walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An A-Maze-ing Afternoon

An A-Maze-ing Afternoon

Postby Jaxter » Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:24 pm

Route description: Knockfarrel and Cnoc Mòr, Strathpeffer

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Cnoc Mor

Date walked: 27/09/2020

Time taken: 2.27 hours

Distance: 7.86 km

Ascent: 261m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Despite being super-duper careful, I'd managed to pick up a cold. On top of the Never Ending Covid this wasn't exactly ideal and had me laid low for a bit, typically coinciding with some excellent weather. Frustrating or what.... After a couple of days indoors we thought some fresh air would do me good. Malky suggested Knock Farrel as I'd never been there.

We drove past the car park a couple of times before finding it :lol: but eventually found ourselves parked up and heading along a good path past a big bird box

We followed the track and the sign posts towards the maze, looking out towards Strathpeffer

A little further on we could see Ben Wyvis and Little Wyvis clearly

It was very cold - the summer really is over now - but beautifully crisp. We reached the maze - rather than being a Harry Potter Triwizard-style maze it is designed more as a sort of sundial (loads of interesting info here) and is made from lots of different types of rocks from all over Scotland!

We followed the maze all the way to the centre 8) Malky was not impressed :lol:

From here, we followed easy paths along, gently climbing towards Knockfarrel

Sgurr a' Mhuillin & Meallan nan Eun

Our path reached the bealach - and we carried on towards Knockfarrel. Knockfarrel is an old hill fort, which explained why it was basically a big pile of rock! This would be our furthest point today but the views were worth it - looking along the ridge to Cnoc Mor

Dingwall and the Cromarty Firth

Loch Ussie

We sat and enjoyed a cup of tea and a snack, while allowing me to have a rest. It felt amazing to be out but my chest felt rubbish :shock:

Eventually we got moving - it wouldn't do to get cold! We decided to head along the ridge and see how far we got...

Across the bealach there was a short steep section which warmed us up but didn't seem too bad...after all it was probably the equivalent of a couple of flights of stairs, and I have to do that every time I need to pee at Malky's house :lol: :roll:

Looking back to Knockfarrel

From here the gradient was a lot easier, and it was a nice wee woodland path. We decided to carry on towards Cnoc Mor, keeping a look out for paths to get back down afterwards!

There were a couple of ups and downs right at the end which seemed a bit unfair, but at last, after dragging ourselves up a steep loose bit of path, we could see the trig point!

Summit of Cnoc Mor

I have the high ground!

The views from the trig weren't really a thing, so we climbed a stile and followed a path along towards a gap in the trees where we could see across Loch Achilty to Sgurr a' Mhuillin

The path looped around to join another path leading downwards from just before the final ascent to the trig. This dropped down steeply but seemed to be taking us in the right direction to cut off any extra distance.

This path led us all the way down to a track, which took us past a house with a lot of wooden carvings in the front yard!

A few minutes walk from here got us back to the car park, where I was able to throw the keys at Malky and get him to drive home, while I struggled to keep my eyes open :lol:
Attachments

activity_5599645611.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: An A-Maze-ing Afternoon

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:15 pm

I remember the old times when the stone maze was surrounded with lovely mixed forest... We once picked 14 kg of mushrooms in a single day, Kevin hated me afterwards (mushrooms were all over the house, including the bath :lol: ). The forest was cut down a few years ago and we haven't been there since, but I had a look in my library for some old photos:
woods 093.JPG
2007... and yes, the fat blob in the middle is really me ;P

stratpfepfepfe 032.JPG

I hope you will eventually put covid to rest, it seems to last forever for you!
Maybe try magic mushrooms? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

All the best from us!
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby Graeme D » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:49 pm

I see Malky has started bagging minor hills in cashmere jumpers now! Standards are slipping. I'm off to get my slippers on and fire the pipe up! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Jaxter » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:18 pm

BlackPanther wrote:I remember the old times when the stone maze was surrounded with lovely mixed forest... We once picked 14 kg of mushrooms in a single day, Kevin hated me afterwards (mushrooms were all over the house, including the bath :lol: ).

I hope you will eventually put covid to rest, it seems to last forever for you!
Maybe try magic mushrooms? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

All the best from us!

Wow - think how much mushroom soup you could make!! Thankyou both :D

Graeme D wrote:I see Malky has started bagging minor hills in cashmere jumpers now! Standards are slipping. I'm off to get my slippers on and fire the pipe up! :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland