walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Big Bike Hike Day 2- Beinn Dearg Trio. Knee bother!

The Big Bike Hike Day 2- Beinn Dearg Trio. Knee bother!

Postby JimboJim » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:07 am

Route description: Beinn Dearg - the Four Munros circuit

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Dearg (Ullapool), Cona' Mheall, Eididh nan Clach Geala, Meall nan Ceapraichean

Date walked: 17/09/2020

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 25.2 km

Ascent: 1369m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Lovely, calm morning waking up in Lochcarron. The knock on the door through the night never materialised, but the Kindle had come in handy :lol: (private joke). Had light breakfast, settled up and hit the road around 8, aiming to revisit Inverlael, to do the Beinn Dearg trio. (Eididh nan Clach Geala was already in the bag after an earlier visit to Seana Bhraigh.)
Lurg Cona 034_1024_666.JPG
Across Lochcarron to Attadale, before heading off for Beinn Dearg.

Forecast when I'd left home was for a clear day, but like the day before on Lurg Mhor, I was to be left doing plenty of grumping about the Met Office. Car park was very busy when I got there. Looked like plenty of others weren't too concerned about stalking issues. I had tried to contact estates for clear advice, but didn't have the easiest of times, unlike the Lurg Mhor trip.
Lurg Cona 035_1024_757.JPG
Lochcarron, much calmer than day before.

Anyway, soon had the bike unloaded and making descent progress up to Glensquaib. Not sure exactly when or, where but soon began to feel a not unfamiliar ache, particularly in right knee. Damn, that doesn't feel nice. Hope that won't get worse! Hard to know what caused it, either the cycling, tough day before, plus I'd jolted one of my knee's jumping from a rock, coming of Liathach a few weeks earlier.
Lurg Cona 040_1024_768.JPG
Nice spot at Loch Lathail, as the young couple blast on up toward Bealach an Lochan Uaine.

Left the bike at the turning circle, but the nagging knees stayed with me the remainder of the day, progressively getting more painful. Should I have called things off a lot earlier? Probably, but not an easy decision to make, so far from home, great hills and good forecast.
Lurg Cona 040b_1024_768.jpg
Lochan Lathail. was more uaine, than Lochan Uaine :)

Continued on the long but, pleasant grind toward the bealach between Beinn Dearg and Meall nan Ceapraichean. Went a bit off track after crossing burn nearing Coire Mathair Lathail. Cost me a bit of time and pain going over horrible ground, before working back onto the route which lies much closer to the high sides of the crags than I found myself.

Nice spot at Lochan Lathail and zig-zagging up to Lochan Uaine. Had a bit of a blether with a young couple who had went galloping past the old codger and they voiced similar frustration, as did several others, at yesterday's Met Office forecast and thus far today, as Beinn Dearg and others remained shrouded in thick fog.
Lurg Cona 048_1024_768.JPG
Left behind, as the quicker one's head up the dyke.

Fortunately the youngsters soon finished their grub and made off for the start of the main climb, leading the way ahead for me, though one soon comes to the amazingly long dyke which climbs up the NE side and across the mountain. I'm sure I am not the only one one to marvel at the dyke builders and wonder just 'why??' :)
Lurg Cona 050_1024_768.JPG
Across to Meall nan Ceapraichean, heading up Beinn Dearg.

It is quite steep and rocky going up the side of the wall, though I subsequently found there is quite a lot of good, easy path out to the north side By now there were quite a few groups about, almost all going quicker than myself. Nevertheless, I was happy just to make it to the summit, after the short haul from the break in the dyke. Alas, another viewless summit. This is becoming a bit of a habit!
Lurg Cona 053_1024_768.JPG
Summit, Beinn Dearg. Another viewless one.
Lurg Cona 058_1024_768.JPG
Over the lochans to Meall nan Ceapraichean.

Took more of the path on the way down before crossing back to the wall, then traversing round to the next bealach to begin the haul up Cona Mheall, by which time there were positive signs of the clag beginning to lift from the summits. Hurrah!

The general route of ascent tends to drift diagonally right(SE) away from the cairn on top of Cona Mheall, but the climb seemed fairly quick and easy despite the pain from knees. From the summit enjoyed better views toward Loch Priille and waterfall at its south end, Seana Bhraigh and closer tops. By now, Meall nan Ceapraichean looked a fair way away, if not too challenging, though even the traverse back round to Lochain Uaine was by now a grind.
Lurg Cona 066_1024_768.JPG
On the summit of Cona Mheall.
Lurg Cona 072_1024_768.JPG
Steall Coir Lair, from Cona Mheall.
Lurg Cona 072a_1024_768.jpg
Loch Prille.
Lurg Cona 074_1023_768.JPG
A spy - or, just a plant? :)
Lurg Cona 078a_1013_768.jpg
At last, Beinn Dearg emerges, as I head off Cona Mheall.
Lurg Cona 080_1024_768.JPG
Coire Ghranda, out to Loch Glascarnoch.

It was now just a case of keeping going to the third summit. Boy, was I glad I had the foresight to do EnCG before :D I severely doubted whether I could have pushed myself on to include it, though I knew the return back to the bealach and out would be no cakewalk either. On way down met chap who'd set off walking, as I set off on bike, which didn't exactly boost the morale either, then another guy who was carrying his bike! Not sure if I picked him up right, but think he has done round of Munros before :shock:
Lurg Cona 083_1024_768.JPG
Folk heading up Meall nan Ceapraichean.
Lurg Cona 084_1024_768.JPG
Across to Eididh nan Clach Geala.
Lurg Cona 086_1024_768.JPG
Very grey, perhaps should describe it as silvery, looking over to Seana Bhraigh.
Lurg Cona 088_1024_768.JPG
Cona Mheall, from McC.
Lurg Cona 091_1024_768.JPG
Out to Loch Broom and Ullapool.
Lurg Cona 092_1024_768.JPG
Gleann na Squaib. The long way in/out.
Lurg Cona 093_1024_768.JPG
I think An Teallach should be out there somewhere?
Lurg Cona 095_1024_768.JPG
Finally, on summit of #3.

Managed to keep to the track on way back to bike, though by now I was having major reservations about whether I would manage Day 3 - Ben Alder? The cycle out was indeed a pleasure, as very little pedal power is required. Finally, trundled back to the car in seven and a half hours. Tired, sore but, still thrilled with a fine trek into the hills.
Lurg Cona 106_1024_768.JPG
Look back to the bealach, heading for home.

Enjoyed the drive to the Waverly, Dingwall and nice meal, pint or, two in the Mallard, tho their social distancing left a bit to be desired.
Lurg Cona 112_1024_731.JPG
Heading for Dingwall. Reversal of earlier view from Loch Glascaroch, up to Beinn Dearg and Cona Mheall.
Lurg Cona 113b_1024_768.jpg
Had a nice evening in Dingwall and was impressed with their war memorial.

As for the Big Bike Hike Day 3? It didnae happen :lol: For once, probably did the right thing in the morning when one or, two niggles got the message through to me - just go home and what a beautiful dtive, on a superb day it was, but not ample compensation for missing Alder.
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:23   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland