walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Loch na-h-Oidhche

Loch na-h-Oidhche

Postby HighlandTrekker » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:29 pm

Route description: Poca Buidhe and Loch na h-Oidhche

Date walked: 19/02/2011

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 560m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Friday evening and I'm sat at home looking somewhat annoyed at the MWIS website: Northwest Highlands 70mph gusts & cloudy; West Highlands 70mph gusts & cloudy; Cairngorms 70mph gusts & cloudy..... I think you get the gist... Now if you've ever walked in 70mph gusts you'll know on the summit of any hill or mountain is not the nicest place to be.
So after a quick check of the met office weather report I saw with a little bit of joy that there was to be a break in the cloud over towards Torridon.
So after checking wind direction and looking through the Walkhighlands many routes, I found myself, with the good lady wife, driving toward Bad an Sgalaig on the Saturday morning. This was the first time either of us had been this way as we would normally turn off at Kinlochewe and head towards Torridon... And it was along this road (A832) that I got my first sight of Slioch... Neither of us had seen this hill before (in the flesh) so I had to park up to take in its grandeur
Bad an Sgalag to Loch Na H-Oidhche 19-2-11.JPG
Slioch

About 10 mins later and we find ourselves at the parking area which is next to a green barn
Bad an Sgalag to Loch Na H-Oidhche 19-2-11 R.JPG
Parking area is behind this green barn

Opposite the barn is the beginning of the track which leads you all the way to Loch na h-Oidhche. There is a sign here with a little wooden hut which would normally have route maps inside but there were none on this occasion.
Bad an Sgalag to Loch Na H-Oidhche 19-2-11 R (1).JPG
Sign at the beginning of walk

The path is well laid and I couldn't see at any point where it may become boggy so gaiters were certainly not needed and I would recommend a lightweight pair of boots as my feet were really aching toward the end in my heavy 3-4 season Raichle's.
Back in 1994 Britain reviewed its forestry policy following the Rio De Janeiro Earth Summit in 1992. This resulted in extra government funding to re-establish native woodland such as Bad an Sgalag and since 1997 they have planted thousands of native trees in this area, which you can see all the way along this walk.
Along the track you will see different coloured post markers pointing you in different directions on different walks. Ignore all these and stay on the track which after about 5km you come across the Grouse Stone and the Deer Fence. There are quite a few signs along the route up to this point telling you the history of the place and the hopes for the future which you will find interesting.
In front of you for most of the walk is Beinn an Eoin which looks rather imposing until you get up close. A little further on and you get great views of Slioch.
Bad an Sgalag to Loch Na H-Oidhche 19-2-11 R (13).JPG
Slioch again
You also get great views of Baosbheinn
Bad an Sgalag to Loch Na H-Oidhche 19-2-11 R (7).JPG
Baosbheinn
You continue along the path on a slow ascent to the Loch. You will also start to see Ceann Beag, Stuc Loch na Cabhaig, Beinn Dearg and Carn na Feola as you near the Loch.
Bad an Sgalag to Loch Na H-Oidhche 19-2-11 (36).JPG
Almost at the Loch
Once you reach the Loch there are some mighty fine views and you'll be glad that you came. There is a boat shed here which is unlocked and you could stop here for lunch and return if you wish as the walk to the end of the Loch is a lot longer than you first think.
Bad an Sgalag to Loch Na H-Oidhche 19-2-11 (40).JPG
Boat Shed next to Loch

We continued down the side of the Loch for another 30 mins but decided to stop before we reached Poca Buidhe as we starting to feel a little leg weary and there was a sudden change in weather. Luckily we had not felt any of the 70mph gusts predicted on the summits but there was an increase in the wind and the sky had started to get rather dark. So we sat behind a huge boulder out of the wind and had a quick lunch. We returned along the same track and were soon enough back at the car.
All in all we had a really good day out. The weather was kind and there were some fine views to be had. You can make this walk as short or as long as you like but I would certainly recommend getting to Loch na h-Oidhche.
HighlandTrekker
Munro compleatist

Munros:74   Corbetts:13
Fionas:4   

Re: Loch na-h-Oidhche

Postby rockhopper » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:05 pm

:D Great to see this route again

Used to walk it when up in Poolewe on family holidays in late 70's/early 80's.

Mountain biked it right up to Poca Buidhe in summer 2009 - but did have to carry the bike part of the way :lol:
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby HighlandTrekker » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:06 pm

rockhopper wrote::D Great to see this route again

Used to walk it when up in Poolewe on family holidays in late 70's/early 80's.

Mountain biked it right up to Poca Buidhe in summer 2009 - but did have to carry the bike part of the way :lol:

Wow, you're bike must have better suspension than mine :shock:
HighlandTrekker
Munro compleatist

Postby rockhopper » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:15 pm

HighlandTrekker wrote:Wow, you're bike must have better suspension than mine
Probably not.....it's a rockhopper hardtail.......and I had a very "hardtail" after cycling it :lol: :lol: also cycled the path from Sheildaig up to Loch a'Bhealaich again because I used to walk it.....from memory the problem with this one was the boggy terrain rather than the stony path to poca buidhe... (hope I'm not mixing them up :?) all good fun though :D
rockhopper

Postby HighlandTrekker » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:30 pm

rockhopper wrote:
HighlandTrekker wrote:Wow, you're bike must have better suspension than mine
Probably not.....it's a rockhopper hardtail.......and I had a very "hardtail" after cycling it :lol: :lol: also cycled the path from Sheildaig up to Loch a'Bhealaich again because I used to walk it.....from memory the problem with this one was the boggy terrain rather than the stony path to poca buidhe... (hope I'm not mixing them up :?) all good fun though :D

I bought a couple of bikes for me & the mrs a couple of years ago to try and cut down on a bit of the walk-in, but haven't used them yet. Saying that I would defo not use them on the Poca Buidhe track..... :shock: They cost less than £100 and I got a puncture the other day on a flat road.... :?
HighlandTrekker
Munro compleatist

Postby kinley » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:53 pm

Nice walk :D

Not sure how windy it would have been on the tops. We were on Bidein Clann Raonaild above Kinlochewe Sat afternoon and it wasn't very windy.

Wonder what it was like higher up.
kinley

Postby audreywaugh » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:21 pm

Good report and great to see photos of this route, we are going up to Gairloch in June and are planning this route and have been wondering how easy it would be to bike in (think someone else biked in on another report?), any info appreciate. Path looks good down at the boathouse even, is it like that all the way? :D
audreywaugh
Wanderer

Munros:196   Corbetts:46
Fionas:14   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:25   Hewitts:48
Wainwrights:47   Islands:20

Postby rockhopper » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:37 pm

audreywaugh wrote: and have been wondering how easy it would be to bike in :D
My recollection is that it was bikeable up to the loch although there were sections which were very rubbly/rocky and hard to cycle over but you just need to keep the wheels rolling. However, I think the section along the side of the loch was harder but not the whole way. On the way back down I remember that my front wheel came loose in the QR housing so it must have been quite rough. I've added a couple of photos from the Poca Buidhe end of the loch although the weather was mostly cold and wet that day.
DSCF0003 (Large).JPG

DSCF0006 (Large).JPG
rockhopper

Postby malky_c » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:48 pm

It was me that biked in and wrote a report. I'd agree it's pretty rough, and I didn't go all the way to the loch in the end. That was partly as I had the option of leaving the track at that point, and partly because it was barely any faster than walking from that point on!

Going back downhill felt incredibly fast due to the roughness, but averaged out at only 7 mph! Not sure how much time it saved in the end - maybe an hour. But it was good fun :)
malky_c

Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby HighlandTrekker » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:20 am

audreywaugh wrote:Good report and great to see photos of this route, we are going up to Gairloch in June and are planning this route and have been wondering how easy it would be to bike in (think someone else biked in on another report?), any info appreciate. Path looks good down at the boathouse even, is it like that all the way? :D

If you're a walker who wants to shorten the journey by taking a bike don't bother.... If you're a serious biker and confident off road you might enjoy it. :) As someone else said it is downhill for most of the way back... But there are sections where the path is very stony and rough going and personally (being a walker) I wouldn't take a bike down there....... :D
Hope that helps....
HighlandTrekker
Munro compleatist

Postby audreywaugh » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:12 pm

Thanks for the info guys, mucho appreciated! I remember now Malky that it was your report I read as it was the same day as we did Beinn Damh in terrific weather. Might give the bike a go just for the fun of it, I don't mind rough stoney tracks and love a fast downhill on the way back 8) ...
audreywaugh
Wanderer

Munros:196   Corbetts:46
Fionas:14   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:25   Hewitts:48
Wainwrights:47   Islands:20

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland