walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ennerdale: Crag Fell, Lank Rigg and Grike

Ennerdale: Crag Fell, Lank Rigg and Grike

Postby jonathan - norfolk » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:10 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Crag Fell, Grike, Lank Rigg

Date walked: 06/08/2020

Time taken: 4.5

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 850m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Crag Fell 523m, Lank Rigg 541m and Grike 488m

This was a good, although rather rambling, walk that also took in Whoap 511m.

I set out from the lake Car Park in Ennerdale late morning. Nowhere difficult, although picking a way through the bracken on the lower slopes was a little problematic. Once above Angler's Crag, picking a way through the pinnacles under Rivelin Crag was not without interest either, especially in the mist. Crag Fell to Lank Rigg via Whoap is a very pleasant fell walk, although it does involve quite a lot of descent and re-ascent a bit of bog-trotting in the depressions. Again, later when the mist really came in, some close attention to route finding was needed to find the summit of Grike (there has to be an easier way than the way I went!).

2020.08.06_9954w Crag Fell 12.30.jpg
Crag Fell summit cairn

2020.08.06_9955w View descending from Crag Fell 12.31.jpg
Looking towards Ennerdale Water on the descent from Crag Fell

2020.08.06_9957w Lank Rigg 14.13.jpg
High point of the day! The summit Trig point on Lank Rigg

Forestry working had closed off the main descent route back down into Ennerdale (with no warning or alternative route indicated), so worth checking the state of operations carefully at the start of the day. Fortunately, due to my late start, they'd finished for the day, so I was more or less able to stick to my original plan.

Although a bit misty at times, generally the rain held off. An enjoyable outing.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

9.75 miles/ 15.6 km +1046m/3267 ft, c.4 hours 50 mins
jonathan - norfolk
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:15
Fionas:11   Donalds:22
Hewitts:242
Wainwrights:214   Islands:3

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland