walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Working from Home on Ben Vorlich (Loch Lomond)

Working from Home on Ben Vorlich (Loch Lomond)

Postby skullhead » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:52 pm

Route description: Ben Vorlich via Loch Sloy

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Lomond)

Date walked: 14/08/2020

Time taken: 2.2 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 921m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I'd been looking for a hill that I could do from Glasgow on a weekday and hopefully get home before 9am and work started. Clearly pre-COVID there would be no danger of making it into Glasgow City Centre for 9am showered etc but I thought home in a sweaty mess might just about be achievable if I got up at around 4am.

I'd been utterly spoiled weather wise with a brilliant day on Ben Nevis a few days before so I was keen to see if it was like this every time (I found out a few days later on Beinn Bhuidhe that this is certainly not the case!). So the challenge was set. I left the power station car park at around 5:40am ish and made good progress along the hydro track getting to the stoney path still in the mist. No route finding mishaps this time.
IMG_7879.jpg
Hydro path back down toward the Loch
IMG_7880.jpg
Start of the path up the hill

I found the path pretty steep and it was quite humid so a pretty sweaty affair. I was definitely the only person on the hill at 6am that day. The mist was only broken by shadowy sheep emerging and running off frantically in random directions.
IMG_7893.jpg
Spooky sheep
I thought that I must be at least 2/3rds of the way up by this point judging from distance traveled. I noticed that the sky was brightening - little did I know what I was in for!
IMG_7896.jpg
Clouds what clouds?

I've never been in a cloud inversion before and didn't think this was a likely experience in the west of Scotland. I can only describe it as being similar to emerging from underwater the contrast was really that stark.

The going became a lot easier and I was totally absorbed by the views - fantastic in every direction. The only disappointment was that I wasn't really sure what the other hills I was looking at were. I spent a good forty minutes or so with the watch paused just enjoying the summit before realising that my clocking in time was fast approaching.
IMG_7904.jpg
Wow!
IMG_7912.jpg
Beinn Ime?
IMG_7913.jpg
More wow
IMG_7921.jpg
Ben Lomond peeking out?
IMG_7926.jpg
And again
IMG_7929.jpg
again
IMG_7935.jpg
again
IMG_7940.jpg
again
IMG_7943.jpg
terry towelling making a comeback
IMG_7955.jpg
The road to?

Taking one or two last looks I then descended back under the cloud layer with an immense sense of satisfaction
IMG_7991.jpg
Bye bye sun!
. The descent was pretty hassle free but a little slippy in the wet and every slug in the west had decided to slither (does a slug slither?) onto the path. No matter it felt as if I was running on air all of the way back down the hydro track. I did pass a couple of others on the way but didn't give away what I'd just seen - it was probably gone by the time they were at the top.
IMG_8004.jpg
Time to go!

I got back to the car and afforded myself the luxury (or misfortune depending on your view) of McDonalds pancakes and coffee and eventually pulled back into the drive at about 9:20. Not bad going before breakfast!

A great hill with lots of character that I'd like to visit again highly recommended. A bike could be useful for the track to the start of the path up the hill. My guess is that it is about 3-4km each way.
skullhead
Hill Bagger

Munros:192   Corbetts:13
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:1   

Re: Working from Home on Ben Vorlich (Loch Lomond)

Postby Alteknacker » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:35 pm

Nice to see what this one looks like. I've only been up in quite heavy clag!

Takes a lot to beat a good cloud inversion - glad you experienced one!
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Re: Working from Home on Ben Vorlich (Loch Lomond)

Postby weedavie » Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:48 am

I once did Narnain, Ime and Vane in inversion, with the cloud at about 913 metres. Each time after Narnain I was on tenterhooks about what I'd see from the next one. It was amazing emerging each time, with cloud more or less at my ankles on Vane. Knackering day, but.
weedavie
Mountain Walker

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland