walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Two Carns from Glen Callater

Two Carns from Glen Callater

Postby iainR » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:57 pm

Munros included on this walk: Càrn a' Choire Bhòidheach, Càrn an t-Sagairt Mòr

Date walked: 19/09/2020

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 23 km

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Accompanied this time out with workmate Big Jie the walk began at the busy carpark at Auchallater where we set off along the Glen Callater track. Pockets of morning fog still hung about near the mouth of the glen but was quickly burning off with the promise of a blue sky day as forecasted. It took us around an hour to reach Loch Callater where we branched off from the main track and climbed up the narrow hill path which runs up behind the lodge and bothy buildings.
Into Glen Callater__.jpg
Into Glen Callater

Loch Callater Lodge__.jpg
Loch Callater Lodge and bothy

The going on the hill path was great and once we rose up out of the glen and above the loch the sky was clear and the views began to open up. After a quick bite to eat further up the hill we looked for the final route to the summit of Carn an t-Sagairt Mor which i had wrongly read was a path which lead up the length of a drystane dyke but was in fact an old fence line which we eventually found after walking straight passed it !
DSCN0010__.jpg
Down the fence line

A short time later we seen groups of fellow walkers milling about the summit area which was quite wide and was crowned with two cairns at either end both of which we visited. Another point of interest near the summit was the scattered remains of an RAF Canberra Jet which hit the hillside back in the 1950s.
Carn an t Sagairt Mor summit__.jpg
Carn an t-Sagairt Mor summit cairn

Wreckage__.jpg
Aircraft engine wreckage

We looked around for the best approach to the next hill of the day, Carn a'Choire Bhoidheach and decided to follow the track over the length of the summit area and down to the main path which we'd left earlier. From here we reached a path junction and basically took the obvious left turn more or less all the way to Bhoidheach passing more groups of walkers and a guy on an electric mountain bike! A great view from this area was the distant Dubh Loch and the crags around it.
Dubh Loch moto__.jpg
Dubh Loch and surrounding crags

After a gradual ascent the path leveled out and another junction appeared where this time we turned right and reached our target a very short time later. The views from the summit of Carn a'Choire Bhoidheach were just as extensive as our previous hill but the large expanse of Lochnagar was so much closer and very tempting but alas a bridge too far as our supplies were getting low and the addition of a third Munro would've meant driving back home to the central belt in darkness...nah.
After our second and final food stop we retraced our route back to Glen Callater in the late afternoon sunshine and as usual when i'm walking with Big Jie after a day on the hills we seem to power walk back to the car !
Carn a Choire Bhoidheach summit moto__.jpg
Carn a'Choire Bhoidheach summit area

Loch Callater moto__.jpg
Loch Callater

Despite the long walk in it was another fantastic day spent in an area i've grown to really appreciate over the past couple of summers and i will definitely return.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

iainR
Walker

Munros:78   Corbetts:30
Fionas:26   Donalds:62
Sub 2000:21   

Re: Two Carns from Glen Callater

Postby rockhopper » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:03 am

Nice day for it. Interesting way to approach these hills as opposed to a Glen Muick start. Haven't been in Glen Callater but looks a nice route - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby iainR » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:36 pm

rockhopper wrote:Nice day for it. Interesting way to approach these hills as opposed to a Glen Muick start. Haven't been in Glen Callater but looks a nice route - cheers :)

That was a route i found on the SMC Munro guide but a Glen Muick adventure will be on the cards next year....thanks.
iainR
Walker

Postby Sunset tripper » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:52 pm

Glen Callater is a great approach for these hills. I like to take the bike up to the bothy. Brilliant path from there all the way to Lochnagar.
Cheers :D
Sunset tripper

Postby iainR » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:09 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:Glen Callater is a great approach for these hills. I like to take the bike up to the bothy. Brilliant path from there all the way to Lochnagar.
Cheers :D

Mountain bikes would've been handy for the glen section but an old motorcycle injury rules me out of that option !
iainR
Walker

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland