walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Seana Bhraigh from Oykel Bridge via Creag an Duine ridge

Seana Bhraigh from Oykel Bridge via Creag an Duine ridge

Postby brmcl » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:19 pm

Route description: Seana Bhràigh

Munros included on this walk: Seana Bhràigh

Date walked: 24/09/2020

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 42 km

Ascent: 950m

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

SB from Creah an Duine ridge.jpg
SB from Creag an Duine ridge
There are three good reasons for climbing Seana Bhraigh from Oykel Bridge:

1. River levels permitting, you can bike in to the base of the mountain.
2. The view of the mountain from the north is impressive
3. You can climb it via the Creag an Duine ridge - which is steep, narrow and involves some scrambling in exposed positions.

As others have reported, there is a well maintained vehicle track from Oykel Bridge to the public car park at The Schoolhouse at Duag Bridge (7km according to View Ranger). The track is also good from there to Corriemulzie Lodge (another 3km). From there the track deteriorates, but the estate uses it to ferry clients in 4x4s all the way up to Loch a Choire Mhoir, so it still cyclable with a mtb. I am not a regular cyclist, but I chose to cycle from Oykel B and from there to Loch a Choire Mhoir (where I dumped the bike) took me about 2 hours.

Loch a Choire Mhoir to Seana Bhraigh summit via the Creag an Duine ridge and back to the bike was about 4 hours, including about 15 minutes at the top.

The return journey on the bike took me about 1.5 hours - so about 7.5 hours in total.

I was able to cycle across all the burns except the one at GR 293907, but even there I was able to keep my boots on and drag the bike across whilst hopping from one boulder to another. There is also a track across the outflow from Loch a Choire Mhoir, which (on the day) I was able to cycle across.
Attachments
Suilven from SB.jpg
Suilven from SB
Stac Pollaidh from SB.jpg
Stac Pollaidh from SB
An Sgurr & Creag an Duine from SB.jpg
An Sgurr & Creag an Duine from SB
Loch Luchde Coire and the  Assynt hills behind.jpg
Loch Luchde Coire and the Assynt hills behind
brmcl
Munro compleatist

Re: Seana Bhraigh from Oykel Bridge via Creag an Duine ridge

Postby gaffr » Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:03 pm

Having reached Seana Bhraigh from the 'other side' and much later via the Creag an Duine ridge....a great day out in the hills. :)
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland