walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Greenfield to Cluanie

Greenfield to Cluanie

Postby revalation » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:07 pm

Route description: Poulary to Cluanie

Date walked: 31/08/2020

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 32 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Day 2 of my trek from Fort Augustus to Morvich. After being dropped off at my finish point the previous day (Greenfield), I was on my way in fair weather.
P1000849.JPG
Bridge over Loch Garry to Greenfield

P1000850.JPG
Loch Garry

Before reaching Greenfield (walked the previous day) there is a forest track sharp right after a farm building - there are good views of the mountains to the west.
P1000851.JPG

The track is good all the way to Garrygualach. There does seem to be farm activity here, but all the buildings still appear to be derelict. There is a bridge across the burn and path continues past an older building on the right.
P1000852.JPG
Derelict building at Garrygualach

P1000853.JPG

P1000854.JPG
Second abandoned building

After Garrygualach the path follows low lying ground along the River Garry for about 4km. It is boggy, but there is a fairly distinguishable path - you just have to be a bit careful where you walk (quite spongy in parts), but really appreciated the scenery.
P1000855.JPG

P1000856.JPG

P1000857.JPG

P1000858.JPG

After passing the remains of buildings, things do get really boggy and where the cattle have trodden, very messy. I lost the path here. I made my way accross the stream to a new building and new track, then a bit of cross-country through rough cut down forest to the forest track leading to the bridge.
P1000859.JPG
View over River Garry towards Loch Poulary from bridge

Finally reach road again at Poulary. The scenery along here is impressive especially Loch Poulary and the mountains in the distance. Hardly any traffic on this road.
P1000860.JPG
Loch Poulary

After a couple of kilometres, the path leaves the road and the 350 metre climb out of Glen Garry begins. Definitely worth taking a breather from time to time just to look back and enjoy the panoramic views over the glen.
P1000861.JPG

Having left Glen Garry, the descent down to Glen Loyne begins. There is a feeling of remoteness here (although there is seemingly a good 4G connection) and the views down are very satisfying.
P1000862.JPG

P1000863.JPG

P1000864.JPG

Not much remains of the deciduous forest marked on the map, though the mature dead trees add to the atmospheric scenery. There looks to be plenty of great spots for wild camping along the River Loyne and there are plenty of places to cross without getting feet wet.
P1000865.JPG
Glen Loyne

P1000866.JPG

I made my second path error of the day taking my eyes off the map, turning right too early but it turned out to be an enjoyable mistake. By the time I realised it, I didn't want to backtrack, so decided to make a steep energetic climb over Creag Liathtais but the views were spectacular, the higher I went which made it worthwhile and perhaps a bit more interesting than the recommended route.
P1000867.JPG

P1000868.JPG

P1000870.JPG
View from Creag Liathtais towards Loch Loyne

The old road to the Isles (old A87) also comes into view (now submerged by Loch Loyne - Google "old A87" for more info).
P1000871.JPG

I descended from Creag Liathtais returning to the official path and then eventually to the Old A87 - it really does give an appreciation of what "A" roads were like back then, but makes a great end of day walk down to Cluanie where my lift awaits.
P1000872.JPG
Old A87

P1000873.JPG

P1000875.JPG
Loch Cluanie

P1000876.JPG
First view of Cluanie Inn

P1000877.JPG
Cluanie

An excellent day's walk in dry, fairly sunny conditions. Possibly the best scenery on the Scottish National Trail so far and yet I know the best is yet to come.

greenfield_to_cluanie.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Next stage: Cluanie to Morvich https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=100549
revalation
Walker

Munros:6   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland