walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Chilly Hart Fell

Chilly Hart Fell

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:01 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Hart Fell

Donalds included on this walk: Hart Fell

Date walked: 07/02/2011

Time taken: 4 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Been hoping to do this walk for a while now and the plan was to do the horseshoe but due to the weather, mainly the wind, i decided to drop off the ridge from the summit cairn and head down into the valley. The forecast was drizzle, which was to clear early afternoon, but unfortunately for me it didn't.

So anyway i set off at 11 from the cottage in light rain making my way upto the ridge, and as i gained the height the drizzle turned to sleet, then hail and a driving wind which left me walking with my head facing the ground.
Feb 068.JPG
What looks like a view point, which i avoided to the wind and lack of view

Eventually i reached the summit with sore eyes due to the hail and wind.
Feb 069.JPG
A self portrait

Feb 070.JPG
Summit Cairn

After a quick couple of photos on the summit, it was time to get off.
Feb 071.JPG
My route down

Unfortunately on my way down i didn't cross the river early enough to get on the track so i was left to carry on down the boggy route as there was no places to cross the river.I still enjoyed the day even though the weather was against me and i allways say you need to be out in days like this for when the weather does turn to prepare you for the worst.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:18   Corbetts:206
Grahams:160   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:270   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Re: Chilly Hart Fell

Postby dooterbang » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:07 pm

Your right, you should experience days like this. Once your out its good fun battling the elements.

Well done for getting out.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:256   Corbetts:58
Grahams:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland