walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stuc A’chrion

Stuc A’chrion

Postby CaledonianCalm » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:34 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn), Stuc a'Chroin

Date walked: 19/09/2020

Time taken: 7 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was a very warm day and we set off in a good pace then sun blazed down and we slowed down. We were very happy when we started stomping in the shade of Ben Vorlich.

With Ben Vorlich finished our group started heading down the fence line. Waking poles with rubber stoppers off were needed. It was steep but easy enough route to follow.
32A22F3B-F31D-46C6-B3AA-AA1EAA95DBE6.jpeg
From Ben Vorlich down to Stuc A’chrion
Thanks to the helpful people on the site.

Instead of going up the steep side bouldering we cut down and across to the far side to climb up and round. It was still very steep and boy my thighs were screaming. It was slippery and uneven. People were coming down that way on their bums! Everyone we passed I asked “did you come up this way?” All the people that climbed the bouldering side said it was a pretty scary climb!
23EE5E44-39CD-40D0-B27F-CC8DFCABC7BE.jpeg
We took the longer route that was not as steep but still challenging
But I was super impressed that this glamorous e-cigarettes smoking lass and we were keeping pace with managed.
We passed by the boulder summit and headed to the true summit with views that could have came straight out of Lord of the rings!
Double back on to the boulder summit had a bite to eat and started our descent down the path we climbed. Oh boy! I just took my time and stuck to the grass.
The track back to the path is soul destroying, boggy and uneven. I felt muscles in my legs and ankles I never knew I had and I’ve ran marathons!
We got back to the path and I took a dip in the pool.
1A272689-7450-4225-A076-6B805E48A5C5.jpeg
Cooling off!!
It was awesome!

2 Munro’s in one day. Would I do Stuc A’chrion again? Never! But it was worth it!
CaledonianCalm
Wanderer

Munros:4   
Grahams:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   
Islands:26

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland