walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgurr an Utha

Sgurr an Utha

Postby litljortindan » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:24 pm

Route description: Sgùrr an Utha

Corbetts included on this walk: Sgùrr an Utha

Date walked: 26/09/2020

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 9 km

Ascent: 757m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Was originally headed for the south side of the A830 but a phone call to the estate cast doubt on that; I'd forgotten to check re. stalking in the area and the only confirmation I could get was that stalking was taking place but to call another number for details. Couldn't get through so thought it prudent to change plans, particularly as I didn't want to be mistaken for a deer for a second week in succession.
A quick look at the map indicated that one of the small hills on the north side of the road might be an ok stalkingless option. Probably not the brightest decision to then follow a landrover track leading into the hills! However, the irrationality of doing that to avoid stalking did dawn on me and I was prepared to retreat if necessary. It was another ostensibly windless day though and I welcomed the extra assistance of the track in ascending the first 350m or so. I'd hoped it would be cool and breezy but it was still and I felt quite warm. At least there was no swarm of keds to fight off and not a midge in sight!
Left the landrover track and ambled over the Druim na Brein-choille crag-tops with good views of the head of Loch Shiel. I really was ambling though. Where was the wind?
Continued north and, at a distance, crossed paths with and said hello to a couple who I later spotted on Fraoch-bheinn. A bit of a breeze had got up now together with a slight dip in the temperature and that suited me just fine. The walking that had been a bit of a struggle became relatively effortless, albeit I was now ascending lesser gradients.
I got to a knoll between Sgurr an Utha and Fraoch-bheinn and decided to continue west as the map indicated that there might be a good view down Loch Beoraid. The only doubt about that was the occasional fine drizzle that had appeared.
An easy walk west for 1km saw me at the summit and the view over Loch Beoraid to Eigg, Rum and Skye beyond was indeed the highlight of the day. There was even a rainbow thrown in.
The couple who had been on Fraoch-bheinn appeared near summit shortly after me but I'd had a good five minutes there taking in the view so I more or less just stepped down from the cairn as they stepped up. Had a brief chat about the welcome coolness and the good view and was asked if I was making a circuit. I hadn't made my mind up about that but as they mentioned they were using a WH route that looped back via Sgurr an Utha's south ridge and a gully that made my mind up for me. After 0.5km I cut off south from the ridge and followed grassy ramps to descend to the obvious path leading back to the landrover track. Felt like a summer's day descending by the Allt an Utha.
Half way down the track the WH map couple jogged past. I could do with having that sort of energy!

A nice sunny morning but there's no wind.

Looking back down the track.

And up ahead.

West.

My descent route was along grassy ramps well to the right of this gully I think.

First view across the head of Loch Shiel.

Less clear to the east. In fact, I woke up to and drove through drizzly showers on the way.

Quite steep!

First clear view of Sgurr of Eigg to the west.

Still gloomy to the east.

Rum Cuillin.

The Rois Bheinn hills.

Sgurr Dhomhnuill I think.

Ben More on Mull?

Sgurr of Eigg again.

Black Cuillin.

Sgurr an Utha summit.

Should have stuck to the ridge for longer but it was ok descending after 0.5km.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland