walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cally Car Park (Dunkeld) - Far End Of Lochan Oisinneach

Cally Car Park (Dunkeld) - Far End Of Lochan Oisinneach

Postby Gordie12 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:02 pm

Date walked: 25/09/2020

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 35 km

Ascent: 536m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

An early start this morning, leaving the car park at 7:15AM. It's no wonder this car park fills up quickly as the far end seems to be inhabited by various vans that seem to overnight in there on a pretty regular (if not continuous) basis plus there were the usual three or four campervans.

I'm usually first out on to this walk but I passed two other people in the first twenty minutes - I'll need to sort this out in the winter as I always start in the dark and disturb the deer as they rest near the track. It can be quite spooky seeing lots of pairs of yellow eyes reflecting off the light from my head torch. Once we have the dark mornings I also get to listen to the owls as I head up towards Mill Dam - not long to wait now.

Anyway, it was a cool morning and pretty breezy even in the more sheltered wooded lower section of the walk.

1.JPG
Deuchary Hill

2.JPG
Early morning light

3.JPG
Between Raor Lodge and Loch Ordie

4.JPG
Looking back towards Raor Lodge

As usual on reaching Mill Dam I continued on the main track to Raor Lodge then up to Loch Ordie. The early morning sun had gone by now as clouds rolled in and it was noticeably colder as the shelter had gone and I was now being hit by the strong northerly wind.

5.JPG
Loch Ordie

At Loch Ordie I stuck with the track to Kirkmichael heading north towards Lochan Oisinneach Mor and Lochan Oisinneach. To the far end of Loch Ordie the track was bone dry but even after a dry spell the next 3-4 miles are often a bit on the dampside.

The climb from Loch Ordie to the two lochans is on a very easy gradient which makes up for the underfoot conditions.

6.JPG
I must have photographed this ruin from every possible angle over the years

Not sure how many times I've been to Lochan Oisinneach Mor but every visit is special and it's a place I can never tire of. So quiet and so beautiful.

From LOM to LO takes about thirty minutes and I stopped by the trees at the far side of LO.

7.JPG
Someone has taken a saw to this branch

8.JPG
So they could have a seat round the fire - leave no trace..............

9.JPG
Love this tree - it might be down but it doesn't give up!!

Dairylea cheese and strawberry jam sandwiches eaten so time to head for home. Really cold at this point, felt more like November than September.

10.JPG
Heading back to LOM

11.JPG
LOM

12.JPG
Looking North

Back at the ruin I took the right hand track and headed towards Guay before taking the first left hand turn to take me back to just north of Loch Ordie.

13.JPG
Bridge is stable, sides less so

14.JPG
Deuchary Hill from north of Loch Ordie

15.JPG
Loch Ordie

Back at the bridge at the far end of Loch Ordie I stopped to stick the ear pieces in so that The National could keep me company for the last hour and a half. By now the sun was fully out so November had retreated and September had returned.

The track back to the car park was surprisingly quiet with only a few peeps around.

16.JPG
Taken from a mile south of Loch Ordie looking towards the loch

17.JPG
Rotmell Loch

18.JPG
Mill Dam with Deuchary Hill beyond

Mainly downhill back to an overflowing car park, not sure where everybody was..................

Great day to be plodding around on some great hill tracks.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland