walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stuc on 50? Hopefully not for long!

Stuc on 50? Hopefully not for long!

Postby polmanb » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:40 pm

Route description: Meall Greigh, Meall Garbh and An Stùc

Munros included on this walk: An Stùc, Meall Garbh (Ben Lawers), Meall Greigh

Date walked: 27/09/2020

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 16.5 km

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A bit of a disappointing year tally-wise for obvious reasons, but I wanted to satisfy my borderline OCD and at least get to 50 Munros before being locked down again! With my total on 47, I decided to finish off the Lawers group by walking the Coire nan Cat circuit. This would also have the additional benefit of giving me a memorable 50th, with a wee bit of scrambly stuff.

I made the Lawers Hotel in good time, and after posting my £5 in the wee box outside, I set off at about 8.45am in the crisp sunshine alongside a nice group of 3 people that I'd end up leapfrogging the whole day.

Got to the top of Meall Greagh in about 2 hours, I think. The views looking back to Loch Tay on the way up were nice,

20200927_093931.jpg

but as the WH report says "all eyes will be drawn to the ridge to come". Right enough. I nearly got a crick in my neck from walking while constantly looking over at the the scarily steep-looking An Stuc to the left.

20200927_111837.jpg

With the good weather, the downhill and flat section towards Meall Garbh was a doddle. I read some reports where people had difficulty in the mist, but on a good day there route is so clear.

I found it quite a steep slog up to Meall Garbh, but the views when you get there make everything worthwhile. It's like a who's who of mountains, with Nevis, the Buachaille, and of course An Stuc

20200927_125747.jpg

20200927_125756.jpg

20200927_125843.jpg

After a couple of sandwiches, I stowed the poles and set off for what I thought would be the fun bit.

I read that the best route to take was to head left and up the gully, but was quite surprised to see such a path up it. I imagined I'd need to pick my own route like I did on Stuc a' Chroin. The first 3/4 of the way was steep but easy, and I found myself wondering what all the fuss was about.

20200927_133651.jpg

Then I got to the gully bit, which was horribly muddy and loose. A lot of the handholds (even big rocks) were wobbly, and I didn't have much confidence in them. I really didn't enjoy the last bit, and may have even uttered an expletive or two. Golly gosh. Anyway, the top was quickly reached, and number 50 achieved.

I found the path down to the lochain to be ok, and not as steep as I thought it was going to be. From a distance it just looks mental. The walk out was scenic, but boggy, and the last hour dragged a bit.

20200927_145824.jpg

Back at the car at 4.45pm in time for the football results. All in all, a great day out.
polmanb
Mountaineer

Munros:76   
Islands:14

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland