walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Dumyat with Jura

Dumyat with Jura

Postby gokirsten » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:58 pm

Route description: Dumyat by the hill path

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Dumyat

Date walked: 26/09/2020

Time taken: 1.5 hours

Distance: 7.5 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was looking after my Dads labradoodle, Jura so I was looking for a small hill we could do on a Saturday morning. Jura has only recently been introduced to hillwalking having walked the Lowther hills a few weeks ago. She loved it but got a little too excited around sheep!

Dumyat seemed like a perfect choice for us, not too challenging and only a 40 minute drive. I’d never did a hill on my own so this seemed fine as it was a popular hill with a good path.

We set off at around 10ish and reached the hill by 11. The carpark which Walk Highlands suggests you park in is only reached by an extremely tight one track road. It very difficult to pass if another car is coming the opposite way. The carpark itself once reached was really busy so I ended up parking next to a gate in front of another car. Not bad to get into but extremely tight to get out! I just hoped the other car would be gone by the time I was back at the car. :shock:

To start the walk, there is a sign pointing towards Dumyat and a clear path which runs through a forestry track and comes out at another carpark a few minutes later. Then you can see the path climb very clearly up the hill. I had thought about downloading a route on Viewranger but there was no need as you can’t really go wrong with the path.
C9AAAA46-5367-4E60-878B-3F886F21DFDB.jpeg
Start of the path

Jura picked about 10 minutes into our walk to do her poo which meant I spent the rest of the walk swinging about a poo bag! Theres warnings about dog fowling but no bins in the carpark to dispose of said poop.
7B5D32FC-80CC-4EAF-8222-E46243C8A8A2.jpeg

We followed the path up which was relatively easy but its obviously a popular local hill as it was pretty busy. I can understand why as some of the views over Stirling and towards the Wallace monument are excellent. Jura was kept on the lead the full way up due to how busy it was.
EF72B43A-7FBE-4FA7-BF8F-7B5BFE2F11C5.jpeg

After about 45 minutes, we reached the top! I tried to get a few pictures of the views and Jura but it was difficult to get decent ones while trying to keep hold of the dog! Its hard to mistake the top as it has a trig point, memorial to the Argyll and Sutherland highland regiment and a large beacon. I was saying into myself “Light the beacons!” like I’m sure others have done before me.
E5837A9E-6D16-4D70-B68D-9864E10D8456.jpeg
Gondor calls for aid!

B507B1EF-9967-41FC-9F29-C3FC0892DB95.jpeg

C0FA3504-35D8-4D4C-B614-1877426EDDFE.jpeg
Trig and views

After a drink of water for us both, we headed back down the hill. I noticed that just past the memorial there was another distinct path. I decided to take it and it was a much better choice. On this path, we only met another 3 small groups of people. This meant Jura could run about and enjoy herself off the lead. We kept to this path all the way down and rejoined the main path just before the carpark by cutting across the grass. The other path probably ends at another carpark but I just stuck to what I was sure of.
64A64B7B-5A8F-468E-AE11-925671DF6C9F.jpeg
Jura on the quieter path

When we reached the car I discovered the other car was still parked next to me so it was going to be a nightmare to get out. I swallowed my pride and asked a group of people if one of them could help me out. A man kindly came over and helped guide me out. If it wasnt for him, we’d probably still be there so thank you! The hero of the hour! :clap:

The one track road was a nightmare getting back out (especially if you take a wrong turning) but we got there in the end.

When driving out, I noticed there was a large carpark at the bottom of the scary road. It was there for the church so no parking on Sunday mornings. If I ever go back I’d probably park there to avoid packed carparks and dodgy roads!
1BF66DCB-3042-4B69-A613-683B644DB582.jpeg
Jura snoozing after the walk ❤️
Attachments
B35801F5-0B25-4D93-ABAB-2BA8487DA325.jpeg
gokirsten
Hill Bagger

Munros:89   Corbetts:9
Fionas:6   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:6   Islands:6
Walk wish-list

Re: Dumyat with Jura

Postby Jaxter » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:59 pm

gokirsten wrote: I was saying into myself “Light the beacons!” like I’m sure others have done before me.

Every time 8) 8)
And the first time I climbed onto it was very Pippin-like too :roll: :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Dumyat with Jura

Postby gokirsten » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:44 pm

Jaxter wrote:
gokirsten wrote: I was saying into myself “Light the beacons!” like I’m sure others have done before me.

Every time 8) 8)
And the first time I climbed onto it was very Pippin-like too :roll: :lol:

Has to be done! Maybe next time I’ll get to jump in the beacon if its quiet enough! :lol:
gokirsten
Hill Bagger

Munros:89   Corbetts:9
Fionas:6   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:6   Islands:6
Walk wish-list

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland