walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glas-Bheinn Mhor from Alltsigh

Glas-Bheinn Mhor from Alltsigh

Postby TheTortoise » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:31 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Glas-bheinn Mhor

Date walked: 19/09/2020

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We parked at Alltsigh on the A82, because it gives good access to both Glas-Bheinn Mhor and Meall Fuar Mhonaidh, with just one section of rough ground between the two. We set off up track together through forest but the Hare soon sped off. We would be walking separately all day so that he could bag the 2 hills, whereas I, going slower, would just bag the one. I had been up Meall Fuar Mhonaidh many years ago. There was fog in the valleys as we started. Leaving the forest, the track went through open moorland, initially with some attractive regeneration, especially on the disturbed land next to the track. The last section was through moorland with no trees, and I walked out of the fog into clear blue skies.
DSCN4228.jpg
Cloud inversion over Loch Ness
Near the end of the track was a handy boulder to sit on for refuelling, then I set off across the generally easy angled terrain to the summit.
DSCN4229.jpg
Off the track and heading for the summit
From the summit, there were amazing but distant views all round, from Meggie to the Ben to Gulvain to the Affric, Achnasheen and Strathfarrar hills, I spent quite a while with PeakFinder identifying the peaks and eating lunch.
DSCN4232.jpg
Zoomed view to Nevis
57.2724°N, 4.5940°W (3).jpg
Peakfinder labels the hills
57.2724°N, 4.5940°W (4).jpg
More labelling
There was a remote chance that we might have met on the top, but my route was really straightforward and his route between the 2 Grahams was complex (the Hare looked at the gully mentioned in the SMC guide, then backtracked a bit and took a wider sweep). I hung around hoping to swap rolls (I had mixed up the lunches a bit, giving us both 2 rolls the same instead of one of each), then walked down a bit towards Meall FM for a view of the lochans, but no view of the Hare.
DSCN4230.jpg
Lochs and Meall Fuar Mhonaidh
So I set off back downhill, paused on the same boulder to eat the second roll,
DSCN4234.jpg
Looking back at Meall Fuar Mhonaidh from the boulder
and returned down the track. It had been a really straightforward day (for me).
Here is my approximate route.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

TheTortoise
Mountain Walker

Fionas:219   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:1   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland