walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Big Bike Hike Day 1-Murky Lurgy and 'Cheesecake.'

The Big Bike Hike Day 1-Murky Lurgy and 'Cheesecake.'

Postby JimboJim » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:36 am

Route description: Bidein a' Choire Sheasgaich and Lurg Mhòr

Munros included on this walk: Bidein a' Choire Sheasgaich, Lurg Mhòr

Date walked: 16/09/2020

Time taken: 8.1 hours

Distance: 38 km

Ascent: 1530m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So the clock was ticking away, as was my tiny, wee brain. Opportunity for a couple of days away looked on, but what hills to do? Don't ask why, but I think weather nudged me to look at several long trips, which could all be made that bit easier by use of a bike, to a greater or, lesser degree.

First on the list was a trip back to the Strathcarron area to have a go at Lurg Mhor and Bidean a'Choire Sheasgaich. Met Office forecast was wall to wall sunshine from late morning and no mention of the strong breeze that hit me as soon as I got out the car. Ehhh?! :shock: Not only that, it was coming straight from the east. Cold and right in my face most of the journey in.
Lurg Cona 001_1024_715.JPG
Finally huffed and puffed my way in as far as Bendronaig Lodge.

Those who have done the trip will know how arduous the walk/cycle can be, so the wind was not welcome one bit. The thought that it would be behind me on the way back was not much compensation, my cynical mind promptly deciding it would no doubt die down by then and my even more pessimistic mind, deciding that it would have turned 180 degrees and be against me on way out, too! :lol:
Lurg Cona 002_1024_754.JPG
And the Bothy.

It sure was hard work pushing the bike up those steeper sections and sometimes just about as hard getting into the saddle on some downhills. I was having to work harder than I ought, to justify taking the bike however, eventually Bendronaig Lodge and bothy began to grow from a mere speck to their full size.
Lurg Cona 002a_576_768.jpg
Below the hydro dam.

I just kept to the new track (Hydro) then deposited the bike at the bothy, before heading for the rickety old bridge and pass through to Loch Calavine. The bridge is indeed rickety, but two ladies crossed it on the way back without misadventure. I took the cowards route going and coming :D
Lurg Cona 003_990_768.JPG
The rickety old bridge across the Allt Coire na Sorna, toward Loch Calavine.

Was a bit surprised to meet a few folk heading the opposite way, but turned out they were doing the Cape Wrath Trail. Hardy people! By now my thoughts and glances were increasingly turning skywards, looking for the promised sun. I think MWIS was on 70 or 80% for clear summits. Wasn't looking hopeful looking over Loch Calavine toward Mullardoch hills, or from signposts, up to the bealach between Lurg Mhor and Ba'CS. This stretch didn't look too arduous, but was to prove otherwise. Probably an indicator the trip had taken more out me than I thought.
Lurg Cona 004_1024_697.JPG
Look back to the bothy and road in/out.
Lurg Cona 008_1024_768.JPG
Loch Calavine, the Mullardoch hills beyond and a hint which way to go.

By time I was at the bealach, I had to get the compass out and was probably muttering curses about the Met Office, MWIS and anything else I could moan about. I was looking to the slope up Lurg Mhor, when much to my surprise two figures appeared, descending from the fog. It is a petty thing, but gives me a small thrill to know I was first on the summit on any given day. Alas, another reason to moan :lol:

Had a nice wee blether with the ladies who had set off from their camper van at Attadale earlier in the morning. I was less confident in their reassurance the top would be clear by time I got there. Despite a slight brightening of the fog, my suspicions were to be proved correct. Can't remember for sure, but think I was about 4 hrs to here.
Lurg Cona 010_1024_768.JPG
At least I could see the cairn :)
Lurg Cona 012_1024_768.JPG
Summit, Lurg Mhor.

Reversed the compass bearing and set off for Bidein a'Choire Sheasgaich, where I berated the ladies for raising my hopes and also met a chap, who had come in from Craig. He looked as tired as me :shock: He had gone a bit off track, but felt his route was the more arduous. I don't plan to return to prove his theory correct :lol:
Lurg Cona 014_1024_768.JPG
A view, of sorts.
Lurg Cona 015_1024_768.JPG
Looking back to Lurg Mhor, stubbornly refuse to throw of the clag coat.
Lurg Cona 016_1024_768.JPG
Didn't realise it at the time, but this was looking across to the back of Sgurr Choinnich and Sgurr a'Chaorachain.

Anyway, the views from the Cheesecake were as good as the first Munro. Zilch! I had been contemplating returning via the bealach, but decided to keep to the WH's route. Fortunately, between compass, bits of track and good luck, I managed to find my way back down to Sail Riabhach fairly well, much to my relief. By this time the cloud was making more effort to clear and I was now beginning to spot the Torridon hills, Skye and the road back out from Bendronaig. C'est la vie!
Lurg Cona 017_1024_709.JPG
Bendronaig.
Lurg Cona 018_1024_768.JPG
About all I saw of Loch Monar.
Lurg Cona 019_1024_768.JPG
Bidein a'Choire Sheasgaich, where cheesecake comes from :)
Lurg Cona 019a_576_768.jpg
Not looking my best :)

Descent off Sail Riabhach was a bit hit and miss on some rough ground, but after that it was all back on the Land Rover track. My earlier pessimistic suspicion about the wind direction was proved wrong, but my cynicism over the wind strength dying away was proved very correct :( The journey back out however, was much easier, aside from one or two uphill stretches and the fact one has to concentrate very seriously on the braking on many of the steep, windy, stony descents.
Lurg Cona 025_1024_768.JPG
Views across to An Ruadh-stac, Beinn Damh behind and Maol Chean-dearg begin to open up on the descent.
Lurg Cona 025a_1024_768.jpg
An Ruadh-stac, Maol Chean-dearg and Beinn Alligin, I think.
Lurg Cona 028_1024_681.JPG
More guesswork. Fuar Tholl, with Sgorr Ruadh, behind, Beinn Liath Mhor, to the right.
Lurg Cona 029_1024_743.JPG
Looking down to the bothy and the long road out.
Lurg Cona 031_1024_768.JPG
Descended down here.
Lurg Cona 031a_1024_768.jpg
The bothy and hills left behind. Summits still in the clag, though Lurg Mhor, just about clear.

I tried to push on near the end, but wasn't able to beat the 8 hour mark. Not to worry, it had been a testing day and a nice meal and few pints would ease the pain, back at the Lochcarron Hotel, where I was to meet a couple of nice bikers and spend the night with my Kindle. No chair up against the door, Pam :wink: :lol: :lol: xXx
Lurg Cona 034_1024_666.JPG
A look across to Attadale and the road winding up the hill, next morning
Lurg Cona 035_1024_757.JPG
Peaceful Lochcarron after breakfast.

That story led to a hilarious night in Kilmartin, with Gavin, Carol and Andy, but that's one for a different blog 😁
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:24   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland