walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgurr an Airgid in September

Sgurr an Airgid in September

Postby Dominyka0119 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:15 pm

Route description: Sgùrr an Airgid

Corbetts included on this walk: Sgùrr an Airgid

Date walked: 26/09/2020

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 10.5 km

Ascent: 932m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A couple of years ago, I went to Isle of Skye by bus - we passed Glen Shiel, and I was so astonished by the place, by those huge, old and silent mountains, that I promised myself to come back once and explore the area. Finally, I had the possibility to make a short weekend trip to highlands with my flatmates, and we headed to the very same place.
As we had quite a long journey from Glasgow, we decided not to choose the most challenging hikes, and Sgurr an Airgid seemed like a decent option. And we did not regret! A clear path is easy to follow, no special skills/scrambling needed. We were also extremely lucky with the weather - happened to be a warm and sunny day of September (maybe some of the last hits of summer).

Pretty views towards Beinn Fhada...
DSC_0176.jpg

And River Croe flowing to Loch Duich:
DSC_0184.jpg

Moving up - getting hotter!
DSC_0267.jpg

Just before the final stage to the summit, we were rewarded with spectacular views across the wilds - fields with such a strong spirit. Probably my favourite part of hiking is being able to spend some time in such 'nowhere' lands...
DSC_0268.jpg

DSC_0270.jpg

Finally on the top - blue and dreamy Isle of Skye can be seen in the horizont :)

DSC_0278.jpg

Our beautiful team :)

DSC_0309.jpg

Some more pics from the summit:

DSC_0313.jpg

DSC_0318.jpg

After some rest and picnic in the wind, we traced our steps back. River Croe was curving through the valley.

DSC_0322.jpg

And how can a trip to highlands be without our loveliest friends :)

DSC_0327.jpg

We were almost back to the car park, the sun was running down - when we've witnessed this magnificent scenery over the mouth of River Croe - never have I seen such a beauty of waters before! Was slightly jealous for those living in tiny white houses nearby :)

DSC_0329.jpg

DSC_0345.jpg

DSC_0350.jpg
Dominyka0119
Hill Bagger

Munros:11   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Sgurr an Airgid in September

Postby litljortindan » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:12 pm

I was there last month too and was also struck by the relative wilderness looking north towards Torridon but my eye was mostly drawn to the Isles and to that towering view over Loch Duich.
The wee white houses are beautiful but probably beset by wee midges in the summer!
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland