Glen Tilt, then over Gilbert's Bridge and onwards towards Beinn Mheadhonach. Once the vehicle tracks were left behind, the path was still easy to follow all the way. The summit plateau was in cloud on the approach, but the view down Glen Mhairc was lovely as I dropped down towards New Bridge. The informal path from there was easier to follow than I expected, right up to the summit plateau. A nice surprise to also bump into dogplodder from the WH forums, descending the hill with a friend as I was heading up - the only other people I saw on this hill today.
APDC7420.JPG
View down Glen Tilt from the ruins at Ach Mhairc Mhoir

APDC7422.JPG
Top of Beinn Mheadhonach in cloud (centre right) as I approached

I was fortunate that the cloud lifted briefly while I was on the summit plateau, so I walked to the places which looked like they could be the highest (within a few centimetres of each other in height, so I don't know which was the true summit for certain) before heading back down when the cloud started to come down again. No great views today, the nearby munros seemed to have their heads in the clouds the same as Beinn a'Ghlo did when I was up there last week.
APDC7425.JPG
Looking east from the summit plateau towards Carn a Chlamain and Beinn a Ghlo, the munros still had their summits in cloud

APDC7426.JPG
Looking back south along the plateau from part way along. Cairn in the photo as a feature, though this point may not be the summit

I returned the same route, though looked back to see the clouds had lifted properly and I could have had lovely conditions at the summit if I'd been up there half an hour or so later. Oh well.
APDC7427.JPG
Typical! Descended the hill, crossed the bridge and looked back up beautiful Glen Mhairc ...to discover Beinn Mheadhonach (left) was out of the clouds completely

Didn't take the variation on the return route, just followed the same track back. Overall, a quicker and more straightforward walk than I'd expected, a lovely way to break up a journey on the A9.
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Re: Beinn Mheadhonach, corbett from Bridge of Tilt

Postby dogplodder » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:36 am

Lovely to meet you. I didn't expect to see anyone else on that hill on a cloudy Wednesday never mind someone from WH - most exciting part of the day for Keira! You got better views than we did on top but it cleared nicely for us on the way down. :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Coop » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:16 pm

Nice one, good you're getting back out.
An area I need ho get back to
I was on two Corbett's at glenfinnan yesterday and driech wet conditions with limited views as well
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby gld73 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:02 pm

dogplodder wrote:Lovely to meet you. I didn't expect to see anyone else on that hill on a cloudy Wednesday never mind someone from WH - most exciting part of the day for Keira! You got better views than we did on top but it cleared nicely for us on the way down. :D

I know, on a cloudy midweek September day, having a corbett to yourself is usually a given :lol: Nice to meet you (and Keira of course!), I've read a lot of your walk reports, funny bumping into you in person in Perthshire when we both live up north!
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland