walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Failure on first solo on Meall Garbh

Failure on first solo on Meall Garbh

Postby Dunswood » Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:52 pm

Route description: Meall Greigh, Meall Garbh and An Stùc

Munros included on this walk: Meall Greigh

Date walked: 02/10/2020

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 1000m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Forecast was good, my wife had other plans, so why not try the "other 3" on the Lawers Range. Having started hillwalking last July, we had conquered 7 munroes and a few lower hills in a couple of months. My first solo hike. Hamish the farmer whose farm I parked in, pointed out the first target - Meall Greigh... flippin heck that ascent looks steep... no word of that on Walkhighlands!
20201002_100855.jpg

The grassy ascent was steep in places and pretty relentless for this 62yo, I used my inhaler more on that incline than on all the previous 7 munroes.
20201002_130648.jpg

Made it, three flipping hours! But onwards, heading across the plateau to Meall Garbh was a nice stroll, but my leg muscles were beginning to complain... a lot! A couple of chats with firstly 2 couples - one of which was doing their first munro accompanied by a far more experienced couple (I hope they enjoyed the experience) Later at the bottom of Meall Garbh, another chat with a young guy, gave me encouragement to get on with it.
20201002_130020.jpg

Heading up the next incline it very quickly became obvious that I'd struggle to get up this one, never mind getting down again! My legs won the argument, and I slowly returned down from the hill. :roll: Looking longingly at Meall Garbh and An Stuc, I was thinking they'll have to wait until next year. Just one last look at the incline that gave me so much trouble...
20201002_145624(0).jpg
Dunswood
Walker

Munros:11   
Fionas:1   

Re: Failure on first solo on Meall Garbh

Postby dogplodder » Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:47 am

The benefit of this is you can now return for Meall Garbh with the experience you've already gained. For various reasons I've revisited hills normally done in a single day and reckon I've gained so much more from doing it that way. 8)
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: Failure on first solo on Meall Garbh

Postby Dunblane Bagger » Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:51 pm

Hey, It is great that you are getting out into the mountains, so please do not see this as a failure, more a success that you reach the summit of 1 as each mountain we climb throws up their own challenges. :clap:

The mountains will still be there for next time, and you will enjoy the ones you didn't reach this time all the more for exactly that reason..

Happy hillwalking.. 8)
Dunblane Bagger
Munro compleatist

Munros:145   Corbetts:33
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:6   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland